This event is part of the Rocky Trail Academy junior development programme, sponsored by Shingleback Off-Road and Sendy Gear.
VIRTUAL RIDER BRIEFING
We are looking forward to bringing our Rocky Trail Academy for the first time to the Gippsland region and the fantastic new trail network at Haunted Hills Mountain Bike Park! Rocky Trail Entertainment appreciates the work of the Gippsland Mountain Bike Club, Latrobe City Council and Destination Gippsland in assisting to bring this event to the region. We are proud of the relationships we have developed and look forward to making this a regular venue for our Rocky Trail Academy.
RIDER BRIEFING CONTENT IN WRITING
Key things to remember:
- EVENT FORMAT: 3 timed race tracks from 9am – 1:30pm offering a balanced skillset challenge and a rewarding experience for all – from “park rats” to inexperienced riders and already racing kids. Competition will consist of 3 timed stages and neutral liaison rides: Endurance, Speed and Technical Skills. Parent and teacher marshalling and volunteering welcome!
- *Important: riders may sign up individually, you don’t have to be part of a school team. You can nominate a school when you register, however, to collect points for a “Champion School Ranking.” Younger riders may be considered, please contact us before signing up.
- Prizes will be awarded for the top 3 riders in each category, and Champions school.
Event services and facilities:
- FOOD – Wheelie Good Pizzas will be operating from 8am offering breakfast and lunch as well as cold drinks and coffee throughout the day. Bring cash or card. Support the businesses who support our events => Download the menu here
- COFFEE – Ready and waiting for you when you arrive.
- WATER – Bubblers are available on site.
- TOILETS – 2 permanent Unisex toilets will be available on site.
- MEDICAL – Will be based in the event centre and roaming out on track.
- SCHOOL & TEAM MARQUEES – are welcome to be set up, we have plenty of room on site. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or text 0424955332 to confirm your spot.
- Event parking will be located offsite with a shuttle service operating in the morning and at the end of competition. A designated drop zone will operate from the Event Hub. We recommend car pooling if possible. Schools with buses will be asked to unload and park at the Bryants Park Hill climb centre.
- We have two offsite parking areas –
- PRIMARY SITE – Bryants Park Hill Climb venue located along Bill Schultz drive. A shuttle bus will be operating to and from this site only.
- A limited 4wd parking area is available at the top of the hill above the cemetery entrance. Please note this area is wet and care must be taken. Walking access to the event hub is available follow the yellow signs.
We are expecting some showers so consider wet weather gear. Temperatures will max at 14 degrees so staying dry and warm will be a must. A dry set of clothes to change into might also be a good idea.
We encourage volunteering and we need your help – parent/teacher volunteers required on the day. Roles are race starter or course marshall. Add your name to the list at registration, or register via https://rockytrailentertainment.com/home/volunteering/ and we will create a roster on the day. Bring a chair, jumper and sunscreen, wear walking shoes and prepare a loud cheering voice to encourage the kids out on track. Come and have a great day in the outdoors!
Haunted hills MTB Park, 354 Haunted Hills Rd, Hernes Oak VIC 3825
That’s an ominous name, you are thinking. You are right. The area is steeped in spooky stories of strange noises, ghost sightings, inexplicable accidents, murder and spooked cows. A newly built Mountain Bike Park for the Gippsland region combining machine built tracks with sweeping berms. The park includes 13km of progressive trails, catering for beginners through to level gnarly.
Course map is subject to change depending on weather conditions on the day. All registered riders are required to attend the compulsory safety briefing on site at 8.45am.
The pedal – Riders head up the Conveyor and then drop down the Ghost. 750m long and only 20m of climbing and descending.
STANS – Update Thu, 27/10/22 at 8pm
The enduro – Hit the full length of Swayze 1.2km long and 55m vertical.
The flow – Sharing the start with the STANS track riders will race the full length of the Turbine. 950m long and 50m vert”
Schedule for the day:
- 7.30am – Registration opens
- 8.45am – Rider call up – safety briefing
- 9.00am – All tracks open for racing
- 1.30pm – Last race run
- 1.45pm – Presentation
- 2.00pm – Event closed
Saturday – Halloween at Haunted Hills! There is something for everyone including spooky night rides, pump track racing, and the Shimano MTB GP cross country 4 hour race. Find out more!
- Open to all Secondary school students.
- Entry cost – $50 per rider, individual registration online.
- Entry fee includes all rider photos (via link to download post-event).
Riders will be grouped by gender and categories:
- Groms – Years 5 or 6
- Juniors – Years 7 or 8
- Intermediate – Years 9 or 10
- Seniors – Years 11 or 12
What can you expect:
- A well-marked course
- Caution signs in technical areas
- Gaps between riders
- Professional medical contractors on site
- Easy registration
- This round has THREE tracks on offer, to ride in any order, because it’s your adventure for the day!
- Competition will consist of 3 timed sections – track names are Fox/Stan/Lazer.
- Tracks have been designed to test a variety of skills, including endurance, speed and technical ability.
