Your ‘MAD’ school day out on rocky trails!
In partnership with Mackay Christian College we are proud to launch the Rocky Trail Academy – CQ Schools Mountain Bike Comp to the region. With a new format and lots of new racers we cant wait to see you all on Friday.
The format was the brain child of Bob Morris, one of our Race Directors, who looked to create a format that tested multiple skills of mountain biking, whilst challenging the skilled pinner and yet providing an opportunity for riders of all abilities to have a go. Courses are designed to have a flat pedal for XC riders to excel, a technical gravity track for the gravity pinners to shine and a flow track for the funsters to speed down. Format duplicates our very popular Fox Superflow, 3 tracks, multiple runs, live timing, in a social safe environment.
Watching the growth of schools offering Mountain Bike programs as a school sport just demonstrates the tremendous popularity of Mountain Biking in the community and the benefits to all, Jo Parker Event Manager strives to see #morekidsonbikes and #moregirlsonbikes
VIRTUAL RIDER BRIEFING
RIDER BRIEFING CONTENT IN WRITING
Key things to remember:
- Maintain social distancing at all times in the open air event hub and when purchasing food and drinks. Face masks are not required outdoors but it is always a good idea to carry one if you intend on going into one of the Buller shop outlets.
- We are tracking all event participants – ANY competitor or visitor at the venue is required to Check-In by using the QR code posters available around the event hub:
- Three tracks on offer, to ride in any order, because it’s your adventure for the day!
- Competition will consist of 3 timed sections – track names Fox/Stan/Lazer
- Tracks have been designed to test a variety of skills, including endurance, speed and technical ability.
- Riders may ride each timed section up to 5 times on each track with their fastest time counting.
- Tip of the day, first run is a sighter run, check the track and conditions, pick your line then race to improve.
- Combined best times will be tallied for the overall result for each rider.
- Riders are representing their school and will be allocated 1 point for each timed section, bonus points awarded for top 5 on each track per category
- Overall Champion school will be awarded plus podium in each category male & female.
For those of you, for whom this will be the first Rocky Trail event, we differ from most other events by offering a much more relaxed format. For the Rocky trail Academy:
- Expect less of a winners-only-focused competition, but a positive and inclusive experience for all racers.
- We allow marshall riders to support students on the track, teachers grab your bike and support the students.
- Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
- Please note – we are Covid Safe compliant, your briefing will be virtual, we’ll be social distancing, and we’ll make this the safest event you’ve ever been at!
We can wait to see you smashing it! – Remember, your race photos are included in your entry, be sure to download them after the race and share your stories using:
ABOUT the venue
Event centre and parking location: Rowallan Park Mountain Bike Trails, Mackay
- The Event Hub is located centrally from the park entry, keep driving past the carpark across the creek and follow the flags and signs to the designated parking area.
- The Rocky Trail Registration hub will be positioned on the grassy area below the large pine trees. Look out for the Redbull and Rocky Trail Marquee.
- FOX – “101 loop” The “101 Loop” has seen Mackay locals develop skills for many years and is a fun green loop of approximately 1.2km long. It has progressive technical challenges and fun fast turns. Winner will be the racer who can keep power on their pedals the best.
- STANS – “Dragon Back B Line” “Pips Play Ground” “” The Technical, Drops, Rocks, Jumps, Berms and flat corners will test riders all-round skills whilst providing a fun and fast descent. Riders will finish at the event hub.
- LAZER – “Dragon Back”, “Bee Line”, “Blue Metal”. The Speed Track winner will be the rider who can maintain speed around corners and over technical features. Track is approximately 1km long and drops 50m of vertical.
Schedule for the day:
- 8am – Event Hub & registration open
- 8.45am – Rider call up – safety briefing.
- 9.00am – 1st run on each track will be supported as a group with the Rocky Trail crew.
- 10am – 1.30pm tracks open for multiply runs
- 1.45/2pm – Presentation
What can you expect:
- A well-marked course
- Caution signs in technical areas
- Gaps between riders
- Large grassy Event Hub
- Professional Medical contractors on site
- Easy registration
- And a supportive community
Services and facilities:
Support the following local business for all your riding needs;
- Mackay Christian College will be operating a BBQ and selling cold drinks. Come and support and bring your cash.
- Sonya from Mad Cow coffee will be providing the liquid gold for all the coffee lovers. Parents come and support the kids and enjoy the great outdoors.
- Water: Please bring your own drinking water. There are ample taps around the park for refills.
- Toilets: there is a public amenities block on-site and we will service it regularly. Disinfectant and wipes will be provided.
- Medical: will be based in the event centre and roaming out on track.
- Registration will stay open throughout the day. Spread the word tell you friends.
- If you loved this race come on the weekend to the Fox Superflow event. See Jo at rego for a discount code.
Outer Image Collective photographers will be on site to snap that action photo you have been dreaming about. School Managers gather your team before racing to capture the perfect shot for the Year Book and help promote Mountain Biking in your school.
We are predicting sunny skies with a few late afternoon showers which will be perfect to clean the dust or mud from the bikes after having a fab day on the trails.
Especially for this event, we encourage volunteering and we need your help – parent/Teacher volunteers required on the day. Roles are race starter or course marshall. Add your name to the list at registration, and we will create a roster. Bring a chair and insect repellent, wear walking shoes and prepare a loud cheering voice to encourage the kids out on track. Come and have a great day in the outdoors!
