Welcome to the Jetblack Wild Wombat event weekend with the Shimano MTB GP and Trail Running Race in Mogo 2022!
Make this a smashfest, show off your sponsor logos, re-kindle your love for racing or catch the racing bug with us!
MOGO EVENT BRIEFING
We can’t wait to see you smashing it! Remember, your race photos are included in your entry. Be sure to download them after the race and share your stories using:
ABOUT the venue
Deep Creek Dam Loop | Deep Creek Dam Rd, Mogo NSW 2536 – enter via Eurobodalla Regional Botanic Garden access road.
The forecast for the weekend is good. We expect the wet weather to ease during Friday and the tracks have been holding up well. The race conditions should be good.
Schedule – for all participants
All day The track is marked and you can practice on it but we won’t have any services (marshals, first aid) in place.
7:30-8:45 am Registration open to pick up your number plate
8.45 am Rider call up, be race ready.
The official rider briefing usually held before the race start will be available online before the race.
9 am Race start
1.00 pm Race finish – you finish the lap you are on but can’t start a new one.
approx. 1.45pm Last Rider and Sweeper across the line and event finishes.
2.00 pm Ceremony
8 am – 11 am You can pick up your number plate at the start
11am (approx.) Free kids running race near event centre
8 am – 2.00 pm RUN You can start anytime after 8 am.
1 pm Last Lap Start. You must start your final lap before this time.
Event Facilities & Services:
- Event centre: is located on the Dam Wall at the end of Deep Creek Dam Road.
- Parking: along Deep Creek Dam Road. Enter off the highway through the botanic garden gates.
- Food/Drinks: sadly we haven’t been able to find a food or coffee van; however, the botanic garden café is a short stroll or bike ride away.
- Tech Support: Fizo Cycling will be on-site to help with mechanical issues.
- Toilets: portable toilets on-site.
- Camping: not available, but lots of options in the area. Check out our #rockytrailracer visitor guide with accommodation offers.
- Water: Please bring your own supplies.
- MEDICAL: On-site in the event centre and roaming out on track. The Race Director mobile number is available on your race plate for any issues out on track.
Plan your Visit
Event Format SATURDAY
Race track used
Deep Creek Dam loop. Some pinch climbs, a fast course, not many sections to rest. A true XC challenge! The MTB race will be lap-based, so the 8-9km loop will have to be completed as often as possible in the 4 or 7 hours by solo or relay team racers. The full loop for MTB is approximately 8-9km.
How it works
Solo racers and pairs teams race for 4 hours and receive a placing across age categories for adults and junior shredders and in the General Classification (GC).
- 9am mass start for all riders
- Complete as many laps as you can in 4 hours.
- You may start your last lap by 12:59pm (the 3:59 hour mark) and that lap still counts.
- Solos – you keep going round and round.
- Teams – this is a pairs realy, only one of you may be out on the race track at any time. There are now strict rules on how many laps each pairs racer must complete. As soon as the team records one lap you’re in the results.
As with all disciplines of riding, GP/XC has changed, and we are aligning with those changes. The Olympics saw much shorter, punchier short course and marathon has trended toward faster courses.
We also want to shine more of a spotlight on people that do this sport well, as its equally important as descending a million miles a hour.
What you are racing for
Each race offers official winners race plates, which is a set of special additional classifications:
- KOM/QOM with a polka dot race plate,
- Junior Sprint Winner (male/female U18 fastest lap time) in white,
- Best Sprinter for the fastest adult lap time (male/female) in green and a
- Solo GC Winner plate in yellow for male and female outright solo winners.
Racing the series
We will deliver the most expansive 4-Hour XC Series with events in NSW, ACT, QLD and VIC. Here is the the way we will calculate points.show more
- You will get points against your name in the category you are racing in. Meaning that if you swap teams, which is likely to happen with such a big line up of events, you will not loose your hard earned points but keep accumulating them.
- Each event offers a stand-alone race and race winners in the age categories are awarded with trophy number plates and accolade plaques, which can be collected and displayed on the number plates.
