This event is part of the Rocky Trail Academy junior development programme and sponsored by Shingleback Off-Road and Sendy Gear.
This will be the ‘High Country Edition’ of the popular schools comp with timed flow trail sections. It’s fun and all about building confidence.
The format was the brain-child of Bob Morris and Jo Parker, our National Event Managers, who looked to create a format that tested multiple skills of mountain biking, whilst challenging the skilled pinner and yet providing an opportunity for riders of all abilities to have a go. Courses are designed to have a flat pedal track for XC riders to excel, a technical gravity track for the gravity pinners to shine, and a flow track for the funsters to speed down. The format duplicates our very popular Fox Superflow with 3 tracks, multiple runs, and live timing, in a social safe environment. Watching the growth of schools offering Mountain Bike programs as a school sport just demonstrates the tremendous popularity of Mountain Biking in the community and the benefits to all. In 2022 we have over 22 schools represented in the High Country Academy – Jo Parker, strives to see #morekidsonbikes and #moregirlsonbikes.
VIRTUAL RIDER BRIEFING
RIDER BRIEFING CONTENT IN WRITING
Key things to remember:
- Maintain social distancing at all times in the open air event hub and when purchasing food and drinks.
- We are tracking all event participants – ANY competitor or visitor at the venue is required to Check-In by using the QR code posters available around the event hub:
- Three tracks on offer, to ride in any order, because it’s your adventure for the day!
- Competition will consist of 3 timed sections – track names Fox/Stan/Lazer.
- Tracks have been designed to test a variety of skills, including endurance, speed and technical ability.
- Riders may ride each timed section up to 5 times on each track with their fastest time counting.
- Tip of the day, first run is a sighter run, check the track and conditions, pick your line then race to improve.
- Combined best times will be tallied for the overall result for each rider.
- Riders are representing their school and will be allocated 1 point for each timed section completed, bonus points awarded for top 5 on each track per category.
- Overall Champion school will be awarded plus podium in each category, male & female.
For those of you for whom this will be the first Rocky Trail event, we differ from most other events by offering a much more relaxed format. For the Rocky trail Academy:
- Expect less of a winners-only-focused competition, but a positive and inclusive experience for all racers.
- We allow marshall riders to support students on the track, so teachers grab your bike and support the students.
- Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
We can’t wait to see you smashing it! – Remember, your race photos are included in your entry, be sure to download them after the race and share your stories using our hashtags. Spread the word!
Did you know? We’re in town for the whole weekend!
Check out or register for the VIC Fox Superflow® rounds 1 and 2. Utilising 5 gravity tracks on Mt Buller it is going to be an epic weekend of riding.
If you wish to race the Fox Superflow® and have yet to enter, see Jo at rego for an exclusive 10% discount code for our Rocky Trail Academy racers!
ABOUT the venue
- Event Registration and Hub will be located at the Village square clock tower.
- All event participants are asked to park in the vicinity of the Mt Buller Village and surrounding streets/avenues. There is a large car park behind Village Square Plaza, plenty of spots along Summit Road past the Clocktower and also along The Avenue immediately behind the Kooroora Hotel. Please stay away from the construction areas and fencing.
- You will find that there are plenty of spots close to the event hub in the Village Square – we ask you to follow the signage.
- Please do not park in either the Lower Tyrol car park or at Spurs (top of the gravity zone) as these areas are reserved for the Blue Dirt MTB shuttle pickup and drop down locations and vehicles only. Thank you for your understanding.
Food & Retail Open – check out https://rockytrailentertainment.com/alpenflow/location/
- ABOM – 9am to 9pm
- Alpine Retreat – 4pm until late
- Birdcage Cafe – 9am until late
- Buller Grocer – 10am to 6pm
- Altitude Alpine Store – 9am to 4pm
ABOUT the event
We will have three tracks on offer utilising:
- FOX – There are some technical sections on “Copperhead” which will test riders. Rocky berms and flat fast sections will test riders technical skill..
- STANS – A flattish pedally start on “Family Trail” followed by the punchy run up “Soul revival” to a decent down “One Tree Hill” will test racers ability to put power down and keep some in reserve to push to the finish.
- LAZER – A freshly groomed “Gang Gangs” track will put a smile on the faces of racers. Fastest here will be the racer who can maintain speed. Good luck.”
Schedule for the day:
- 7.00am – Event Hub
- 7.30am – Registration opens.
- 8.45am – Rider call up – safety briefing.
- 9.00am – all tracks open for racing.
- 1.30pm – last race run.
- 1.45/2pm – Presentation.
What can you expect:
- A well-marked course
- Caution signs in technical areas
- Gaps between riders
- Professional medical contractors on site
- Easy registration
- And a supportive community
Event services and facilities:
- Water: Please bring your own drinking water. There are ample taps around the venue for refills.
