Rocky Trail Entertainment, in conjunction with Nerang State High School, are super proud to launch the biggest Rocky Trail Academy event in history! With over 200+ students attending, the Gold Coast Schools Mountain Bike Comp is guaranteed to be an awesome ‘play’ school day out on rocky trails. We look forward to welcoming new and existing schools to the dusty trails of Nerang National Park.
This event is part of the Rocky Trail Academy junior development programme and sponsored by Shingleback Off-Road. It is such a great fit with the programme – an all-Australian company founded by a MTB riding and racing family. They are all about getting out there and having fun – just like we do – and it’s what inspired the Rocky Trail Academy events. The Shingleback racks are designed to be a simple tool to get you where you really want to be quickly, safely and with minimal fuss! Find out more…
This will be the ‘Gold Coast Edition’ of the popular schools comp with timed flow trail sections. It’s fun and all about building confidence.
The format was the brain-child of Bob Morris, one of our Race Directors, who looked to create a format that tested multiple skills of mountain biking, whilst challenging the skilled pinner and yet providing an opportunity for riders of all abilities to have a go. Courses are designed to have a flat pedal for XC riders to excel, a technical gravity track for the gravity pinners to shine, and a flow track for the funsters to speed down. The format duplicates our very popular Fox Superflow with 3 tracks, multiple runs, and live timing, in a social safe environment.
Watching the growth of schools offering Mountain Bike programs as a school sport just demonstrates the tremendous popularity of Mountain Biking in the community and the benefits to all. Jo Parker, Event Manager, strives to see #morekidsonbikes and #moregirlsonbikes
VIRTUAL RIDER BRIEFING
RIDER BRIEFING CONTENT IN WRITING
Key things to remember:
- Maintain social distancing at all times in the open air event hub and when purchasing food and drinks.
- We are tracking all event participants – ANY competitor or visitor at the venue is required to Check-In by using the QR code posters available around the event hub:
- Three tracks on offer, to ride in any order, because it’s your adventure for the day!
- Competition will consist of 3 timed sections – track names Fox/Stan/Lazer.
- Tracks have been designed to test a variety of skills, including endurance, speed and technical ability.
- Riders may ride each timed section up to 5 times on each track with their fastest time counting.
- Tip of the day, first run is a sighter run, check the track and conditions, pick your line then race to improve.
- Combined best times will be tallied for the overall result for each rider.
- Riders are representing their school and will be allocated 1 point for each timed section, bonus points awarded for top 5 on each track per category.
- Overall Champion school will be awarded plus podium in each category, male & female.
For those of you, for whom this will be the first Rocky Trail event, we differ from most other events by offering a much more relaxed format. For the Rocky trail Academy:
- Expect less of a winners-only-focused competition, but a positive and inclusive experience for all racers.
- We allow marshall riders to support students on the track, so teachers grab your bike and support the students.
- Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
- Please note – we are Covid Safe compliant, your briefing will be virtual, we’ll be social distancing, and we’ll make this the safest event you’ve ever been at!
We can wait to see you smashing it! – Remember, your race photos are included in your entry, be sure to download them after the race and share your stories using our hashtags. Spread the word!
Did you know? We’re in town for the whole weekend!
Check out the Fox Superflow on Saturday and Sunday, the perfect next step up from the RT Academy schools events!
ABOUT the venue
Event centre and parking location: Gold Coast Cycle Centre, Hope Street Nerang
- The Event Hub is located in the middle of the criterium track. A large green grass space is available for all the school tents and will create the Event Hub for the day.
- Onsite Parking is limited and something we need to manage very tightly. The following procedures have been created to keep both riders and general public safe;
- To access the internal parking area proceed to the second entry gate, commonly referred to as the Scout entrance, just past Stevens Street turn right.
- Wait for the direction from the carpark marshalls, as all cars must give way for any cyclist on the crit track.
- Parking is available near the scout hall and nose into the fence up the hill.
- DO NOT PARK on the crit track.
- For school team cars and trailers a small area is available on the grass. Only one school vehicle allowed per team.
- School team cars must arrive early if you wish to park close to the Hub.
- Overflow parking available on Hope Street
- The Rocky Trail Registration hub will be positioned on the grassy area. Look out for the Rocky Trail marquees and sponsor flags.
- FOX – The Pedal – Uses the Happy Valley Exit and Goanna Loop for a fun loop of approx. 2km. All energy will be needed for this track. Don’t underestimate – it is flat, technical, rooty and rocky.
- STANS – The Tech – Three Hills to Comm Games Loop 2 rock drops and onto Comm Games Loop 1 Decent for 1.5km and 80m of descent. Due to the condition of the rock drop only the B line option will be opened for racing.
- LAZER – The Flow – Petes from the road crossing to the finish. A descent for 1.5km.
Schedule for the day:
- 7.30am – Event Hub & registration open – arrive early as we have a big group of riders.
- 8.45am – Rider call up – safety briefing.
- 9.00am – all tracks open for racing.
- 1.30pm – last race run.
- 1.45/2pm – Presentation.
What can you expect:
- A well-marked course
- Caution signs in technical areas
- Gaps between riders
- Large grassy Event Hub
- Professional medical contractors on site
- Easy registration
- And a supportive community
Services and facilities:
Support the following local businesses for all your riding needs;
- Nerang State High School students will be operating the Dirty Monkey BBQ and selling cold drinks. Kicking off with Bacon & Egg burgers to start the day. Check out the awesome menu and don’t forget card or cash. – Scroll down for the menu!