Last-minute changes are communicated via:
Rider List and Results
All weekend you can find links to Rider List and LIVE Results via the drop-down menu from the event page on our website! You can check these now and throughout the weekend via your mobile devices – to reduce touch points we will not have any public display computers on-site.
Come along and join the team to make the Rocky trail Academy a great success for the Region!
General race regulations
- Race etiquette – Important: you MUST adhere to social distancing rules AND rude behaviour out on track is not acceptable. Please be kind to each other. We are all here to have fun. Chat to our Event Managers if you have any questions.
- We love to help and chat! Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
- Don’t litter – please take your rubbish back with you or throw it in the landfill or recycling bins we have near the registration tent.
- Toilets will be cleaned and disinfect during the day. Please let us know if they need a clean.
- Timing will be done with your timing chip – please ensure it is on your bike/attached to your chest and in the MTB that the plastic doesn’t touch any metal parts of your bike (e.g. don’t wrap the number plate around your handlebar).
- You agreed to our RACE WAIVER when you registered online – here is a link to the RACE WAIVER again
- Click here for DETAILED RACE RULES
COVID-specific Event Rules
How are we running this event and how do we keep you safe? By limiting the rider field to 300 per day (events up to 500 are allowed at the moment in NSW) you can see right away that we still err on the side of caution. So please understand if some of the rules appear harsh, but we need to ensure that we can keep racing in this new world.
- Social Distancing: Our main request is that you follow the Covid-Safe rules and regulations as laid out by the ACT Government and observe strict Social Distancing Rules throughout your race day. A lot of thought has gone into this Rider Briefing and we expect all competitors and non-racing visitors to comply with how this event will be run. It is very challenging and a privilege to host this event and participate in this race – we appreciate your cooperation.
- Racers AND Non-racing supporters and ANY visitor at the venue are required to sign in via the relevant smartphone app. (scroll up for info)
Rocky Trail Covid-19 safety guidelines:
- BEFORE THE RACE: If any of the following applies please contact us immediately.
We will transfer or refund your entry but you CAN NOT PARTICIPATE in the event:
- If you are showing any signs of the cold or flu.
- If you have event the slightest fever (we have facilities on site to test and will send you home immediately if you have fever).
- Please be aware that we will and are ready to shut down and postpone the event if direct Federal or State Health orders change in the event lead up until Friday.
- For details regarding event transfers or to cancel an entry, please refer to our policy.
- ON RACE DAY: There are a few important changes on how we run things on the day:
- We are utilising majority of the trail network, if you are not racing please chat to Jo at the rego tent to understand where you can ride.
- if you are spectating on your non-racing day, please check in online and report to the Rego tent as a supporter/visitor.
- You can practice on non-racing days, but we won’t have any services (marshalls, first aid) in place.
- Volunteers are welcome, again come out and bring your bike if you have one.
- RACE PLATE: You can pick up your race plate with the timing chip from the rego and info point – check the schedule for opening times.
- This way we avoid queues near the registration area.
- RACING & ETIQUETTE: You MUST adhere to SOCIAL DISTANCING rules!
- If you queue up at a start line please leave a bike length between each other.
- Overall we don’t expect much queuing as the field will spread quickly.
- When you finish your race please give each other as much space as possible.
- No hand-shaking permitted at event.
- Please understand that we need to be very strict on this . Non-compliance will result in revoking race access or disqualification.
- CHEERING: Keep 4m distance to the race track!
- If you ‘hackle’ or encourage other riders on their race run please do so at least 4m away from the race track.
- Shouting is a known source of virus transmission and we MUST minimise the risk there. Non-compliance will result in revoking race access or disqualification.
- RESULTS & CEREMONY:
- Race results are LIVE throughout the day.
- Access race results via the website.
- approx. 4:00pm Last Rider and Sweeper across the line and event finishes.
- Presentation ceremony will kick off when majority of riders are back, approx. 1.40pm and 3.30pm
- Giveaways to every racer: pick a Red Bull or Rocky Trail sticker sheet at rego.
- IMPORTANT: CHECK YOUR RACE RESULTS with us or as soon as you cross the line! The top three podium getters in each age category will receive a podium prize.
- PERSONAL HYGIENE:
- No ‘snot rockets’ (blowing your nose without a tissue) in the vicinity of other people.
- Hand washing stations and sanitation stations are available at the venue.
- Please regularly clean your hands with an alcoholic-based hand rub or wash hands with soap and water (especially after going to bathroom, before eating, after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing).
- Riders and visitors are encouraged to wear (cycling) gloves when picking up number plates.
- Unless from the same family, we discourage you from car-pooling to the venue.
- PARTICIPANT TRACKING:
- Every person at the event (including non-racers) need to Check-In via the Covid App.
Enforcement of COVID Safe Plan
If we see blatant breaches of those rules we will ask you to leave the event. You are not only potentially endangering other racers, but also the future of our business.
We recommend but won’t enforce that all event participants use the Covid Safe App to assist health authorities with tracking potentially.
Please understand that the team won’t shake hands, hug, high five or fist bump anyone and will be trying keep some distance to all riders during registration, start and finish. There will be a lot socially distance elbow bumps from us, which is almost as good .
Now, get ready!
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)