This event is part of the Rocky Trail Academy junior development programme, sponsored by Shingleback Off-Road and Sendy Gear.
VIRTUAL RIDER BRIEFING
We are looking forward to bringing our Rocky Trail Academy for the first time to the very popular Redlands Coast Eastern Escarpment Mount Cotton Trails! So good to see a big line-up of new schools to the Rocky Trail Academy this Friday!
RIDER BRIEFING CONTENT IN WRITING
Key things to remember:
- The day’s activities will be based from the Karingal Scout Park – Robs Kitchen activity area. Please do not park or drop riders along West Mount Cotton road as you will not find us.
- Robs Kitchen is a large open space with plenty of parking for all. The race tracks are accessed via a gate approx 200m from the event hub.
- Access to Event Hub and trails will be from the Karingal Scout Park entry – access via Mount Cotton Road. Turn into Karingal Road, proceed to the front entrance of the Scout Park and follow the yellow signs to our site – Robs Kitchen (refer park map below).
- For all school buses with trailers we suggest parking at the top of the hill or checking before proceeding down to the event hub area.
Event services and facilities:
- FOOD – Moreton Bay Colleges will be on site operating the BBQ. Grab a yummy bacon and egg burger to start the day then a burger or sausage for lunch. Cash or card welcome.
- COFFEE – Johnno from Groupset will be on site ready and waiting with the best coffee in town.
- BIKE SUPPORT – Nick from Pedal Inn Bicycle Garage will be on site for last minute items.
- WATER – Bring your own water supply.
- TOILETS – Unisex toilets available on site.
- MEDICAL – Will be based in the event centre and roaming out on track.
- SCHOOL & TEAM MARQUEES – are welcome to be set up, we have plenty of room on site.
Sunshine with some clouds developing – low of 9c high 21c. Bring a jumper or perfect time to buy a Rocky Trail Hoodie! Last chance for 2022.
Especially for this event, we encourage volunteering and we need your help – parent/teacher volunteers required on the day. Roles are race starter or course marshall. Add your name to the list at registration, or register via https://rockytrailentertainment.com/home/volunteering/ and we will create a roster on the day. Bring a chair, jumper and sunscreen, wear walking shoes and prepare a loud cheering voice to encourage the kids out on track. Come and have a great day in the outdoors!
- Fox – The technical track will be “Shenanigans.” Watch for the rock cut and some loose corners up high before enjoying the faster jumps to finish. 1.2km long with 110m vertical drop.
- Stan’s – The flow track will be “Powerful Howl.” Flow and heaps of it will get riders to the bottom fastest. Maintain speed, and try not to smile too widely. 800m long with 80m vertical drop.
- Lazer – The pedally track will be “Cotton Canyon.” A gradual descent to start followed by some undulating track across several creek crossings. 1.5km long with 60m vert total & approx 30m climbing.
Schedule for the day:
- 7.15am – Registration opens
- 8.45am – Rider call up – safety briefing
- 9.00am – all tracks open for racing
- 1.30pm – last race run
- 1.45pm – Presentation
- 2.00pm – Event closed
What can you expect:
- A well-marked course
- Caution signs in technical areas
- Gaps between riders
- Professional medical contractors on site
- Easy registration
- And a supportive community
- Maintain social distancing at all times in the open air event hub.
- This round THREE tracks on offer, to ride in any order, because it’s your adventure for the day!
- Competition will consist of 3 timed sections – track names are Fox/Stan/Lazer.
- Tracks have been designed to test a variety of skills, including endurance, speed and technical ability.
- Riders may ride each timed section up to 5 times on each track with their fastest time counting.
- Tip of the day, first run is a sighter run, check the track and conditions, pick your line then race to improve.
- Combined best times will be tallied for the overall result for each rider.
- Riders are representing their school and will be allocated 1 point for each timed section completed, bonus points awarded for top 5 on each track per category.
- Overall Champion school will be awarded plus podium in each category, male & female.
For those of you for whom this will be the first Rocky Trail event, we differ from most other events by offering a much more relaxed format. For the Rocky trail Academy:
- Expect less of a winners-only-focused competition, but a positive and inclusive experience for all racers.
- We allow marshall riders to support students on the track, so teachers grab your bike and support the students.
- Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
We can’t wait to see you smashing it! – Remember, your race photos are included in your entry, be sure to download them after the race and share your stories using our hashtags. Spread the word!
