This event is part of the Rocky Trail Academy junior development programme and sponsored by Shingleback Off-Road and Sendy Gear.
This is the inaugural event for the Canberra Region and the first for ACT/NSW schools. This popular schools comp, with timed sections and multiple runs, provides a fun racing experience for the next generations of Mountain Bikers. With over 32 schools being represented so far we are confident that the event will continue to grow for many years ahead.
The format was the brain-child of Bob Morris and Jo Parker, our National Event Managers, who looked to create a format that tested multiple skills of mountain biking, whilst challenging the skilled pinner and yet providing an opportunity for riders of all abilities to have a go. Courses are designed to have a flat pedal for XC riders to excel, a technical gravity track for the gravity pinners to shine, and a flow track for the funsters to speed down. The format duplicates our very popular Fox Superflow with 3 tracks, multiple runs, and live timing, in a social safe environment.
Watching the growth of schools offering Mountain Bike programs as a school sport just demonstrates the tremendous popularity of Mountain Biking in the community and the benefits to all. The Canberra Region is our next destination to develop the school concept – Jo Parker strives to see #morekidsonbikes and #moregirlsonbikes
VIRTUAL RIDER BRIEFING
RIDER BRIEFING CONTENT IN WRITING
Key things to remember:
- Maintain social distancing at all times in the open air event hub.
- Three tracks on offer, to ride in any order, because it’s your adventure for the day!
- Competition will consist of 3 timed sections – track names Fox/Stans/Lazer.
- Tracks have been designed to test a variety of skills, including endurance, speed and technical ability.
- Riders may ride each timed section up to 5 times on each track with their fastest time counting.
- Tip of the day, first run is a sighter run, check the track and conditions, pick your line then race to improve.
- Combined best times will be tallied for the overall result for each rider.
- Riders are representing their school and will be allocated 1 point for each timed section completed, bonus points awarded for top 5 on each track per category.
- Overall Champion school will be awarded plus podium in each category, male & female.
For those of you for whom this will be the first Rocky Trail event, we differ from most other events by offering a much more relaxed format. For the Rocky trail Academy:
- Expect less of a winners-only-focused competition, but a positive and inclusive experience for all racers.
- We allow marshall riders to support students on the track, so teachers grab your bike and support the students.
- Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
We can’t wait to see you smashing it! – Remember, your race photos are included in your entry, be sure to download them after the race and share your stories using our hashtags. Spread the word!
Did you know? We’re in town for the whole weekend!
The very popular Fox Superflow® is running both Saturday and Sunday across the same weekend and we may have some last minute spots open if you are keen.
If you wish to race the Fox Superflow® and have yet to enter, see Jo at rego for an exclusive 10% discount code for our Rocky Trail Academy racers!
ABOUT the venue
- Event Registration and Hub will be located opposite the Handlebar cafe and shelter on the bitumen area. Look out for the Rocky Trail marquees. Lots of parking is available in the designated parking areas.
- The on site Handlebar Cafe will be open from 11am providing a selection of food and drinks for all to purchase.
- Toilets and showers will be available in the Stromlo pavilion building below the parking area next to the criterium track.
- Bikes’n’Spokes will be on site providing neutral support to any riders.
- Dynamic Motivation – a big THANKS to our friends at Dynamic Motivation skills clinics and shuttles for helping spread the word about the Rocky Trail Academy!
ABOUT the event
We will have three tracks on offer utilising:
- FOX – The Technical course will use the very popular “Trebuchet” from the bridge to finish on the fire road above Old Duffy. Riders will need to be able to jump and handle small drops whilst maintaining speed and control.
- STANS – The Speed course will be the full length of the “Luge” track. Riders will have to maintain speed over the 26 turns including tight bermed and open fast corners.
- LAZER – The Pedal course will start up the climb “Wattle Happen” and then include the fun descent down the “Old Duffy Descent”. Riders will have to put power through the pedals to get to the fun fast.
Schedule for the day:
- 7.00am – Event Hub
- 7.30am – Registration opens.
- 8.45am – Rider call up – safety briefing.
- 9.00am – all tracks open for racing.
- 1.30pm – last race run.
- 1.45/2pm – Presentation.
What can you expect:
- A well-marked course
- Caution signs in technical areas
- Gaps between riders
- Professional medical contractors on site
- Easy registration
- And a supportive community
Event services and facilities:
- Water: Please bring your own drinking water.
- Toilets: On site in the Stromlo pavilion building.