- Riders may ride each timed section up to 5 times on each track with their fastest time counting.
- Tip of the day, first run is a sighter run, check the track and conditions, pick your line then race to improve.
- Combined best times will be tallied for the overall result for each rider.
- Riders are representing their school and will be allocated 1 point for each timed section completed, bonus points awarded for top 5 on each track per category.
- Overall Champion school will be awarded plus podium in each category, male & female.
For those of you for whom this will be the first Rocky Trail event, we differ from most other events by offering a much more relaxed format. For the Rocky trail Academy:
- Expect less of a winners-only-focused competition, but a positive and inclusive experience for all racers.
- We allow marshall riders to support students on the track, so teachers grab your bike and support the students.
- Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
We can’t wait to see you smashing it! – Remember, your race photos are included in your entry, be sure to download them after the race and share your stories using our hashtags. Spread the word!
Rider List and Results
All weekend you can find links to Rider List and LIVE Results via the drop-down menu from the event page on our website! You can check these now and throughout the weekend via your mobile devices – to reduce touch points we will not have any public display computers on-site.
Come along and join the team to make the Rocky trail Academy a great success for the Region!
What else is on?
About the Rocky Trail Academy Schools events
This popular schools comp with timed sections and multiple runs provides a fun racing experience for the next generations of mountain bikers. The Queensland season of Academies has been huge with over 200+ riders at each round and we are hoping to create this experience for NSW students and schools in 2023. Chat to Jo at rego if you are interested to have your school involved in the planning.
The format was the brain-child of Bob Morris and Jo Parker, our National Event Managers, who looked to create a format that tested multiple skills of mountain biking, whilst challenging the skilled pinner and yet providing an opportunity for riders of all abilities to have a go. Courses are designed to have a flat pedal for XC riders to excel, a technical gravity track for the gravity pinners to shine, and a flow track for the funsters to speed down. The format duplicates our very popular Fox Superflow with 3 tracks, multiple runs, and live timing, in a social safe environment.
Watching the growth of schools offering Mountain Bike programs as a school sport just demonstrates the tremendous popularity of Mountain Biking in the community and the benefits to all. Jo Parker, strives to see #morekidsonbikes and #moregirlsonbikes.
We have already started planning 2023 and guarantee more school events for more students and schools. Subscribe now to our newsletter to stay up to date with all of our announcements.
Rocky Trail Merchandise:
- Rocky Trail Jerseys designed by Dharco ($75-$85)
- New in: Rocky Trail X Sendy Hoodies $65 and T-shirts $35
- Socks $15
- Mudguards $20
- Rocky Trail hats made from recycled materials “eco-choice” – $30
- Available from the Rocky Trail rego desk all weekend!
Hoodies and T-shirts
Outer Image Collective photographers will be on site to snap that action photo you have been dreaming about. School Managers gather your team before racing to capture the perfect shot for the Year Book and help promote Mountain Biking in your school.
Last-minute changes are communicated via:
Shout-out to our main sponsors
Looking for a bike rack to get you out there? Need a bike trailer for the school? – The Rocky Trail Academy events are now sponsored by Shingleback Offroad!
Shingleback Off-Road is simply put a great fit with the Rocky Trail Academy programme – firstly, because it is an all-Australian company founded by a MTB riding and racing family. They are all about getting out there and having fun – just like we do and it’s what inspired the Rocky Trail Academy events.
The Shingleback racks are designed to be a simple tool to get you where you really want to be quickly – whether you travel with your family or school group – safely and with minimal fuss! Plus they offer bike trailers for schools or riding groups too! Find out more…
Sendy Gear is such a great fit with the programme because this is kid-specific mountain bike gear that is built tough and technical enough to endure all-mountain conditions, for kids who love to send it… just like our Rocky Trail shredders.
Sendy Gear is native to Australia’s Snowy Mountains and they’ve taken taken inspiration from their environment so that the designs are always on-point, pure and practical.
Did you know they also do custom-gear – get in touch with their team for information about school-specific garments. Find out more…
General race regulations
- Race etiquette – Important: you MUST adhere to social distancing rules AND rude behaviour out on track is not acceptable. Please be kind to each other. We are all here to have fun. Chat to our Event Managers if you have any questions.
- We love to help and chat! Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
- Don’t litter – please take your rubbish back with you or throw it in the bins/bags near the registration tent.
- Timing will be done with your timing chip – please ensure it is on your bike/attached to your chest and in the MTB that the plastic doesn’t touch any metal parts of your bike (e.g. don’t wrap the number plate around your handlebar).
- You agreed to our RACE WAIVER when you registered online – here is a link to the RACE WAIVER again
- Click here for DETAILED RACE RULES
COVID Event Guidelines
Rocky Trail Entertainment has all required Covid Safety plans and requirements in place.
We ask that if If you are showing any signs of the cold or flu or have a fever, that you please NOT come to the race. Please contact us immediately and we will transfer or refund your entry.
Now, get ready!
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)