- Jungle Bean coffee may arrive at 10am selling coffee and milkshakes. Listen out for announcements on the day. Parents come and support the kids and enjoy the great outdoors.
- Water: Please bring your own drinking water. There are ample taps around the park for refills.
- Toilets: There is a public amenities block on-site and we will service it regularly. Disinfectant and wipes will be provided.
- Medical will be based in the event centre and roaming out on track.
- Registration will stay open throughout the day. Spread the word tell your friends.
If you loved this race come on the weekend to the Fox Superflow event. See Jo at rego for a discount code! 10% discount to all Academy riders!
Rocky Trail Merchandise:
- Get cool Rocky Trail T-shirts ($35) and warm hoodies ($65) for that post-race recovery chill!
- Socks $15
- Available from the Rocky Trail rego desk all weekend!
Outer Image Collective photographers will be on site to snap that action photo you have been dreaming about. School Managers gather your team before racing to capture the perfect shot for the Year Book and help promote Mountain Biking in your school.
We are predicting sunny skies with a few late afternoon showers, which will be perfect to clean the dust or mud from the bikes after having a fab day on the trails.
Especially for this event, we encourage volunteering and we need your help – parent/Teacher volunteers required on the day. Roles are race starter or course marshall. Add your name to the list at registration, and we will create a roster. Bring a chair and insect repellent, wear walking shoes and prepare a loud cheering voice to encourage the kids out on track. Come and have a great day in the outdoors!
Last-minute changes are communicated via:
Shingleback Offroad bike racks & trailers
Looking for a bike rack to get you out there? Need a bike trailer for the school? – The Rocky Trail Academy events are now sponsored by Shingleback Offroad!
Shingleback Off-Road is simply put a great fit with the Rocky Trail Academy programme – firstly, because it is an all-Australian company founded by a MTB riding and racing family. They are all about getting out there and having fun – just like we do and it’s what inspired the Rocky Trail Academy events.
The Shingleback racks are designed to be a simple tool to get you where you really want to be quickly – whether you travel with your family or school group – safely and with minimal fuss! Plus they offer bike trailers for schools or riding groups too! Find out more…
Rider List and Results
All weekend you can find links to Rider List and LIVE Results via the drop-down menu from the event page on our website! You can check these now and throughout the weekend via your mobile devices – to reduce touch points we will not have any public display computers on-site.
Come along and join the team to make the Rocky trail Academy a great success for the Region!
General race regulations
- Race etiquette – Important: you MUST adhere to social distancing rules AND rude behaviour out on track is not acceptable. Please be kind to each other. We are all here to have fun. Chat to our Event Managers if you have any questions.
- We love to help and chat! Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
- Don’t litter – please take your rubbish back with you or throw it in the bins/bags near the registration tent.
- Toilets will be cleaned and disinfect during the day. Please let us know if they need a clean.
- Timing will be done with your timing chip – please ensure it is on your bike/attached to your chest and in the MTB that the plastic doesn’t touch any metal parts of your bike (e.g. don’t wrap the number plate around your handlebar).
- You agreed to our RACE WAIVER when you registered online – here is a link to the RACE WAIVER again
- Click here for DETAILED RACE RULES
COVID-specific Event Rules
How are we running this event and how do we keep you safe?
- Social Distancing: Our main request is that you follow the Covid-Safe rules and regulations as laid out by the QLD Government and observe strict Social Distancing Rules throughout your race day. A lot of thought has gone into this Rider Briefing and we expect all competitors and non-racing visitors to comply with how this event will be run. It is very challenging and a privilege to host this event and participate in this race – we appreciate your cooperation.
- Racers AND non-racing supporters and ANY visitor at the venue are required to sign in via the QR QLD App code displayed on the day.
Rocky Trail Covid-19 safety guidelines:
- BEFORE THE RACE: If any of the following applies please contact us immediately.
We will transfer or refund your entry but you CAN NOT PARTICIPATE in the event:
- If you are showing any signs of the cold or flu.
- If you have event the slightest fever (we have facilities on site to test and will send you home immediately if you have fever).
- Please be aware that we will and are ready to shut down and postpone the event if direct Federal or State Health orders change in the event lead up until Friday.
- For details regarding event transfers or to cancel an entry, please refer to our policy.
- ON RACE DAY: There are a few important changes on how we run things on the day:
- We are utilising majority of the trail network, if you are not racing please chat to Jo at the rego tent to understand where you can ride.
- If you are spectating on your non-racing day, please check in online and report to the Rego tent as a supporter/visitor.
- You can practice on non-racing days, but we won’t have any services (marshalls, first aid) in place.
- Volunteers are welcome, again come out and bring your bike if you have one.
- RACE PLATE: You can pick up your race plate with the timing chip from the rego and info point – check the schedule for opening times.
- This way we avoid queues near the registration area.
- RACING & ETIQUETTE: You MUST adhere to SOCIAL DISTANCING rules!
- If you queue up at a start line please leave a bike length between each other.
- Overall we don’t expect much queuing as the field will spread quickly.
- When you finish your race, please give each other as much space as possible.
- RESULTS & CEREMONY:
- Race results are LIVE throughout the day.
- Access race results via the website.
- Presentation ceremony will happen at 1.50pm
- Giveaways to every racer: Rocky Trail sticker sheet at rego.
- IMPORTANT: CHECK YOUR RACE RESULTS with us or as soon as you cross the line! The top three podium getters in each age category will receive a podium prize.
- PARTICIPANT TRACKING:
- Every person at the event (including non-racers) needs to register.
- Racers will be tracked with race plates.
- Non-competitors will need to sign in via the online system.
Now, get ready!
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)