- Effervelo Gravel participants must utilise an approved bicycle. This bicycle must have two hand-operated brakes.
- Participants must wear an Australian Approved helmet while operating their bicycle.
- Participants must pass over the tracking/timing mats at each of the official checkpoints. Cut-off times will be established for reaching each checkpoint for rider safety.
- Effervelo Gravel Participants are responsible for themselves throughout the duration of the event. This includes:
- Navigation of the course. While we will mark significant turns on the course, you should not rely on course markings. We have navigation resources for you on our website which includes GPS files.
- Interaction with local vehicle traffic. Roads are open to the public and participants are expected to follow ACT road and bicycle laws (copy available, click here).
- The primary route must be followed at all times. No short cuts or alternate routes are permitted.
- Drafting on another event participant is allowed, drafting behind vehicles is not.
- Participant “Number Plates” MUST be affixed to the front of the handlebars. Participant “Number Plates” MUST NOT be bent, folded, wrapped around the head tube, or in any other position than flat against the handle bars. Improper attachment of the race plate will cause tracking/timing chips not to register.
- Number/Chipped Plates will have a transponder affixed for safety and record of rider. This is a RIDE not race.
- E-Bikes are welcome (see entry page); please be aware that Rocky Trail’s eBike Policy applies. Rocky Trail requires all e-Bikes used at our events to comply with Australian Standards. – Find out more here.
- No results will be published
Emergency and evacuation plan
At Rocky Trail, the safety and well-being of our participants are of paramount importance. As the Effervelo Quest takes place in the magnificent Brindabella Ranges, we want to ensure that all riders are adequately prepared for any unforeseen circumstances.
What we provide:
- Support crew and vehicles (mobile and stationary at feedzones)
- Event hub and comms centre
- Feedzones with food, hydration, energy snacks and a pumped crew ready to send you back out with a smile
- Course-marking on key intersections – you must have a navigation device that displays the GPX file of your chosen Effervelo Quest.
- A sweeper vehicle / rider
What you are responsible for:
- Bring your own snacks and hydration to sustain you in between feed zones, you may refuel your supplies at the feedzones, which you will pass multiple times (see track guide)
- We recommend you carry a minimum of 750ml of water/hydration, ie one large drink bottle or a hydration pack, which you may refill in the event centre and at the feedzones
- Carry basic bike repair tools, and appropriate clothing for changing weather conditions.
- You must download the GPX file of your chosen Effervelo Quest and be able to navigate your way along the course.
Please carefully review the following emergency and evacuation plan to familiarize yourself with the procedures in place.
Course Communication and Navigation:
a. Limited Phone Reception: Please be aware that the majority of the course WILL NOT have phone reception. We strongly advise riders to not solely rely on mobile devices for communication during the event.
b. GPX File Download: It is mandatory for all participants to download the GPX file of their chosen course before the event. This will enable riders to navigate independently, even in areas with limited or no course markings or if course markings have been compromised (ie, by weather, wild life etc.).
Emergency Contact Information: Before the event, ensure that you have your emergency contact information readily available. This includes adding the name, phone number, and any medical conditions or allergies of the person to contact in case of an emergency when prompted in the online registration process or to our team on the day.
On-Course Safety Measures:
a. Course Markings: Effervelo Quest will provide course markings and signage to guide riders along the routes. These markings will be clearly visible and strategically placed at key points throughout the course. Please remember that it is mandatory for all participants to download the GPX file of their chosen course before the event. This will enable riders to navigate independently, even in areas with limited or no course markings or if course markings have been compromised (ie, by weather, wild life etc.).
b. Support Crew: Our dedicated support crew will be stationed at the marked feedzones and at various locations along the course to offer assistance and support if needed. They will be equipped with emergency supplies and will be able to communicate with the event organisers if necessary.
a. Emergency Situations: In the event of an emergency, prioritize your safety and the safety of others. If you witness an accident or injury, immediately alert the nearest rider or support crew member for assistance.
b. Self-Sufficiency: As a big proportion of the course may be remote and in wilderness areas, riders should carry essential items for self-sufficiency, such as extra water, food, basic bike repair tools, and appropriate clothing for changing weather conditions.
a. Emergency Check Points: we will have designated emergency check points at feed zones and along the course. These locations will be communicated to participants before the event and marked.
b. Support and Transportation: In case of a serious emergency or injury, the support crew will coordinate with emergency services and provide transportation to the nearest medical facility or suitable evacuation point.
Please note that as the organisers of the Effervelo Quest we encourage participants to ride responsibly, respect the environment, and adhere to all safety guidelines provided. The wilderness and remoteness of the course in the Brindabella Ranges should be considered with caution, and participants should prepare accordingly.
Remember, the spirit of adventure and the pursuit of effervescence are at the heart of the Effervelo Quest. By being prepared, vigilant, and responsible, we can ensure a safe and unforgettable experience for all riders.
Please familiarise yourself with the emergency and evacuation plan, follow the provided guidelines, and enjoy the breathtaking landscapes and challenging gravel roads of Effervelo Quest with confidence.