Welcome to the Alpenflow EPIC Weekend – four days of racing on the ‘rocky trails’ of the Alpine High Country at and around Mt Buller! We’re kicking it off on the Friday with the High Country Schools MTB Comp, our Rocky Trail Academy event for schools.
The format was the brain child of Bob Morris, one of our Race Directors, who looked to create a format that tested multiple skills of mountain biking, whilst challenging the skilled pinner and yet providing an opportunity for riders of all abilities to have a go. Courses are designed to have a flat pedal for XC riders to excel, a technical gravity track for the gravity pinners to shine and a flow track for the funsters to speed down. Format duplicates our very popular Fox Superflow, 3 tracks, multiply runs, live timing, in a social safe environment.
Watching the growth of schools offering Mountain Bike programs as a school sport just demonstrates the tremendous popularity of Mountain Biking in the community and the benefits to all, Jo Parker Event Manager strives to see #morekidsonbikes and #moregirlsonbikes
VIRTUAL RIDER BRIEFING
RIDER BRIEFING CONTENT IN WRITING
We are so grateful for the outpour of support and enthusiasm by our Rocky Trail riders through 2020. We have been able to deliver successful events through the support of our. Community and with their assistance to ride within the constraints COVID 19 presented. We need to continue to comply to social distancing and other COVID rules to continue to run events.
A lot of thought has gone into this Rider Briefing and we expect all competitors and non-racing visitors to comply with how this event will be run. It is very challenging and a privilege to host this event and participate in this race – we appreciate your cooperation.
- Maintain social distancing at all times in the open air event hub and when purchasing food and drinks. Face masks are not required outdoors but it is always a good idea to carry one if you intend on going into one of the Buller shop outlets.
- We are tracking all event participants – non-racing supporters and ANY visitor at the venue are required to sign in at the registrations tent or use the QR code posters available around the event hub:
ABOUT: EVENT FORMAT
Key things to remember
- We will do a RIDE of all three tracks first together with our race marshalls for all participants to familiarise themselves with the terrain. – Then it’s all YOUR adventure and the timed runs commence!
- Competition will consist of 3 timed sections.
- Tracks have been designed to test a variety of skills, including endurance, speed and technical ability.
- Riders may ride each timed section up to 5 times on each track with their fastest time counting.
- Combined best times will be tallied for the overall result for each rider.
- Riders are representing their school and will be allocated 1 point for each timed section, bonus points awarded for top 5 on each track per category
- Overall Champion school will be awarded plus podium in each category male & female.
For those of you, for whom this will be the first Rocky Trail event, we differ from most other events by offering a much more relaxed format. For the Rocky trail Academy:
- Expect less of a winners-only-focused competition, but a positive and inclusive experience for all racers.
- We allow marshall riders to support students on the track
- Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
- Please note – we are Covid Safe compliant, your briefing will be virtual, we’ll be social distancing, and we’ll make this the safest event you’ve ever been at!
We can wait to see you smashing it! – Remember, your race photos are included in your entry, be sure to download them after the race and share your stories using:
ABOUT the venue
Event centre and parking location: Mount Buller
- The Event Hub is located centrally in the Alpine Village square, 1 Summit Road Mount Buller. When arriving by car look for the big Blue Shimano Arch, turn left and follow the road around into the village carpark.
- The Rocky Trail Registration hub will be positioned on the stage below the clock tower looking into the inner village square.
- Parking is available in the Alpine Village square and surrounding streets/avenues. All event participants are asked to park in the vicinity of the Mt Buller Village and surrounding streets/avenues, there is a large car park behind Village Square Plaza, plenty of spots along Summit Road past the Clocktower and also along The Avenue immediately behind the Kooroora Hotel. You will find that there are plenty of spots close to the event hub in the Village Square – we ask you to follow the signage. Please do not park in either the Lower Tyrol car park or at Spurs (top of the gravity zone) as these areas are reserved for the Blue Dirt MTB shuttle pickup and drop down locations and vehicles only. Thank you for your understanding.
- FOX (black): The technical track takes in the top of Copperhead track. It includes several rocky sections and some loose corners. Fastest rider will be the most technically capable who knows their limit and can get close to it. Course finishes just below the Mt Buller Resort Management Building.
- To get to the start from the event hub use the mall past the supermarket to the ABOM lodge then carefully head up the Summit Road to the access and cross the road to the Summit Walking track.
- STANS (Red): The pedal track starts adjacent to the event hub and travels down the Family track onto Soul Redemption and onto One Tree Hill to finish just before you cross Goal Post Lane. Fastest on this track will be the rider who handles the high altitude best and the switchback climbs.
- Liaison to the start from the event hub is head south to behind the Kahrua hotel and cross the Avenue.
- LAZER (red): The speed track is the full length of the Gang Gangs. Flow and lots of it. Be careful of some rocky sections. Winner will be the rider who can maintain speed through the corners and over the rockier sections.
- To get to the event hub use the Split rock track. Be cautious when traversing the family track as some riders may be racing this section.
Schedule for the day:
- 8am – Event Hub & registration open
- 8.45am – Rider call up – safety briefing.
- 9.00am – 1st run on each track will be supported as a group with the Rocky Trail crew.