- Bike Support: TBC
- Toilets: There are portaloos on-site and we will service them regularly. Disinfectant and wipes will be provided.
- Medical will be based in the event centre and roaming out on track.
- Registration will stay open until racing commences. Spread the word – tell your friends!
If you loved this race come to the Saturday events. See Jo at rego for a discount code! 10% discount to all Academy riders!
Rocky Trail Merchandise:
- Rocky Trail Jersey are now available. Designed by Dharco, be quick before they sell out. Plus socks, hats, mudguards – all available at the rego desk. Cash or card.
- Get cool Rocky Trail T-shirts ($35) and warm hoodies ($65) for that post-race recovery chill!
- Socks $15
- Available from the Rocky Trail rego desk all weekend!
NEW in stock now!
Outer Image Collective photographers will be on site to snap that action photo you have been dreaming about. School Managers gather your team before racing to capture the perfect shot for the Year Book and help promote Mountain Biking in your school.
We are predicting sunny skies but a chill from the Alpine region. Dress warm. Temps day max 14c.
Especially for this event, we encourage volunteering and we need your help – parent/teacher volunteers required on the day. Roles are race starter or course marshall. Add your name to the list at registration, or register via https://rockytrailentertainment.com/home/volunteering/ and we will create a roster on the day. Bring a chair and insect repellent, wear walking shoes and prepare a loud cheering voice to encourage the kids out on track. Come and have a great day in the outdoors!
Last-minute changes are communicated via:
Shout-out to our sponsors
Looking for a bike rack to get you out there? Need a bike trailer for the school? – The Rocky Trail Academy events are now sponsored by Shingleback Offroad!
Shingleback Off-Road is simply put a great fit with the Rocky Trail Academy programme – firstly, because it is an all-Australian company founded by a MTB riding and racing family. They are all about getting out there and having fun – just like we do and it’s what inspired the Rocky Trail Academy events.
The Shingleback racks are designed to be a simple tool to get you where you really want to be quickly – whether you travel with your family or school group – safely and with minimal fuss! Plus they offer bike trailers for schools or riding groups too! Find out more…
Sendy Gear is such a great fit with the programme because this is kid-specific mountain bike gear that is built tough and technical enough to endure all-mountain conditions, for kids who love to send it… just like our Rocky Trail shredders.
Sendy Gear is native to Australia’s Snowy Mountains and they’ve taken taken inspiration from their environment so that the designs are always on-point, pure and practical.
Did you know they also do custom-gear – get in touch with their team for information about school-specific garments. Find out more…
Rider List and Results
All weekend you can find links to Rider List and LIVE Results via the drop-down menu from the event page on our website! You can check these now and throughout the weekend via your mobile devices – to reduce touch points we will not have any public display computers on-site.
Come along and join the team to make the Rocky trail Academy a great success for the Region!
General race regulations
- Race etiquette – Important: you MUST adhere to social distancing rules AND rude behaviour out on track is not acceptable. Please be kind to each other. We are all here to have fun. Chat to our Event Managers if you have any questions.
- We love to help and chat! Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
- Don’t litter – please take your rubbish back with you or throw it in the bins/bags near the registration tent.
- Toilets will be cleaned and disinfect during the day. Please let us know if they need a clean.
- Timing will be done with your timing chip – please ensure it is on your bike/attached to your chest and in the MTB that the plastic doesn’t touch any metal parts of your bike (e.g. don’t wrap the number plate around your handlebar).
- You agreed to our RACE WAIVER when you registered online – here is a link to the RACE WAIVER again
- Click here for DETAILED RACE RULES
COVID-specific Event Guidelines
How are we running this event and how do we keep you safe?
Rocky Trail Covid-19 safety guidelines:
- BEFORE THE RACE: If any of the following applies please contact us immediately.
We will transfer or refund your entry but you CAN NOT PARTICIPATE in the event:
- If you are showing any signs of the cold or flu.
- If you have a fever.
- For details regarding event transfers or to cancel an entry, please refer to our policy.
- ON RACE DAY: There are a few important changes on how we run things on the day:
- ACCESS: Race tracks are closed to the general public.
- RACE PLATE: You can pick up your race plate with the timing chip from the rego and info point – check the schedule for opening times.
- This way we avoid queues near the registration area.
- RACING & ETIQUETTE: You MUST adhere to SOCIAL DISTANCING rules!
- If you queue up at a start line please leave a bike length between each other.
- Overall we don’t expect much queuing as the field will spread quickly.
- When you finish your race, please give each other as much space as possible.
- RESULTS & CEREMONY:
- Race results are LIVE throughout the day.
- Access race results via the website.
- Giveaways to every racer.
Now, get ready!
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)