University of Canberra Stromlo Forest Park (UC Stromlo, former Stromlo Forest Park), Canberra, ACT
University of Canberra Stromlo Forest Park (UC Stromlo) is located in the heart of the Molonglo Valley, an easy 15 minute drive (15km) from the Canberra CBD. UC Stromlo can also be accessed by bike or horse through Canberra’s extensive path and trail networks. There is no direct public transport.
The main gate and vehicle access can be found at Dave McInnes Road off Opperman Avenue, via John Gorton Drive. Stromlo Forest Park is a public MTB track and you can ride it in the lead up to the race.
Parking – Attention! Temporary traffic and parking arrangements are in place from Monday, 7 August 2023 due to carpark (re-)construction. Event Parking info below and CLICK on “show more” for public parking details.
Event parking: enter via Cotter Road and drive West towards the Stromlo Observatory, turn right into Mt Stromlo Road and then right again after about 100m. Drive through the open gates onto the gravel road which takes you to the Southern end of the Stromlo Crit Track. Event Parking is on the Crit track, follow the signs.
Public Parking: Currently, alternative temporary carparking options published – for more information and parking maps, please check the UC Stromlo website HERE.
- Temporary carparking along Old Uriarra Road, located to the left of the main entry. Access is then a walk or slow cycle ride towards the Pavilion along the Criterium track extension, and then along a portion of a barricaded Dave McInnes Drive.
- Temporary grass carpark accessed from Mount Stromlo Road.
- Bushfire Memorial carpark accessed from Swallowtail Road.
- Unsealed lower level parking at Stromlo Leisure Centre.
For those with disability parking needs, you can find suitable spots at the above-mentioned Parking Locations 1, 2 & 3. If you’re dropping off a visitor, feel free to use the main gate of the Park, exiting around Stromlo Leisure Centre.show less
Camping: You can camp at the Stromlo crit track near the AMB100 event centre on the Saturday night. Please go to the event registration tent and our team will direct you to where you may set up for the night. For accommodation offers in Canberra, visit our “Capital Destination Guide for Rocky Trail Racers“
14/09/23, 8pm confirmed and final with slight decrease in lap length and elevation:
Race Track Stats
- Course length 28.2km.
- Climbing 760m per lap.
- Approximately 75% of the trails in Stromlo used or partially used.
- Single track is broken up by 11 sections of forest trail.
- Two major climbs: the gentler front face to City View (5km at an average of 5%) and the more punishing “Casuarina Climb” on the northern side (2km at an average of over 10%).
- Starting on the northern end of the Crit Track head up to the Dave McInness Dr but head through the gate onto the “Pipe Line” track. Stay Left!!!
- Head down the “Pipeline” track to behind the 4X hill join “Rascals” track behind the 4X hill then onto “Fence Line” to “Cockatoo Switchbacks”.
- Head up the first major climb, including “Cockatoo Switch Backs”, “Blue Gums”, “Bobby Pin Climb”, “Emu Run”, “ABC Switch Backs”, and “City View” to the highest point of the course. Use “Tall Trees”, “Western Wedge Tail”, “Sunset Boulevard”, “Brindabella” to descend to the lowest point of the track at the end of “Deep Creek”.
- Climbing up Mountain View forest road will give riders a chance to overtake before dropping into the “Three Amigos” and the midpoint of the course before heading back up “Missing Link”.
- “Double Dissolution” down and back up the “Crim Track” to start the second major climb and the Q/KOM, including “After Party” and the notorious “Casuarina Climb”.
- Recovery will be possible on “Skyline” and “Luge” which will bring you tantalisingly close to the event hub only to be denied by “Blackberry Climb”.
- “Slant Six” takes you over to the “Willo Junction” for the first of 3 visits.
- Up “Blue Tongue” and down “Little Seymour” back to “Willo Junction” then along “Willo Link” turning left to the Reservoir Link forest trail down to “Little Dingo”, “White Gums”, and “Ringtail” back to “Willo Junction” for the last time.
- Down “Breakout” onto the first section of “Muck Raker” to “Home View Junction” and the cruise down “Old Duffy Descent” to turn left onto the Pipeline forest trail. Stay Left!!! Swing around onto the entrance to the Crit Track and the start finish ahead.
- There may be changes to the trails depending on trail conditions.
More information about Stromlo Forest Park can be found here: www.stromloforestpark.com.au