- 10am – 1.30pm tracks open for multiply runs
- 1.45/2pm – Presentation
What can you expect:
- A well-marked course
- Caution signs in technical areas
- Gaps between riders
- Large grassy Event Hub
- Professional Medical contractors on site
- Easy registration
- And a supportive community
Services and facilities:
Support the following local business for all your riding needs;
- Village Bike Café
- Buller Grocer – limited hours
- The Coffee Garage – bfast & Lunch
- The Kooroora Hotel – lunch & dinner
- All Terrian Cycles will assist with any bike or gear needs
- Krush bikewash – Village Square
- 299Bikes – Merch and jerseys available
- Water: Please bring your own drinking water, we will not have shared water.
- Toilets: there is a public amenities block on-site and we will service it regularly. Disinfectant and wipes will be provided.
- Medical: will be based in the event centre and roaming out on track.
Outer Image Collective photographers will be on site to snap that action photo you have been dreaming about. School Managers gather your team before racing to capture the perfect shot for the Year Book and help promote Mountain Biking in your school.
Perfect Alpine weather expected – 5 words: Sunny. Crisp. Perfect. Race. Conditions
If due to unforeseen weather circumstances and we need to cancel on the day we will post a message on our website and facebook pages.
Rider List and Results
All weekend you can find links to Rider List and LIVE Results via the drop-down menu from the event page on our website! You can check these now and throughout the weekend via your mobile devices – to reduce touch points we will not have any public display computers on-site.
Come along and join the team to make the Rocky trail Academy a great success for the Region!
Race Director – Bob Morris 0458 299 558
Event Manager – Martin Wisata 0403 090 952
Event Manager & Media Liaison – Jo Parker 0424 955 332
COVID-specific Event Rules
How are we running this event and how do we keep you safe? By limiting the rider field to 300 per day (events up to 500 are allowed at the moment in NSW) you can see right away that we still err on the side of caution. So please understand if some of the rules appear harsh, but we need to ensure that we can keep racing in this new world.
- Social Distancing: Our main request is that you follow the Covid-Safe rules and regulations as laid out by the ACT Government and observe strict Social Distancing Rules throughout your race day. A lot of thought has gone into this Rider Briefing and we expect all competitors and non-racing visitors to comply with how this event will be run. It is very challenging and a privilege to host this event and participate in this race – we appreciate your cooperation.
- Non-racing supporters and ANY visitor at the venue are required to sign in for an Event Access Pass ahead of the race as we are tracking all event participants! – Request your Access Pass AHEAD of the event via these links:
Rocky Trail Covid-19 safety guidelines:
- BEFORE THE RACE: If any of the following applies please contact us immediately.
We will transfer or refund your entry but you CAN NOT PARTICIPATE in the event:
- If you are showing any signs of the cold or flu.
- If you have event the slightest fever (we have facilities on site to test and will send you home immediately if you have fever).
- Please be aware that we will and are ready to shut down and postpone the event if direct Federal or State Health orders change in the event lead up until Friday.
- For details regarding event transfers or to cancel an entry, please refer to our policy.
- ON RACE DAY: There are a few important changes on how we run things on the day:
- We have exclusive use of the trail network. For public trail access, please check the Alpenflow EPIC Schedule page.
- if you are spectating on your non-racing day, please check in online and report to the Rego tent as a supporter/visitor.
- You can practice on non-racing days (tracks are marked Thursday), but we won’t have any services (marshalls, first aid) in place.
- Volunteers are welcome, again come out and bring your bike if you have one.
- RACE PLATE: You can pick up your race plate with the timing chip from 8.00am
- This way we avoid queues near the registration area.
- RACING & ETIQUETTE: You MUST adhere to SOCIAL DISTANCING rules!
- If you queue up at a start line please leave a bike length between each other.
- Overall we don’t expect much queuing as the field will spread quickly.
- When you finish your race please give each other as much space as possible.
- No hand-shaking permitted at event.
- Please understand that we need to be very strict on this . Non-compliance will result in revoking race access or disqualification.
- CHEERING: Keep 4m distance to the race track!
- If you ‘hackle’ or encourage other riders on their race run please do so at least 4m away from the race track.
- Shouting is a known source of virus transmission and we MUST minimise the risk there. Non-compliance will result in revoking race access or disqualification.
- RESULTS & CEREMONY:
- Race results are LIVE throughout the day.
- Access race results via the website.
- Giveaways for every racer: Rocky Trail water bottle.
- IMPORTANT: CHECK YOUR RACE RESULTS with us or as soon as you cross the line! The top three podium getters in each age category will receive their podium medal.
- PERSONAL HYGIENE:
- No ‘snot rockets’ (blowing your nose without a tissue) in the vicinity of other people.
- Hand washing stations and sanitation stations are available at the venue.
- Please regularly clean your hands with an alcoholic-based hand rub or wash hands with soap and water (especially after going to bathroom, before eating, after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing).
- Riders and visitors are encouraged to wear (cycling) gloves when picking up number plates.
- Unless from the same family, we discourage you from car-pooling to the venue.
- PARTICIPANT TRACKING:
- Every person at the event (including non-racers) need to register.
- Racers will be tracked with race plates.
- Non-competitors will need to sign on via the online system.
Enforcement of COVID Safe Plan
If we see blatant breaches of those rules we will ask you to leave the event. You are not only potentially endangering other racers, but also the future of our business.
We recommend but won’t enforce that all event participants use the Covid Safe App to assist health authorities with tracking potentially.
Please understand that the team won’t shake hands, hug, high five or fist bump anyone and will be trying keep some distance to all riders during registration, start and finish. There will be a lot socially distance elbow bumps from us, which is almost as good .
Now, get ready!
Rocky Trail race vibes on the go!
Listen to Rocky Trail Radio powered by earSHOTS to get ready to race!
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)
You must be logged in to post a comment.