Finally – the first Fox Superflow, sealed by Stan’s event is kicking off the 2019 Series this Saturday supported by Events ACT and we are expecting event record-breaking crowds at Stromlo Forest Park!
A quick note on the expected weather – we are expecting a crisp and sunny weekend. It will be cold (expected highs 17 deg.C) and very little wind is forecast! Please bring warm gear and with three timed race stages that guarantee exhilarating adrenaline-surges, you’ll be warm… or won’t notice the cold anyway! Baaaaring it!
Please familiarise yourself with this rider briefing for general event information:
Saturday, 1 June
- all day Free practice: tracks are marked, but there are no track marshalls in place. First Aid based in event centre – emergency contact: 0403 090 952/Martin Wisata
- Dynamic Motivation offers shuttle runs – visit their website to book
- 1-2 pm JUNIORS | FREE Pump Track Challenge by The Handlebar Cafe
- 2-5 pm ADULTS/ELITES | FREE Pump Track Challenge by The Handlebar Cafe
- 3 – 4 pm Registration open for Superflow near The Handlebar Cafe (under-cover)
All race tracks will be marked for in-official practice on the Saturday. We expect a majority of the field to be there already, the local coaching crew from Dynamic Motivation is offering shuttle runs and skills clinics, there is a Pump Track competition in the evening, put on by the resident “Handlebar Cafe” – a perfect riding day at Stromlo Forest Park for #rockytrailracers!
Sunday, 2 June #raceday
8 am – 9 am Registration open for Superflow
9 am Rider briefing at event centre
9 am – 10.30 am Practice
10.30 am – 4 pm Race runs – you can choose the order in which you do your race runs. No shuttles allowed on race day.
3 tracks – 1 run on each track – you get up to 5 runs per track and the fastest counts. U13 and U15 need to clock in 1 run per track as well but also get multiple runs.
4 pm Last Race Run
4.30 pm est. Ceremony
On Sunday, race day, our timing system will allow you to pick your preferred racing sequence and spend all day with your besties! No shuttles allowed on race-day, you RIDE to the timed race stage starts in neutral. No start order, no worries, race in any configuration and sequence you want!
Here is what we have in store for you for the 2019-season opener:
- 3 tracks – you can choose the order in which you do your race runs.
- Complete at least 1 run on each track to count towards the result
- You get up to 5 runs per track and the fastest counts.
- U13 and U15 need to clock in 1 run per track as well, but also get multiple runs
- light-blue tracks: these are the neutral access trails to the starts
- green: FOX trail – start Skyline, then Luge goodness, finish at event centre
- dark blue: STANS trail – start Pork Barrel – finish Double Dissolution
- orange: LAZER trail – start at Little Seymore, finish event centre
FOX + STAN’S timed race stages
- You can access both via the main Stromlo Observatory climb
- both starts are at the SAME spot – intersection of Pork Barrell and Skyline start
- FOX Trail: Classic Skyline + Luge, finish at event centre
- STAN’S Trail: Awesomeness of Pork Barrel + Double Dissolution, finish at bottom of Double Dissolution – PLUS: we can confirm that we may use the brand-new “Sunset Boulevarde” trail, which was just completed at the top of Pork Barrel! You’ll be hitting the trails along side the actual building crew!
- Click for a video of the new Sunset Boulevarde by the local Ride Technics crew
LAZER timed race stage
- Start: access via Wattle Happen Climb, then follow firetrails along to start, which is on the firetrail top of Little Seymore, just below the Skyline
- You race down Little Seymore and then cut across Wombat Junction/Willo Roundabout come back via Break-Out, but we are getting you onto some fast firetrails to finish at the event centre.
- Finish: at the event centre.
Rider list, photos and results
The rider list is online now. Results will be LIVE throughout the event! They will also be displayed at the event centre; please never hesitate to ask any of the Rocky Trail team members if you have any questions!
Note: there is a sub-menu to select various results views, once the event is live and post-race; look out for a drop-down menu. You can also “favourite” your name/mates/kids by searching for the name and clicking on the STAR button. You can then switch to the favourites view quickly.
We will have event officials on all three starts and finishes. We aim for 30-second gaps in between riders – please talk to us if you have any concerns, we are flexible and here for you to have an awesome race!
We are starting you out of a start gate (3-2-1-go) with a countdown timer for guidance. Your time will start running when you cross the start line. At the finish you will cross timing mats that pick up your race plate transponders. Results are immediately LIVE on the online portal.
Did you know? All your race photos are included in your race entry! The Outer Image Collective crew will be out on course capturing your #racefaces – you will get an email post-race with download link and instructions.
Share your own experience and let the MTB community about your riding and racing weekend during and after the event! Use the following official hashtags so we can follow your stories too!