- Medical will be based in the event centre and roaming out on track.
- Registration will stay open until racing commences. Spread the word – tell your friends!
If you loved this race come to the Saturday or Sunday events. See Jo at rego for a discount code! 10% discount to all Academy riders!
Rocky Trail Merchandise:
- Rocky Trail Jersey are now available. Designed by Dharco, be quick before they sell out. Plus socks, hats, mudguards – all available at the rego desk. Cash or card.
- Get cool Rocky Trail T-shirts ($35) and warm hoodies ($65) for that post-race recovery chill!
- Socks $15
- Available from the Rocky Trail rego desk all weekend!
NEW in stock now!
Outer Image Collective photographers will be on site to snap that action photo you have been dreaming about. School Managers gather your team before racing to capture the perfect shot for the Year Book and help promote Mountain Biking in your school.
Early morning frost with a high of 13c. The sun is shining but bring warm clothes.
Especially for this event, we encourage volunteering and we need your help – parent/teacher volunteers required on the day. Roles are race starter or course marshall. Add your name to the list at registration, or register via https://rockytrailentertainment.com/home/volunteering/ and we will create a roster on the day. Bring a chair, jumper and sunscreen, wear walking shoes and prepare a loud cheering voice to encourage the kids out on track. Come and have a great day in the outdoors!
Last-minute changes are communicated via:
Shout-out to our sponsors
Looking for a bike rack to get you out there? Need a bike trailer for the school? – The Rocky Trail Academy events are now sponsored by Shingleback Offroad!
Shingleback Off-Road is simply put a great fit with the Rocky Trail Academy programme – firstly, because it is an all-Australian company founded by a MTB riding and racing family. They are all about getting out there and having fun – just like we do and it’s what inspired the Rocky Trail Academy events.
The Shingleback racks are designed to be a simple tool to get you where you really want to be quickly – whether you travel with your family or school group – safely and with minimal fuss! Plus they offer bike trailers for schools or riding groups too! Find out more…
Sendy Gear is such a great fit with the programme because this is kid-specific mountain bike gear that is built tough and technical enough to endure all-mountain conditions, for kids who love to send it… just like our Rocky Trail shredders.
Sendy Gear is native to Australia’s Snowy Mountains and they’ve taken taken inspiration from their environment so that the designs are always on-point, pure and practical.
Did you know they also do custom-gear – get in touch with their team for information about school-specific garments. Find out more…
Rider List and Results
All weekend you can find links to Rider List and LIVE Results via the drop-down menu from the event page on our website! You can check these now and throughout the weekend via your mobile devices – to reduce touch points we will not have any public display computers on-site.
Come along and join the team to make the Rocky trail Academy a great success for the Region!
General race regulations
- Race etiquette – Important: you MUST adhere to social distancing rules AND rude behaviour out on track is not acceptable. Please be kind to each other. We are all here to have fun. Chat to our Event Managers if you have any questions.
- We love to help and chat! Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
- Don’t litter – please take your rubbish back with you or throw it in the bins/bags near the registration tent.
- Timing will be done with your timing chip – please ensure it is on your bike/attached to your chest and in the MTB that the plastic doesn’t touch any metal parts of your bike (e.g. don’t wrap the number plate around your handlebar).
- You agreed to our RACE WAIVER when you registered online – here is a link to the RACE WAIVER again
- Click here for DETAILED RACE RULES
COVID-specific Event Guidelines
How are we running this event and how do we keep you safe?
Rocky Trail Covid-19 safety guidelines:
- BEFORE THE RACE: If any of the following applies please contact us immediately.
We will transfer or refund your entry but you CAN NOT PARTICIPATE in the event:
- If you are showing any signs of the cold or flu.
- If you have a fever.
- For details regarding event transfers or to cancel an entry, please refer to our policy.
- ON RACE DAY: There are a few important changes on how we run things on the day:
- ACCESS: Race tracks are closed to the general public.
- RACE PLATE: You can pick up your race plate with the timing chip from the rego and info point – check the schedule for opening times.
- This way we avoid queues near the registration area.
- RACING & ETIQUETTE: Please adhere to SOCIAL DISTANCING rules!
- If you queue up at a start line please leave a bike length between each other.
- Overall we don’t expect much queuing as the field will spread quickly.
- When you finish your race, please give each other as much space as possible.
- RESULTS & CEREMONY:
- Race results are LIVE throughout the day.
- Access race results via the website.
- Giveaways to every racer.
Now, get ready!
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)