This event is part of the Rocky Trail Academy junior development programme, sponsored by Shingleback Off-Road and Sendy Gear. This is a “Special Edition” racing event for juniors, featuring the “GD Champs” in the format of our popular Rocky Trail Schools Competitions.
VIRTUAL RIDER BRIEFING
We are looking forward to bringing our Rocky Trail Academy for the first time to the Southern Highlands in Welby! This event will launch the Rocky Trail Academy Junior Development Programme in NSW as the “GD Champs.” It will be held as a continuation of the original inter-schools event held at Welby commemorating the late George Dummer, a talented junior mountain biker. The event was originally held by the local Southern Highlands Oxley College and Chevalier College and we are honoured that our team may play a small part in celebrating George’s memory.
RIDER BRIEFING CONTENT IN WRITING
Key things to remember:
- EVENT FORMAT: 3 timed race tracks from 9am – 1:30pm offering a balanced skillset challenge and a rewarding experience for all – from “park rats” to inexperienced riders and already racing kids. Competition will consist of 3 timed stages and neutral liaison rides: Endurance, Speed and Technical Skills. Parent and teacher marshalling and volunteering welcome!
- *Important: riders may sign up individually, you don’t have to be part of a school team. You can nominate a school when you register, however, to collect points for a “Champion School Ranking.” Younger riders may be considered, please contact us before signing up.
- Prizes will be awarded for the top 3 riders in each category, and Champions school.
Event services and facilities:
- FOOD – Anthony from Daily Espresso will be serving yummy food and drinks plus coffee from 8am. Please support those who support our events. Cash or card welcome.
- BIKE SUPPORT – Pete from the local store https://www.crankypetes.com.au/ will be on site for last minute items.
- WATER – No water on site – please bring your own water supply.
- TOILETS – Unisex port-a-loos will available on site.
- MEDICAL – Will be based in the event centre and roaming out on track.
- SCHOOL & TEAM MARQUEES – are welcome to be set up, we have plenty of room on site.
We are expecting a chilly start to a gorgeous sunny day. Low of 6 high of 15c. Perfect chance to grab a Rocky Trail Hoodie to stay warm.
We encourage volunteering and we need your help – parent/teacher volunteers required on the day. Roles are race starter or course marshall. Add your name to the list at registration, or register via https://rockytrailentertainment.com/home/volunteering/ and we will create a roster on the day. Bring a chair, jumper and sunscreen, wear walking shoes and prepare a loud cheering voice to encourage the kids out on track. Come and have a great day in the outdoors!
Welby MTB Park, Merannie Street Welby NSW
This is the home track for Highland Trails MTB club. The trails are mostly single track with a little bit of fire trails included. The trails are located on the edge of the township of Welby, just to the south of Mittagong and close enough to the Mittagong train station for a warm up ride to the trailhead.
Parking: On street parking will be available along Merannie Street and in the adjacent sporting fields. A short walk ride into the Event Hub area, follow the signs.
- FOX: Starting near the event hub flow down “Burnt Out” onto a fire road traverse before things heat up in “The Oven”. Finishing just before the technical climb. Length 1.37km Descent 28m.
- STANS: Starting at the event hub XC flow on “Wiley Coyote” onto the swithbacks of “Stick Shifter” to finish near the creek with the timber climb. Length 1.5km Descent 19m
- GD’S TRACK: Starting at the new pump track and flowing along “Lightning Ridge” to finish with a blast on “Fire Cracker”. George would have loved this track with it’s pumps and doubles and you will too. Length 1.8km Descent 14m
Schedule for the day:
- 7.30am – Registration opens
- 8.45am – Rider call up – safety briefing
- 9.00am – All tracks open for racing
- 1.30pm – Last race run
- 1.45pm – Presentation
- 2.00pm – Event closed
- Open to all Secondary school students.
- Entry cost – $50 per rider, individual registration online.
- Entry fee includes all rider photos (via link to download post-event).
Riders will be grouped by gender and categories:
- Juniors – Years 7 or 8
- Intermediate – Years 9 or 10
- Seniors – Years 11 or 12
What can you expect:
- A well-marked course
- Caution signs in technical areas
- Gaps between riders
- Professional medical contractors on site
- Easy registration
- And a supportive community
- Maintain social distancing at all times in the open air event hub.
- This round THREE tracks on offer, to ride in any order, because it’s your adventure for the day!
- Competition will consist of 3 timed sections – track names are Fox/Stan/Lazer.
- Tracks have been designed to test a variety of skills, including endurance, speed and technical ability.
- Riders may ride each timed section up to 5 times on each track with their fastest time counting.
- Tip of the day, first run is a sighter run, check the track and conditions, pick your line then race to improve.
- Combined best times will be tallied for the overall result for each rider.
- Riders are representing their school and will be allocated 1 point for each timed section completed, bonus points awarded for top 5 on each track per category.
