Confirmed: venue change to Ourimbah MTB Park near Wyong

7 September 2017, 10am

We are confirming that the venue for the 2017 Diamonds in the Dirt event will be Ourimbah MTB Park on Saturday, 9 September.

According to State Forests, the fire containment lines are holding and while there is only a very small chance that the fire will reach the Awaba trails we won’t take any chances. Awaba MTB Park has very dense bushland characteristics and no wide open spaces where we could evacuate people to quickly. So we hope you all understand, that we just want everyone to be safe and please be assured that we’ll put together a cracker of a track on our “home trail network” at Ourimbah for you:

Same schedule – same great race – different track. We will head out there today and give you a trackmap this evening.

Thank you,

Juliane & Martin and the Rocky Trail crew.



6 September 2017, 10am

Diamonds in the Dirt race update: We just had another chat to State Forest and they are working on a fire containment line a fair way away from the MTB Park. If that line holds over the next 24 hours the park will be safe and open, but if the fire breaches it we won’t be racing there.

The fire is still far away from the park, but we won’t take any risks whatsoever when it comes to bush fires and have the great option of racing in Ourimbah. We will know more tomorrow morning.


***Event news***
5 September 2017, 1:30 pm


Potential venue change to Ourimbah MTB Park near Wyong

Awaba MTB Park is part of the NSW Forestry Corporation and we were contacted by them this morning as they are currently trying to contain a large bush fire very close to the mountain bike park. It is only Tuesday and the crews are likely to stop the fire by the weekend, however, it is currently heading towards Awaba and we can’t and won’t take any risk.


Here is a copy of the official statement by the NSW Forestry Corporation:

“We have a bushfire in Heaton SF that is currently burning out of control. It is currently located near the Great North Walk (Heaton’s gap area) and burning towards Awaba MTB Park.

Crews are trying to find suitable areas that we can contain the fire, however terrain, winds and conditions are making it difficult at present.

Whilst the weekend is still several days away, weather forecasts/conditions are not in our favour and it is likely that this fire will continue to burn into the weekend with all permitted events in state forests in this area will be impacted.”


So, here’s the plan:

  1. We will stay in contact with State Forests and will make a definite decision on Thursday morning, if we can hold the 2017 event at Awaba MTB Park. – All currently and formerly registered and subscribed riders are receiving an email newsletter today.
  2. We have already made arrangements with the Central Coast Ourimbah MTB Club who would welcome our event on their home track at Ourimbah MTB Park near Wyong. It is about 30min south of the Awaba tracks just off the M1 Wyong exit towards the Yarramalong Valley.
  3. We are heading out on track this afternoon to put together a loop that is very similar to the Awaba trails. Ourimbah MTB Park is also the home track of the Rocky Trail crew and we know all the trails there are like the back of our hands.
  4. We will be in touch again on Thursday morning with the decision – Awaba or Ourimbah.


The Diamonds in the Dirt Women’s Only event will definitely go ahead this year thanks to all our wonderful event partners who once again have proven to be proactive and amazing supporters of our events – thanks to the NSW Forestry Corporation, the Hunter MTB Association and the Central Coast Ourimbah MTB Club in particular.


Thank you.



> Rider Briefing