Welcome to the Fox Superflow® 2022 Round 3 of the NSW/ACT Series in East Stromlo, Canberra!
Please watch the video and scroll down for the full written rider briefing – important: 4th race track added!
RACE THE WAY YOU RIDE
MAJOR CHANGE: 4 Race tracks
A massive weekend is building with record number of riders that is closing in on 700 competitors. For the first time in NSW/ACT we have 4 tracks to race in one day, here is why:
Rocky Trail has always been transparent about such decisions. This will be our biggest Fox Superflow® yet and after capping the entries at 300 per day, we have been receiving so many waitlist requests, that we arranged to increase the capacity to 400 per day. This decision has been made with ride and racing experience in mind – including those who are racing towards a series placing as this year all results count.
Additional 4th race track added
The major change: an additional 4th “MTB Direct” race track –We are adding the “MTB Direct Track”, a combination of Little Seymour and Breakout with a neutral ride to the start, which is similar to the Stans and Lazer track liaisons.
The updated race track maps are online now, descriptions are below.
Please note, all four race tracks have to be completed at least once (up to 5 times possible) and the fastest time on each will count towards the results.
This decision has been a mindful one, may we provide some more insight into what led to our decision:
- Generally we limit a race day to 300 (depending on track length and an internal formula per m that we are using, which correlates to our timing window). Based on our experience on running Superflow®-style events since 2012, we know that this generally is a number that spreads well early in the morning and results in limited queues.
- Since the weekend, we have been receiving so many waitlist requests, that we arranged to increase the capacity for the race with ride and racing experience in mind to 400 per day – particularly being mindful of those who are racing towards a series placing as this year all results count.
- We chose a combination of Little Seymour and Breakout (via Willo roundabout) as the fourth track, because
- it presents a neutral ride to the start, which is similar to the Stans and Lazer track liaisons, so not too long.
- we had this trail combination included in the Fox Superflow® events before (ie before Trebuchet, Sunset Boulevarde etc. was even built) and
- in particular this also considers public users of the part on an already busy weekend. The impact by adding this particular track will be minimal for non-racers and simple to communicate. The “back of the park” is still open for use offering a variety of XC and flow trails.
We were able to increase the capacity by adding the fourth track and have also ramped up the operations:
- Revised schedule –
- Race plate collection for SATURDAY race is on Friday from 3-6pm and on Sat from 7:30am.
- Race plate collection for SUNDAY race is on Saturday from 3-6pm and on Sun from 7:30am.
- Extended racing window – we are racing until 4pm on both Sat and Sunday. Traditionally, queues are happening early in the morning. By mid-morning, usually the rider field has spread across all race tracks – we can recommend later starts; from about early afternoon the race pace usually calms down (why not have a relaxed lunch break?).
- Increased crew capacity – more starters to assist with self-seeding, we will encourage “fast” riders and groups of racers who are keen for “party trains” to be pushed ahead in the queue. Junior riders may have a few minutes more to line-up, but this will allow us to give them a bit more space on the race tracks, as we usually do.
- Increased operations support – we are increasing race marshals and medical staff on both days.
- It will be a huge weekend with many of our sponsors and supporters bringing the race village to life – The Handlebar Cafe will be buzzing and our DJ Nigel will be pumping out Rocky Trail Radio tunes powered by earShots on both days LIVE as well!
Buckle up and enjoy the ride – here is the Rider Briefing:
We have you covered across the weekend with an awesome sponsor line-up on-site. Remember:
- All track runs are live timed so check your result as you cross the line.
- PRIZE Ceremony: MTB DIRECT sponsors over $20,000 worth of online vouchers for this year’s series for your next shopping spree on their site for 1-2-3 category podium getters!
- Giveaways from our sponsors
- For those who can stay around for Sunday we will announce and acknowledge the winners, but don’t worry if you can’t, your winning podium voucher will be emailed to you.
We can’t wait to see you smashing it! Remember, your race photos are included in your entry. Be sure to download them after the race and share your stories using:
ABOUT the venue
East Stromlo, Canberra ACT
The most popular location on the Fox Superflow® calendar. Returning back to the East Stromlo trails, yes the front face of Stromlo Forest park. Riders get to enjoy the favourites, but this year we can add the top section of the Trebuchet with a new crossover plus a 4th track and extra time to race. We are extremely thankful to all our riding community and stakeholders to make this a weekend of racing to remember.
The Event Registration and Hub will be located adjacent to the Handlebar Cafe on the bitumen area. Look out for the Rocky Trail Marquees and van.
Parking: Ample parking is available in the designated parking zones.
Camping: Overnight free camping is available Friday and Saturday nights. Please camp in the Northern parking area.
Race tracks used
- FOX Track: Trebuchet, Luge, finish on fire trail at the end of Luge.
- STANS Track: Start at the tunnel, Trebuchet, Old Duffy Descent.
- LAZER Track: Start at the tunnel, Carolyn’s into Triple Treat, then Wallaby Run, singletrail sprint along the Downhill track behind 4X hill, timing point at the Downhill finish.
- NEW 4TH TRACK – MTB DIRECT Track: Starts on Little Seymore and at the Willo roundabout heads down Breakout.
- Un-timed Liaisons: Neutral liaison rides will be marked – riders can choose to dash up on the fire trails or use the single trail climbs.
Important: Rocky Trail Academy on Friday
Please note: Fox Superflow® race tracks are closed Friday between 9am-1:30pm for use in the RT Academy event. Please practice after 1:30pm.
The sun is shining, but pack a jumper – High of 13c.
Plan your trip
Check out the #rockytrailracer Capital Destination Guide with accommodation offers and What’s On (off the ‘rocky trails’) in Canberra!