Rider List and Results
All weekend you can find links to Rider List and LIVE Results via the drop-down menu from the event page on our website! You can check these now and throughout the weekend via your mobile devices – to reduce touch points we will not have any public display computers on-site.
Come along and join the team to make the Rocky trail Academy a great success for the Region!
Race Director – Bob Morris 0458 299 558
Event Manager & Media Liaison – Jo Parker 0424 955 332
What else is happing at Eastern Escarpment this weekend?
About the Rocky Trail Academy Schools events
This popular schools comp with timed sections and multiple runs provides a fun racing experience for the next generations of mountain bikers. Registration numbers are still coming in and we are expecting a very busy day with 250 students from over 23 schools being represented so far. We welcome Redlands College, Somerset College, and Ambrose Treacy College to our event.
The format was the brain-child of Bob Morris and Jo Parker, our National Event Managers, who looked to create a format that tested multiple skills of mountain biking, whilst challenging the skilled pinner and yet providing an opportunity for riders of all abilities to have a go. Courses are designed to have a flat pedal for XC riders to excel, a technical gravity track for the gravity pinners to shine, and a flow track for the funsters to speed down. The format duplicates our very popular Fox Superflow with 3 tracks, multiple runs, and live timing, in a social safe environment.
Watching the growth of schools offering Mountain Bike programs as a school sport just demonstrates the tremendous popularity of Mountain Biking in the community and the benefits to all. Jo Parker, strives to see #morekidsonbikes and #moregirlsonbikes.
We have already started planning 2023 and guarantee more school events for more students and schools. Subscribe now to our newsletter to stay up to date with all of our announcements.
Rocky Trail Merchandise:
- Rocky Trail Jerseys designed by Dharco ($75-$85)
- New in: Rocky Trail X Sendy Hoodies $65 and T-shirts $35
- Socks $15
- Mudguards $20
- Rocky Trail hats made from recycled materials “eco-choice” – $30
- Available from the Rocky Trail rego desk all weekend!
Hoodies and T-shirts
Outer Image Collective photographers will be on site to snap that action photo you have been dreaming about. School Managers gather your team before racing to capture the perfect shot for the Year Book and help promote Mountain Biking in your school.
Last-minute changes are communicated via:
Shout-out to our main sponsors
Looking for a bike rack to get you out there? Need a bike trailer for the school? – The Rocky Trail Academy events are now sponsored by Shingleback Offroad!
Shingleback Off-Road is simply put a great fit with the Rocky Trail Academy programme – firstly, because it is an all-Australian company founded by a MTB riding and racing family. They are all about getting out there and having fun – just like we do and it’s what inspired the Rocky Trail Academy events.
The Shingleback racks are designed to be a simple tool to get you where you really want to be quickly – whether you travel with your family or school group – safely and with minimal fuss! Plus they offer bike trailers for schools or riding groups too! Find out more…
Sendy Gear is such a great fit with the programme because this is kid-specific mountain bike gear that is built tough and technical enough to endure all-mountain conditions, for kids who love to send it… just like our Rocky Trail shredders.
Sendy Gear is native to Australia’s Snowy Mountains and they’ve taken taken inspiration from their environment so that the designs are always on-point, pure and practical.
Did you know they also do custom-gear – get in touch with their team for information about school-specific garments. Find out more…
General race regulations
- Race etiquette – Important: you MUST adhere to social distancing rules AND rude behaviour out on track is not acceptable. Please be kind to each other. We are all here to have fun. Chat to our Event Managers if you have any questions.
- We love to help and chat! Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
- Don’t litter – please take your rubbish back with you or throw it in the bins/bags near the registration tent.
- Timing will be done with your timing chip – please ensure it is on your bike/attached to your chest and in the MTB that the plastic doesn’t touch any metal parts of your bike (e.g. don’t wrap the number plate around your handlebar).
- You agreed to our RACE WAIVER when you registered online – here is a link to the RACE WAIVER again
- Click here for DETAILED RACE RULES
COVID Event Guidelines
Rocky Trail Entertainment has all required Covid Safety plans and requirements in place.
We ask that if If you are showing any signs of the cold or flu or have a fever, that you please NOT come to the race. Please contact us immediately and we will transfer or refund your entry.
Now, get ready!
Rocky Trail race vibes on the go!
Listen to Rocky Trail Radio powered by earSHOTS to get ready to race!
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)
You must be logged in to post a comment.