This event is part of the Rocky Trail Academy junior development programme, sponsored by Shingleback Off-Road and Sendy Gear.
After a false start last month the sun is shining and we return to the very popular home of school mountain bike racing here in Nerang!
This popular schools comp with timed sections and multiple runs provides a fun racing experience for the next generations of mountain bikers. With the borders open we are looking forward to welcoming schools and students from Northern NSW. Registration numbers are still coming in and we are expecting a very busy day with 300 students from over 29 schools being represented so far.
About the Rocky Trail Academy Schools events
The format was the brain-child of Bob Morris and Jo Parker, our National Event Managers, who looked to create a format that tested multiple skills of mountain biking, whilst challenging the skilled pinner and yet providing an opportunity for riders of all abilities to have a go. Courses are designed to have a flat pedal for XC riders to excel, a technical gravity track for the gravity pinners to shine, and a flow track for the funsters to speed down. The format duplicates our very popular Fox Superflow with 3 tracks, multiple runs, and live timing, in a social safe environment.
Watching the growth of schools offering Mountain Bike programs as a school sport just demonstrates the tremendous popularity of Mountain Biking in the community and the benefits to all. Jo Parker, strives to see #morekidsonbikes and #moregirlsonbikes
VIRTUAL RIDER BRIEFING
RIDER BRIEFING CONTENT IN WRITING
Key things to remember:
- Maintain social distancing at all times in the open air event hub
- Three tracks on offer, to ride in any order, because it’s your adventure for the day!
- Competition will consist of 3 timed sections – track names are Fox/Stan/Lazer.
- Tracks have been designed to test a variety of skills, including endurance, speed and technical ability.
- Riders may ride each timed section up to 5 times on each track with their fastest time counting.
- Tip of the day, first run is a sighter run, check the track and conditions, pick your line then race to improve.
- Combined best times will be tallied for the overall result for each rider.
- Riders are representing their school and will be allocated 1 point for each timed section completed, bonus points awarded for top 5 on each track per category.
- Overall Champion school will be awarded plus podium in each category, male & female.
For those of you for whom this will be the first Rocky Trail event, we differ from most other events by offering a much more relaxed format. For the Rocky trail Academy:
- Expect less of a winners-only-focused competition, but a positive and inclusive experience for all racers.
- We allow marshall riders to support students on the track, so teachers grab your bike and support the students.
- Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
We can’t wait to see you smashing it! – Remember, your race photos are included in your entry, be sure to download them after the race and share your stories using our hashtags. Spread the word!
ABOUT the venue
Nerang National Park – Gold Coast Cycle Centre – Hope Street Nerang
The site is centrally located within Nerang with lots of street parking.
GETTING THERE AND PARKING:
- Parking onsite is limited to: team managers with marquees, vehicles with trailers.
- We have access to the large grass space, scouts parking area and carpark below the clubhouse.
- NO PARKING IS ALLOWED ON THE CRIT TRACK. Please follow the directions of our parking marshalls.
- Koala/Surfside coaches are unable to enter site.
- When parking offsite please ensure all driveways are kept clear, local parking inspectors have been in the area recently. Do not park on the grass verge near the scrap yard business.
- The event hub will be located along the internal crit track with ample room for school marquees.
- NOTE marquees will need to be secured with weights as they are positioned along the road. We highly encourage schools to bring marquees.
The technical track uses “Three Hills” and “Comm Games Loop 2” starting at the fire road opposite the “Barneys” trail head. Riders will negotiate the rocky sections of “Three Hills” to the five ways trail sign where riders will be directed down the very fun “Comm Games Loop 2” descent to finish just above the exit to the Event Hub in the Cycle Centre.
The pedal track is the full “Casuarina” track. Riders will start on the fire road near the trail head sign and ride in a clockwise direction to finish back on the fire road near the “Comm Games Loop 3.”
The speed track is the full length of the “Pete’s” track, diverting at the end onto the descent of “Comm Games Loop 3” to finish near the finish of the STANS track.
Schedule for the day:
- 7.15am – Registration opens.
- 8.45am – Rider call up – safety briefing.
- 9.00am – all tracks open for racing.
- 1.30pm – last race run.