The Fox Superflow format provides so many options to the rider, and this weekend the opportunity to race FOUR tracks, yes FOUR TRACKS:
- Tackle the 20 timed runs or just do one on each track.
- Extra 30mins of racing so now 7hr available with all the support you need.
- Select Saturday or Sunday.
- Remember NO SHUTTLES vehicle or towing are allowed.
- We have lots of riders so plan your day, don’t rush, have a long brunch and head up the trails after the morning rush.
Don’t forget liaison to the starts are not timed, so grab your mate, friend, mum or dad and enjoy the leisurely ride to the top then be rewarded for your effort.
You don’t need to be a member of any cycling association to race with Rocky Trail. Some offer great insurance packages which are worthwhile checking out and you are in charge of your own health insurance when racing with us.
Schedule – extended racing window!
Important: Race Plate collection
Friday – 3pm to 6pm for Saturday racers
Saturday – 3pm to 6pm for Sunday racers
7.30am – 1.00pm Registration open
9.00am – 4.00pm Saturday Race runs – you can choose the order in which you do your race runs. You get up to 5 runs per track and the fastest one counts.
4.00pm Last Race Run
7.30am – 1.00pm Registration open
9.00am – 4.00pm Sunday Race runs – you can choose the order in which you do your race runs. You get up to 5 runs per track and the fastest counts.
4.00pm Last Race Run
4.15pm Event Wrap Up
You choose either Saturday or Sunday as your race day during the registration process.
- A virtual podium presentation will be posted online after the race.
- A podium presentation will be held for those at the event centre with 1-2-3 podium spots awarded.
- Those who are not present on Sunday, Rocky Trail series podium plates and stickers can be collected at the next race.
Attention: Riders please carry plenty of water!
First Fox Superflow?
Yeow!! Welcome to the Rocky Trail Tribe! It’s a very chilled out vibe, you’ll see and you can make the day YOUR adventure. All our crew are very chatty, so do talk to them at rego and at the starts, they will be more than happy to support and talk you through things. Come to the rego tent first to pick up your plate and then it all falls into place. Here are some blogs that may be helpful, plus we are emailing the rider briefing out today as well:
Race plates with passive timing chips, automatic race timing and LIVE results online all day.
We thank the support of local businesses across the weekend;
- Food & Drink: HandleBar cafe will be open from 7am until late all weekend
- Tech Support: Bike n Spokes team will be here to support you all weekend
- Fox Factory Australia Suspension team travelling down from Sydney – find out all about the latest in suspension technology
- Krush – Matt and Co have all your bike washing taken care of
- Jigsaw Jumps – will have a display. This innovative modular bike jump converts from a roller to a kicker.
- 299 Bikes – cool clothing apparel
- Dirt Surfer will have some cool designs available for all
- Dharco clothing
- Commencal bikes
- Ripclear – eyewear goggles
- Crofto clothing – check out their stand for giveways!
- Toilets: Toilets and showers will be available in the Stromlo pavilion building below the parking area next to the criterium track.
- Camping: Overnight free camping is available Friday and Saturday nights. Please camp in the Northern parking area
- Water: Bring your own water, taps available on site
- BikeWash Onsite wash available with KRUSH products
- MEDICAL: On-site in the event centre and roaming out on track. The Race Director mobile number is available on your race plate for any issues out on track.
- TEAM TENTS – Are welcome – please email email@example.com to secure your spot near the Event Hub – plenty of space available!
Rocky Trail Merchandise:
- Limited stock, new designs dropping in 2022! Get Rocky Trail T-shirts ($35) and hoodies ($65) for that post-race recovery chill!
- Grab your Rocky Trail Jerseys designed by Dharco – cool design
- Socks $15
- Mudguards $20
- NEW Rocky Trail hats made from recycled materials “eco-choice” – $30
- Available from the Rocky Trail rego desk all weekend!
Outer Image Collective photographers will be on site to snap that action photo you have been dreaming about.
Rocky Trail is always looking for crew to support the riders. If you can lend a hand either Saturday or Sunday complete our online form https://rockytrailentertainment.com/home/volunteering/ or contact Jo at firstname.lastname@example.org to be part of the team. Riders luv seeing supporters at our events.
Event updates during the race / weekend:
We always announce any major updates including any new COVID restriction announcements mainly via the FB event page, as well as our news blog and email newsletters. Please feel comfortable to register knowing we will refund or transfer your entry if QLD tips upside down like the other states.
Rider List and Results
All weekend you can find links to Rider List and LIVE Results via the drop-down menu from the event page on our website! Before the race day the page will display the RIDER LIST and from the race start onwards it will switch to LIVE then on Sunday after the race to final results. You can check these now and throughout the weekend via your mobile devices – to reduce touch points we will not have any public display computers on-site.
COVID-specific Event Guidelines
How are we running this event and how do we keep you safe?
Rocky Trail Covid-19 safety guidelines:
- BEFORE THE RACE: If any of the following applies please contact us immediately.
We will transfer or refund your entry but you CAN NOT PARTICIPATE in the event:
- If you are showing any signs of the cold or flu.
- If you have a fever.
- ON RACE DAY: There are a few important changes on how we run things on the day:
- ACCESS: Race tracks are closed to the general public.
- RACE PLATE: You can pick up your race plate with the timing chip from the rego and info point – check the schedule for opening times.
- This way we avoid queues near the registration area.
- RACING & ETIQUETTE: Please adhere to SOCIAL DISTANCING rules!
- If you queue up at a start line please leave a bike length between each other.
- Overall we don’t expect much queuing as the field will spread quickly.
- When you finish your race please give each other as much space as possible.
- RESULTS & CEREMONY:
- Race results are LIVE throughout the day.
- Access race results via the website.
- Giveaways for every racer.
Now, get ready!
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)