This event is part of the Rocky Trail Academy junior development programme, sponsored by Shingleback Off-Road and Sendy Gear.
VIRTUAL RIDER BRIEFING
Once again Rocky Trail can showcase that the sport of Mountain Biking on the Sunshine Coast is popular! For the second year running the Sunshine Coast Academy is sold out with over 300 riders from 22 schools representing. Arrive early as it is going to be busyyyyy!!!!
RIDER BRIEFING CONTENT IN WRITING
Key things to remember:
- Maintain social distancing at all times in the open air event hub.
- This year FOUR tracks on offer, to ride in any order, because it’s your adventure for the day!
- Competition will consist of 4 timed sections – track names are Fox/Stan/Lazer/Maxxis
- Tracks have been designed to test a variety of skills, including endurance, speed and technical ability.
- Riders may ride each timed section up to 5 times on each track with their fastest time counting.
- Tip of the day, first run is a sighter run, check the track and conditions, pick your line then race to improve.
- Combined best times will be tallied for the overall result for each rider.
- Riders are representing their school and will be allocated 1 point for each timed section completed, bonus points awarded for top 5 on each track per category.
- Overall Champion school will be awarded plus podium in each category, male & female.
For those of you for whom this will be the first Rocky Trail event, we differ from most other events by offering a much more relaxed format. For the Rocky trail Academy:
- Expect less of a winners-only-focused competition, but a positive and inclusive experience for all racers.
- We allow marshall riders to support students on the track, so teachers grab your bike and support the students.
- Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
We can’t wait to see you smashing it! – Remember, your race photos are included in your entry, be sure to download them after the race and share your stories using our hashtags. Spread the word!
ABOUT the venue
GETTING THERE AND PARKING:
Sugarbag Mountain Bike Park is located on Sugarbag Road in the middle of suburban Caloundra. The venue has fantastic features but sadly minimal parking. Therefore we need you to plan your trip and allow enough time to arrive, park and be ready for racing.
Arrival: A dedicated drop and go zone has been established onsite for all to use.
Parking: No onsite parking is available. Offsite parking is available at the following locations:
- Powerline easement – Mark Road East (access from the industrial area at the base of the park).
- Caloundra High School and sporting fields in Bower Street – a bike path connects venue to parking.
- Local residential streets, please ensure you keep driveways clear.
- No parking along Sugarbag Road – traffic officers will be monitoring the area.
- Bus parking is along Bower Street.
- The construction has just finished, the large centre grass area is now open BUT NO BIKES ALLOWED. Please help us manage the space on the day.
- Bike racks have been set up for each school to use.
- School and group marquees are welcome but no spikes are allowed, please bring weights or sandbags to secure. We welcome setup of marquees late Thursday or early Friday morning.
TRACK CLOSURES – IMPORTANT:
The following tracks are closed for the duration of the Rocky Trail Academy event – Bee Knees, Pump Track, Dual Slalom, Fantales and the Playground.
- FOX: Starting on the Milky Way before diverting into Golden Rough then on to Rocky Road.
- STANS: Starting on the Milky Way before entering into Syrup.
- LAZER: Starting at the top of the centre road, run the complete loop of Sweet sugar to finish back on the centre road.
- MAXXIS: Sharing its start with STAN’S running down the Milky Way before dropping into Honeycomb.
- Liaison stage will be back to event hub via Willy Wonka & Sour Power.
Schedule for the day:
- 7.15am – Registration opens
- 8.45am – Rider call up – safety briefing
- 9.00am – all tracks open for racing
- 1.30pm – last race run
- 1.45pm – Presentation
- 2.00pm – Event closed
What can you expect:
- A well-marked course
- Caution signs in technical areas
- Gaps between riders
- Professional medical contractors on site
- Easy registration
- And a supportive community
Event services and facilities:
- Food and Cold Drinks: Mexican Tucka will be on site all day. Bring cash or card – https://www.facebook.com/MexicanTucka/.
- Coffee: Grab your first coffee of the day from Johnno – https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=groupset%20coffee .
- Bike Support: HitBikes has you covered with any last minute bike issues – https://www.facebook.com/hitbikes.
- Water: Please bring your own drinking water. Water taps are available on site.
- Toilets: Unisex toilets available on site.
- Medical will be based in the event centre and roaming out on track.
- Registration is closed. We are sold out!
Sunny skies with a top of 24c.