- 1.45pm – Presentation
- 2.00pm – Event closed
What can you expect:
- A well-marked course
- Caution signs in technical areas
- Gaps between riders
- Professional medical contractors on site
- Easy registration
- And a supportive community
Event services and facilities:
- Food and Cold Drinks: A BBQ will be operating by the students of Nerang State High. Bacon and egg burgers from 9am then a range of burgers to keep everyone satisfied. Cash or Card welcome.
- Coffee: Johnno from Groupset Coffee will be on site from 7am with hot drinks, muffins and frappies.
- Bike Support: The team from Giant Nerang will be set up for the last minute bike bits. Good maintenance will make your day better.
- Water: Please bring your own drinking water. Water taps are available on site.
- Toilets: Toilet block will be open below the canteen area. Walk towards the clubhouse
- Medical will be based in the event centre and roaming out on track.
- Registration will stay open until racing commences. Spread the word – tell your friends!
Rocky Trail Merchandise:
- Rocky Trail Jerseys designed by Dharco ($75-$85)
- New in: Rocky Trail X Sendy Hoodies $65 and T-shirts $35
- Socks $15
- Mudguards $20
- Rocky Trail hats made from recycled materials “eco-choice” – $30
- Available from the Rocky Trail rego desk all weekend!
Hoodies and T-shirts
Outer Image Collective photographers will be on site to snap that action photo you have been dreaming about. School Managers gather your team before racing to capture the perfect shot for the Year Book and help promote Mountain Biking in your school.
Cloudy skies with late showers – temps 12c to 23c.
Especially for this event, we encourage volunteering and we need your help – parent/teacher volunteers required on the day. Roles are race starter or course marshall. Add your name to the list at registration, or register via https://rockytrailentertainment.com/home/volunteering/ and we will create a roster on the day. Bring a chair, jumper and sunscreen, wear walking shoes and prepare a loud cheering voice to encourage the kids out on track. Come and have a great day in the outdoors!
Last-minute changes are communicated via:
Shout-out to our main sponsors
Looking for a bike rack to get you out there? Need a bike trailer for the school? – The Rocky Trail Academy events are now sponsored by Shingleback Offroad!
Shingleback Off-Road is simply put a great fit with the Rocky Trail Academy programme – firstly, because it is an all-Australian company founded by a MTB riding and racing family. They are all about getting out there and having fun – just like we do and it’s what inspired the Rocky Trail Academy events.
The Shingleback racks are designed to be a simple tool to get you where you really want to be quickly – whether you travel with your family or school group – safely and with minimal fuss! Plus they offer bike trailers for schools or riding groups too! Find out more…
Sendy Gear is such a great fit with the programme because this is kid-specific mountain bike gear that is built tough and technical enough to endure all-mountain conditions, for kids who love to send it… just like our Rocky Trail shredders.
Sendy Gear is native to Australia’s Snowy Mountains and they’ve taken taken inspiration from their environment so that the designs are always on-point, pure and practical.
Did you know they also do custom-gear – get in touch with their team for information about school-specific garments. Find out more…
Rider List and Results
All weekend you can find links to Rider List and LIVE Results via the drop-down menu from the event page on our website! You can check these now and throughout the weekend via your mobile devices – to reduce touch points we will not have any public display computers on-site.
Come along and join the team to make the Rocky trail Academy a great success for the Region!
General race regulations
- Race etiquette – Important: you MUST adhere to social distancing rules AND rude behaviour out on track is not acceptable. Please be kind to each other. We are all here to have fun. Chat to our Event Managers if you have any questions.
- We love to help and chat! Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
- Don’t litter – please take your rubbish back with you or throw it in the bins/bags near the registration tent.
- Timing will be done with your timing chip – please ensure it is on your bike/attached to your chest and in the MTB that the plastic doesn’t touch any metal parts of your bike (e.g. don’t wrap the number plate around your handlebar).
- You agreed to our RACE WAIVER when you registered online – here is a link to the RACE WAIVER again
- Click here for DETAILED RACE RULES
COVID Event Guidelines
Rocky Trail Entertainment has all required Covid Safety plans and requirements in place.
We ask that if If you are showing any signs of the cold or flu or have a fever, that you please NOT come to the race. Please contact us immediately and we will transfer or refund your entry.
Now, get ready!
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)