A note on race plate positioning
We’d like to avoid timing problems with plates that aren’t attached properly and our aim is always a 100% success rate when it comes to timing our races. Please help us achieve that!
In order to assure that the timing chips on the back of your number plates ‘fire’ when you cross the finish mat, please follow those rules when attaching it to your bike. Please make sure that:
- you attach it only onto the handlebar using the holes already in the plate
- the chip on the back of the plate doesn’t touch any part of your frame or handlebar
- you don’t cut, punch extra holes or alter the number plate
The venue is Stromlo Forest Park and it is off Cotter Road in Canberra (ACT).
You get to Cotter Road via the Tuggeranong Parkway. Once on Cotter road, continue onto John Gorton Drive until you get to Opperman Avenue. Turn left at the traffic lights on Opperman Avenue and continue until you reach Stromlo Forest Park. There is a big round about at the entrance; you will see the car park where the main event centre is located.
More information about Stromlo Forest Park can be found here: www.stromloforestpark.com.au
It is a public MTB track and you can ride it in the lead up to the race.
Accommodation near Stromlo Forest Park:
You can camp at the Stromlo car park and event centre on Saturday night, but please note that the gates shut at around 7 pm. Here are some more links for accommodation and what else is on:
Canberra Park opened 18 months ago and they are offering a special MTB rate to Rocky Trail racers – you get 20% off the regular room rates. The property has been purpose built to accommodate both school and sporting groups visiting Canberra and is located next to EPIC showground, just 6 k’s from Canberra city. There are three types of rooms:
- Coach driver rooms- king single bed, en-suite and tea making facilities.
- Teachers rooms- 2 single beds, en-suite and tea making facilities and
- Student rooms, 2 sets single beds and ensuite
We thought we’d pass the offer on, it might just suit some of you. Give them a call – there also a dining hall offering buffet-style catering.
Catering & Pump Track Challenge
The Handlebar Cafe at Stromlo Forest Park will look after the catering all weekend – these guys have a great selection of food and drinks, amazing coffee and local beers!
The Mr Papa food truck crew will be set up also: Grab yourself some Peruvian street food from lunch time on Saturday (and Sunday maybe).
Saturday Pump Track Challenge: 1-5 pm *FREE*
Join in the Pump Track Challenge fun or grab a hot or cold drink from The Handlebar Bar and watch all the action! To sign up, see The Handlebar crew on the day.
- 1-2 pm Junior Pump Track Challenge (U15)
- 2-5 pm Adult/Elite Pump Track Challenge
Shuttles & Skills Clinics | Saturday
The Dynamic Motivation crew are running the shuttle bus on Saturday, 1 June, and we are told whilst its filling up fast, they do have a few spots left. No shuttles or private uplifts allowed on race day.
Special Enduro Skills clinic on Sat, 1 June:
This Enduro Skills day is designed for those that want to improve their skills and learn the trails for the Fox Superflow event the following day. It is limited to 6 participants and you will receive instruction from Mic Longhurst one of the most experienced instructors in Australia, on his home trails and the ones being used in the race. The group will also have exclusive access to a small shuttle bus for the day to do as many runs as required without having to queue for the main bus. The program will run from 9am til 3:30 pm. Cost is $265 for this highly personalised day of training to book go to the Dynamic Motivation website.
The resident bike shop Cycle City at Stromlo Forest Park will be open for tech support all weekend.
The crew from Tune Cycle will also be on-site and did you know that they have an offer to get your bike race-ready for every event?
Is allowed on Friday and Saturday night for free.
Please note: on Friday night the Stromlo Forest Park gates close at 6pm, so be sure to arrive before that. On Saturday night the RTE crew is on-site and the gate won’t be locked.
There is a big pavillion with amenities, including hot showers.
There are several water taps all around the event centre and also out on track. They will be marked.
provided by Pink First Aid
There is a fenced playground with fun little bike trails for the little kids and several skills areas for the bigger kids. More things for the fambam to do while you race is available in our #rockytraildestination blog about Canberra.
Cruzee Fleet supported by Lazer
Bringing a little shredder to the event? Check out our brand-new Cruzee Kids balance bike fleet, supported by Lazer! You can borrow a bike for free so that your child can test-ride it! Stromlo is ideal, there is a kids pump track, a fun playground and skills playground for all ages!
Your chance to win
Every racer will go into the draw for a set of Bike Box Rollers! We will do a draw at the rider briefing. – If you want to know more, come and have a chat to Mick about his invention on the weekend.
Put all the Fox SF dates in your calendar and here is our 7-step guide to get ready for the series! See #4 to grab information about the Tune Cycle offer we have for you to get your bike race-ready for every event! –