Following on from the successful launch of the Rocky Trail Academy in 2019, we are again super excited to host our second year of Gold Coast Schools Mountain Bike Comp in partnership with Nerang State High School in the very popular Nerang National Park.
The format was the brain child of Bob Morris, Race Director who looked to create a format that tested multiple skills of mountain biking, whilst challenging the skilled pinner and yet providing an opportunity for riders of all abilities to have a go. Courses are designed to have a flat pedal for XC riders to excel, a technical gravity track for the gravity pinners to shine and a flow track for the funsters to speed down. Format duplicates our very popular Fox Superflow, 3 tracks, multiply runs, live timing, in a social safe environment.
Watching the growth of schools offering Mountain Bike programs as a school sport just demonstrates the tremendous popularity of Mountain Biking in the community and the benefits to all, Jo Parker Event Manager strives to see #morekidsonbikes and #moregirlsonbikes
Virtual Rider Briefing
This is the virtual rider briefing for the Rocky Trail Academy on the Gold Coast at Nerang MTB Park in QLD on 30 October 2020.
Written Rider Briefing
We are so grateful for the outpour of support and enthusiasm by our Rocky Trail racers and community over the last few weeks and months.
We have been one of the first and few MTB events organisers back globally running races post the Covid19 outbreak and all eyes continue to be on us.
We need your cooperation.
How are we running this event and how do we keep you safe? By limiting the rider field to 300 per day you can see right away that we will err on the side of caution. So please understand that whilst some rules might appear harsh, our main aim is to ensure a safe and professional event environment so we can keep racing in this new world.
A lot of thought has gone into this Rider Briefing and we expect all competitors and non-racing visitors to comply with how this event will be run. It is very challenging and a privilege to host this event and participate in this race – we appreciate your cooperation.
We are tracking all event participants – non-racing supporters and ANY visitor at the venue are required to sign in for an Event Access Pass ahead of the race or on the day via these links:
IMPORTANT: we understand completely that these are difficult and complex times and therefore, if you feel anxious, unsure or not comfortable to participate in this event, please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org and we WILL REFUND your entry, no questions asked.
About: EVENT FORMAT
- Competition will consist of 3 timed sections.
- Tracks have been designed to test a variety of skills, including endurance, speed and technical ability.
- Riders may ride each timed section up to 5 times on each track with their fastest time counting.
- Combined best times will be tallied for the overall result for each rider.
- Riders are representing their school and will be allocated 1 point for each timed section, bonus points awarded for top 5 on each track per category
- Overall Champion school will be awarded plus podium in each category male & female.
For those of you, for whom this will be the first Rocky Trail event, we differ from most other events by offering a much more relaxed format. For the Rocky trail Academy:
- Expect less of a winners-only-focused competition, but a positive and inclusive experience for all racers.
- We allow marshall riders to support students on the track
- Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
- Please note – we are Covid Safe compliant, your briefing will be virtual, we’ll be social distancing, and we’ll make this the safest event you’ve ever been at!
About: The venue
- Event Hub is located within the Gold Coast Cycle Centre, Hope Road Nerang
- Parking arrangements have been changed from previous years or events so please read carefully;
- Internal parking is only allowed for official event vehicles or school team buses. No parking is allowed on the criterium track !
- School buses and trailers will be parked in the designated parking area North of the clubhouse, grass area or scout parking bay. Schools who wish to park internally please email Jo – email@example.com.
- If you need to drop large equipment close to the Event Hub please follow the volunteer directions at the gate.
- FOX (blue)
- The technical track uses “Three Hills” and “Comm Games Loop2” starting at fire road opposite the “Barneys” trail head riders will negotiate the rocky sections of “Three Hills” to the five ways trail sign where riders will be directed down the very fun “Comm Games Loop2” descent to finish just above the exit to the Event Eub in the Cycle Centre.
- To get to the start use the main fire road heading left at the park entrance from the Event Hub.
- STANS (green)
- The pedal track is the full “Casuarina” track. Riders will start on the fire road near the trail head sign and rider in a clockwise direction to finish back on the fire road near the “Comm Games Loop3”.
- As soon as you leave the Event Hub you will see the start just in front of you.
- LAZER (red)
- The speed track is the full length of the “Pete’s” track diverting at the end onto the descent of “Comm Games Loop3” to finish near the finish of the STANS track.
- To get to the start use the main fire road heading right at the park entrance from the Event Hub.
Schedule for the day:
8am – Event Hub & registration open
8.45am – Rider call up – safety briefing
9.00am – 1.50pm – Race runs
2.30pm – Presentation
What you can expect:
- A well-marked course
- Caution signs in technical areas
- Gaps between riders
- Large grassy Event Hub
- Professional Medical contractors on site
- BBQ operated by Nerang State High students selling drinks & hot food
- Easy registration
- And a supportive community
Services and facilities:
A BBQ will be operated by Nerang State High School students – come along and support by ordering your lunch and cold drink from the friendly students. Check out the menu, so much yummy food!