- Overall Champion school will be awarded plus podium in each category, male & female.
For those of you for whom this will be the first Rocky Trail event, we differ from most other events by offering a much more relaxed format. For the Rocky trail Academy:
- Expect less of a winners-only-focused competition, but a positive and inclusive experience for all racers.
- We allow marshall riders to support students on the track, so teachers grab your bike and support the students.
- Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
We can’t wait to see you smashing it! – Remember, your race photos are included in your entry, be sure to download them after the race and share your stories using our hashtags. Spread the word!
Rider List and Results
All weekend you can find links to Rider List and LIVE Results via the drop-down menu from the event page on our website! You can check these now and throughout the weekend via your mobile devices – to reduce touch points we will not have any public display computers on-site.
Come along and join the team to make the Rocky trail Academy a great success for the Region!
Race Director – Bob Morris 0458 299 558
Event Manager & Media Liaison – Jo Parker 0424 955 332
About the Rocky Trail Academy Schools events
This popular schools comp with timed sections and multiple runs provides a fun racing experience for the next generations of mountain bikers. The Queensland season of Academies has been huge with over 200+ riders at each round and we are hoping to create this experience for NSW students and schools in 2023. Chat to Jo at rego if you are interested to have your school involved in the planning.
The format was the brain-child of Bob Morris and Jo Parker, our National Event Managers, who looked to create a format that tested multiple skills of mountain biking, whilst challenging the skilled pinner and yet providing an opportunity for riders of all abilities to have a go. Courses are designed to have a flat pedal for XC riders to excel, a technical gravity track for the gravity pinners to shine, and a flow track for the funsters to speed down. The format duplicates our very popular Fox Superflow with 3 tracks, multiple runs, and live timing, in a social safe environment.
Watching the growth of schools offering Mountain Bike programs as a school sport just demonstrates the tremendous popularity of Mountain Biking in the community and the benefits to all. Jo Parker, strives to see #morekidsonbikes and #moregirlsonbikes.
We have already started planning 2023 and guarantee more school events for more students and schools. Subscribe now to our newsletter to stay up to date with all of our announcements.
Rocky Trail Merchandise:
- Rocky Trail Jerseys designed by Dharco ($75-$85)
- New in: Rocky Trail X Sendy Hoodies $65 and T-shirts $35
- Socks $15
- Mudguards $20
- Rocky Trail hats made from recycled materials “eco-choice” – $30
- Available from the Rocky Trail rego desk all weekend!
Hoodies and T-shirts
Outer Image Collective photographers will be on site to snap that action photo you have been dreaming about. School Managers gather your team before racing to capture the perfect shot for the Year Book and help promote Mountain Biking in your school.
Last-minute changes are communicated via:
Shout-out to our main sponsors
Looking for a bike rack to get you out there? Need a bike trailer for the school? – The Rocky Trail Academy events are now sponsored by Shingleback Offroad!
Shingleback Off-Road is simply put a great fit with the Rocky Trail Academy programme – firstly, because it is an all-Australian company founded by a MTB riding and racing family. They are all about getting out there and having fun – just like we do and it’s what inspired the Rocky Trail Academy events.
The Shingleback racks are designed to be a simple tool to get you where you really want to be quickly – whether you travel with your family or school group – safely and with minimal fuss! Plus they offer bike trailers for schools or riding groups too! Find out more…
Sendy Gear is such a great fit with the programme because this is kid-specific mountain bike gear that is built tough and technical enough to endure all-mountain conditions, for kids who love to send it… just like our Rocky Trail shredders.
Sendy Gear is native to Australia’s Snowy Mountains and they’ve taken taken inspiration from their environment so that the designs are always on-point, pure and practical.
Did you know they also do custom-gear – get in touch with their team for information about school-specific garments. Find out more…
General race regulations
- Race etiquette – Important: you MUST adhere to social distancing rules AND rude behaviour out on track is not acceptable. Please be kind to each other. We are all here to have fun. Chat to our Event Managers if you have any questions.
- We love to help and chat! Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
- Don’t litter – please take your rubbish back with you or throw it in the bins/bags near the registration tent.
- Timing will be done with your timing chip – please ensure it is on your bike/attached to your chest and in the MTB that the plastic doesn’t touch any metal parts of your bike (e.g. don’t wrap the number plate around your handlebar).
- You agreed to our RACE WAIVER when you registered online – here is a link to the RACE WAIVER again
- Click here for DETAILED RACE RULES
COVID Event Guidelines
Rocky Trail Entertainment has all required Covid Safety plans and requirements in place.
We ask that if If you are showing any signs of the cold or flu or have a fever, that you please NOT come to the race. Please contact us immediately and we will transfer or refund your entry.
Now, get ready!
Rocky Trail race vibes on the go!
Listen to Rocky Trail Radio powered by earSHOTS to get ready to race!
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)
You must be logged in to post a comment.