- Each race also offers the opportunity to accumulate points to go into the overall series ranking and the new points classification across all Rocky Trail events, which will form the “league of extraordinary #rockytrailracers”.
- Each race result and the relevant points count towards a rider’s series rankings.
- The series will be split into: NSW/ACT, Queensland, Victoria and additionally we will crown the overall Australian Shimano MTB GP Champions.
- Riders need to complete at least 2 races in one category to be eligible for an individual series podium ranking. Every race counts.
Event Format SUNDAY
- We will be running on the Deep Creek Dam Loop, the same track that the mountain bikers will race on the day before.
- In the Rocky Trail Run, we will have a start and finish timing point and the timed section (in yellow below) for the run is approximately 7km with an elevation of 128vm.
How it works
You can choose between the following different challenges:
- Rocky Trail Run Single | 1 lap of the Dam Loop | 7km
- Rocky Trail Run Double | 2 laps of the Dam Loop | 14km
- Rocky Trail Run Triple | 3 laps of the Dam Loop | 21km
Run the Deep Creek Dam loop 1x, 2x or 3x between 8am and 2pm! There are no start orders and we will set up the timing points so you can refuel in between laps.
- You can have a break in between laps. Once you have completed a lap your time stops and restarts again when you start the next lap.
- If you abandon the lap you can restart it.
- Because your time stops between laps you have plenty of time to eat, drink and refresh.
- The rules and regulations will be communicated directly in more detail via the Rider Briefing ahead of each event and our website and social media channels.
What you are racing for
- Podium medals by category 1-2-3
Race plates with passive timing chips, automatic race timing and LIVE results online all day.
You don’t need to be a member of any cycling association to race with Rocky Trail. Some offer great insurance packages which are worthwhile checking out and you are in charge of your own health insurance when racing with us.
Rocky Trail Merchandise:
- New Dharco Stock! $75 (short sleeve) and $85 (long sleeve)
- Socks $15
- Mudguards $20
- NEW Rocky Trail hats made from recycled materials “eco-choice” – $30
- Available from the Rocky Trail rego desk all weekend!
Outer Image Collective photographers will be on site to snap that action photo you have been dreaming about.
Rocky Trail is always looking for crew to support the riders. If you can lend a hand either Saturday or Sunday complete our online form https://rockytrailentertainment.com/home/volunteering/ to be part of the team. Rocky Trail racers love seeing supporters at our events.
Event updates during the race / weekend:
We always announce any major updates including any new COVID restriction announcements mainly via the FB event page, as well as our news blog and email newsletters. Please feel comfortable to register knowing we will refund or transfer your entry if QLD tips upside down like the other states.
Rider List and Results
All weekend you can find links to Rider List and LIVE Results via the drop-down menu from the event page on our website! Before the race day the page will display the RIDER LIST and from the race start onwards it will switch to LIVE then on Sunday after the race to final results. You can check these now and throughout the weekend via your mobile devices – to reduce touch points we will not have any public display computers on-site.
COVID-specific Event Guidelines
How are we running this event and how do we keep you safe?
Rocky Trail Covid-19 safety guidelines:
- BEFORE THE RACE: If any of the following applies please contact us immediately.
We will transfer or refund your entry but you CAN NOT PARTICIPATE in the event:
- If you are showing any signs of the cold or flu.
- If you have a fever.
- ON RACE DAY: There are a few important changes on how we run things on the day:
- ACCESS: Race tracks are closed to the general public.
- RACE PLATE: You can pick up your race plate with the timing chip from the rego and info point – check the schedule for opening times.
- This way we avoid queues near the registration area.
- RACING & ETIQUETTE: Please adhere to SOCIAL DISTANCING rules!
- If you queue up at a start line please leave a bike length between each other.
- Overall we don’t expect much queuing as the field will spread quickly.
- When you finish your race please give each other as much space as possible.
- RESULTS & CEREMONY:
- Race results are LIVE throughout the day.
- Access race results via the website.
- Giveaways for every racer.
Now, get ready!
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)