Outer Image Collective photographers will be on site to snap that action photo you have been dreaming about. School Managers gather your team before racing to capture the perfect shot for the Year Book and help promote Mountain Biking in your school. Price range from $7 to $24.95
Currently we believe the weather will be good with minimal rain forecasted on the day. If due to unforeseen weather circumstances and we need to cancel on the day we will post a message on our website and Facebook pages; don’t Forget – To keep up to date with Rocky Trail events subscribe to our NEWSLETTER.
Come along and join the team to make the Rocky trail Academy a great success for the Region!
Race Director – Bob Morris 0458 299 558
Event Manager & Media Liaison – Jo Parker 0424 955 332
IMPORTANT EVENT DETAILS YOU MUST KNOW
- If any of the following applies please contact us immediately.
We will transfer or refund your entry but you CAN NOT PARTICIPATE in the event:
- If you live or have been to a published Covid-19 Hot Spot – please check the Hot Spot list here
- If you are showing any signs of the cold or flu
- If you have even the slightest fever (we have facilities on site to test and will send you home immediately if you have fever)
- Find out more information about the QLD border restrictions
- Again, we understand completely that these are difficult and complex times and therefore, if you feel anxious, unsure or not comfortable to participate in this event, please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org and we WILL REFUND your entry, no questions asked.
- There are a few important changes on how we run things on the day:
- We have exclusive use of the trail network
- If you are a non-racer, please check in at the Rego tent as a supporter/visitor.
- Track will be marked on Thursday and open for practise.
- Volunteers are welcome, again come out and bring your bike if you have one.
- RACING & ETIQUETTE: Please adhere to SOCIAL DISTANCING rules!
- Again, when you are waiting up at the starts, please do it in a single file leaving a bike length between each other.
- No hand-shaking permitted at event.
- Please understand that we need to be very strict on this . Non-compliance will result in revoking race access or disqualification.
- CHEERING: Keep 4m distance to the race track!
- If you ‘hackle’ or encourage other riders on their race run please do so at least 4m away from the race track.
- Shouting is a known source of virus transmission and we MUST minimise the risk there. Non-compliance will result in revoking race access or disqualification.
- RESULTS & CEREMONY:
- Race results are LIVE throughout the day.
- Access race results via the website
- Presentation ceremony will kick off approx. 2.30pm
- IMPORTANT: CHECK YOUR RACE RESULTS as soon as you cross the line! The top three podium getters in each age category will receive a podium medal
- Giveaways to every racer: Rocky trail water bottle.
- FACILITIES & SERVICES:
- Water: Please bring your own drinking water – we will not have shared water.
- Toilets: there is a public amenities block on-site and we will service it regularly. Disinfectant and wipes will be provided.
- Medical: will be based in the event centre and roaming out on track.
- PERSONAL HYGIENE:
- No ‘snot rockets’ (blowing your nose without a tissue) in the vicinity of other people.
- Hand washing stations and sanitation stations are available at the venue.
- Please regularly clean your hands with an alcoholic-based hand rub or wash hands with soap and water (especially after going to bathroom, before eating, after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing).
- Riders and visitors are encouraged to wear (cycling) gloves when picking up number plates.
- Unless from the same family, we discourage you from car-pooling to the venue.
- PARTICIPANT TRACKING:
- Every person at the event (including non-racers) need to register.
- Racers will be track with race plates.
- Non-competitors will be issued a Race Access pass.
Rider lists and Results
From now on and all weekend you can find links to Rider List and LIVE Results via the drop-down menu from the Nerang Academy event page on our website. You can check these now and throughout the weekend via your mobile devices (also from home!) – to reduce touch points we will not have any public display computers on-site.
Enforcement of COVID Safe Plan
If we see blatant breaches of those rules we will ask you to leave the event. You are not only potentially endangering other racers, but also the future of our business. We recommend but won’t enforce that all event participants use the Covid Safe App to assist health authorities with tracking potentially.
Please understand that the team won’t shake hands, hug, high five or fist bump anyone and will be trying keep some distance to all riders during registration, start and finish. There will be a lot socially distance elbow bumps from us, which is almost as good.
Download the full Covid-19 Safety Plan below and here is a summary:
- The usual race rules still apply as always. In summary:
- You need to stay on the race track. No cheating or ‘sneaky pro lines’ where you leave the track and re-enter.
- Don’t litter – please take your rubbish back with you or throw it in the landfill or recycling bins we have near the registration tent.
- Timing will be done with your timing chip – please ensure it is on your bike and that the plastic doesn’t touch any metal parts of your bike (e.g. don’t wrap the number plate around your handlebar).
- If you need to pass a rider out on track please do it in a friendly and safe way. Keep in mind that you have multiple runs per track so if you get held up you can always have another go.
- You agreed to our RACE WAIVER when you registered online – here is a link to the RACE WAIVER again
- Click here for DETAILED RACE RULES
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)