Especially for this event, we encourage volunteering and we need your help – parent/teacher volunteers required on the day. Roles are race starter or course marshall. Add your name to the list at registration, or register via https://rockytrailentertainment.com/home/volunteering/ and we will create a roster on the day. Bring a chair, jumper and sunscreen, wear walking shoes and prepare a loud cheering voice to encourage the kids out on track. Come and have a great day in the outdoors!
Rider List and Results
All weekend you can find links to Rider List and LIVE Results via the drop-down menu from the event page on our website! You can check these now and throughout the weekend via your mobile devices – to reduce touch points we will not have any public display computers on-site.
Come along and join the team to make the Rocky trail Academy a great success for the Region!
Race Director – Bob Morris 0458 299 558
Event Manager & Media Liaison – Jo Parker 0424 955 332
What else is happing at Sugar Bag this weekend?
About the Rocky Trail Academy Schools events
This popular schools comp with timed sections and multiple runs provides a fun racing experience for the next generations of mountain bikers. With the borders open we are looking forward to welcoming schools and students from Northern NSW. Registration numbers are still coming in and we are expecting a very busy day with 300 students from over 29 schools being represented so far.
The format was the brain-child of Bob Morris and Jo Parker, our National Event Managers, who looked to create a format that tested multiple skills of mountain biking, whilst challenging the skilled pinner and yet providing an opportunity for riders of all abilities to have a go. Courses are designed to have a flat pedal for XC riders to excel, a technical gravity track for the gravity pinners to shine, and a flow track for the funsters to speed down. The format duplicates our very popular Fox Superflow with 3 tracks, multiple runs, and live timing, in a social safe environment.
Watching the growth of schools offering Mountain Bike programs as a school sport just demonstrates the tremendous popularity of Mountain Biking in the community and the benefits to all. Jo Parker, strives to see #morekidsonbikes and #moregirlsonbikes
Rocky Trail Merchandise:
- Rocky Trail Jerseys designed by Dharco ($75-$85)
- New in: Rocky Trail X Sendy Hoodies $65 and T-shirts $35
- Socks $15
- Mudguards $20
- Rocky Trail hats made from recycled materials “eco-choice” – $30
- Available from the Rocky Trail rego desk all weekend!
Hoodies and T-shirts
Outer Image Collective photographers will be on site to snap that action photo you have been dreaming about. School Managers gather your team before racing to capture the perfect shot for the Year Book and help promote Mountain Biking in your school.
Last-minute changes are communicated via:
Shout-out to our main sponsors
Looking for a bike rack to get you out there? Need a bike trailer for the school? – The Rocky Trail Academy events are now sponsored by Shingleback Offroad!
Shingleback Off-Road is simply put a great fit with the Rocky Trail Academy programme – firstly, because it is an all-Australian company founded by a MTB riding and racing family. They are all about getting out there and having fun – just like we do and it’s what inspired the Rocky Trail Academy events.
The Shingleback racks are designed to be a simple tool to get you where you really want to be quickly – whether you travel with your family or school group – safely and with minimal fuss! Plus they offer bike trailers for schools or riding groups too! Find out more…
Sendy Gear is such a great fit with the programme because this is kid-specific mountain bike gear that is built tough and technical enough to endure all-mountain conditions, for kids who love to send it… just like our Rocky Trail shredders.
Sendy Gear is native to Australia’s Snowy Mountains and they’ve taken taken inspiration from their environment so that the designs are always on-point, pure and practical.
Did you know they also do custom-gear – get in touch with their team for information about school-specific garments. Find out more…
General race regulations
- Race etiquette – Important: you MUST adhere to social distancing rules AND rude behaviour out on track is not acceptable. Please be kind to each other. We are all here to have fun. Chat to our Event Managers if you have any questions.
- We love to help and chat! Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
- Don’t litter – please take your rubbish back with you or throw it in the bins/bags near the registration tent.
- Timing will be done with your timing chip – please ensure it is on your bike/attached to your chest and in the MTB that the plastic doesn’t touch any metal parts of your bike (e.g. don’t wrap the number plate around your handlebar).
- You agreed to our RACE WAIVER when you registered online – here is a link to the RACE WAIVER again
- Click here for DETAILED RACE RULES
COVID Event Guidelines
Rocky Trail Entertainment has all required Covid Safety plans and requirements in place.
We ask that if If you are showing any signs of the cold or flu or have a fever, that you please NOT come to the race. Please contact us immediately and we will transfer or refund your entry.
Now, get ready!
Rocky Trail race vibes on the go!
Listen to Rocky Trail Radio powered by earSHOTS to get ready to race!
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)
You must be logged in to post a comment.