RedAss Downhill Championships cancelled

last updated: Thursday, 28 March 2019, 6pm

RedAss Downhill event (scheduled Sat, 30 March) is cancelled! Fox Superflow on Sunday going ahead:

Official video announcement – Martin Wisata (Race Director) and Tim Windshuttle (Thredbo MTB) from Thredbo, Thu 28 March 2019 at 1:20pm


Unfortunately we have to cancel the RedAss Downhill Championships due to the bad weather forecasts with rain, high wind speeds and cold temperatures on Friday and the planned race day, Saturday 30 March 2019. The Thredbo chair lift will actually be closed on both days and we had meetings with the Thredbo MTB to make the very difficult decision to cancel the race.

The Sunday forecast looks very promising and the Fox Superflow event will go ahead – if it was unlikely to go ahead based on the information we have today, we would have made the call to cancel or postpone that event also already today. However, as at Thursday midday, the forecasts look good and in cooperation with Thredbo MTB the event will go ahead.

May we recommend to all Fox Superflow riders not to travel to Thredbo just yet and we will be in touch tomorrow as we will continue to monitor the developments overnight and will provide another update on Friday, 29 March 2019 by 12pm midday.

For Sunday, we expect at this stage that the rain stops overnight and the wind dies down in the morning, however, it will still be cold. May we therefore recommend that you bring warm riding and wet weather gear to this event – we are in an Alpine region and as long as you use appropriate gear you will be fine. We continue to monitor the weather closely.

We will contact all weekend competitors by email this afternoon with regards to entry and lift ticket refunds related to the RedAss Downhill Championship event. – We’d like to thank you for your understanding – we just want to make sure everyone is safe and contain the inconvenience of making the long drive, so to make decisions early and keep communicating updates is really important to us.

Update Thursday 6pm

We are currently working on different scenarios and do take the following into consideration:
We want to give you a race that is fun. Currently Sunday looks like a cold day but other than that very promising.
We know that most of you booked hotels in and around Thredbo which are likely to charge cancellation fees. One more reason to give you a race if it is possible and safe to do so.
If the race on Sunday goes ahead but you decide that you only want to come if it’s a 2 day event we want to offer you a form of refund or transfer but we still need to work out what that can be. We will know more once we have a better idea of the weather patterns tomorrow morning.
Monday and Tuesday look like they will be brilliant days – if you can take the day off and come to Thredbo. On Monday there will be the offer of discounted lift tickets for all competitors.

We will have another update for you by noon tomorrow Friday.
We do thank you all for your patience and understanding – Martin and the Rocky Trail crew.


>> RedAss Downhill website | Thredbo Champs

>> Fox Superflow website | Round 1 Thredbo