Lets go, the sweet Sugarbag trails will come alive this Friday 6th November with 130+ secondary students shredding the tracks and meeting new riding buddies. For the first time on Sunshine Coast trails Rocky Trail is bringing not one but two formats to the region. Kicking of with Rocky Trail Academy and the Sunshine Coast Schools MTB Comp edition then setting the scene with our iconic Shimano MTB GP 4hr/7hr solo or team format on Saturday 7th November. Don’t forget it is not to late to register for either event!
Rocky Trail Academy was the brain child of Bob Morris, Race Director who looked to create a format that tested multiple skills of mountain biking, whilst challenging the skilled pinner and yet providing an opportunity for riders of all abilities to have a go. Courses are designed to have a flat pedal for XC riders to excel, a technical gravity track for the gravity pinners to shine and a flow track for the funsters to speed down. Format duplicates our very popular Fox Superflow, 3 tracks, multiply runs, live timing, in a social safe environment.
Watching the growth of schools offering Mountain Bike programs as a school sport just demonstrates the tremendous popularity of Mountain Biking in the community and the benefits to all, Jo Parker Event Manager strives to see #morekidsonbikes and #moregirlsonbikes
Virtual Rider Briefing
This is the virtual rider briefing for the Rocky Trail Academy on the Sunshine Coast’s Sugarbag MTB Trails on 6 November 2020.
Written Rider Briefing
We are so grateful for the outpour of support and enthusiasm by our Rocky Trail racers and community over the last few weeks and months.
We have been one of the first and few MTB events organisers back globally running races post the Covid19 outbreak and all eyes continue to be on us.
We need your cooperation.
How are we running this event and how do we keep you safe? By limiting the rider field to 300 per day you can see right away that we will err on the side of caution. So please understand that whilst some rules might appear harsh, our main aim is to ensure a safe and professional event environment so we can keep racing in this new world.
A lot of thought has gone into this Rider Briefing and we expect all competitors and non-racing visitors to comply with how this event will be run. It is very challenging and a privilege to host this event and participate in this race – we appreciate your cooperation.
We are tracking all event participants – non-racing supporters and ANY visitor at the venue are required to sign in for an Event Access Pass ahead of the race or on the day via these links:
IMPORTANT: we understand completely that these are difficult and complex times and therefore, if you feel anxious, unsure or not comfortable to participate in this event, please contact us via email@example.com and we WILL REFUND your entry, no questions asked.
About: EVENT FORMAT
- Competition will consist of 3 timed sections.
- Tracks have been designed to test a variety of skills, including endurance, speed and technical ability.
- Riders may ride each timed section up to 5 times on each track with their fastest time counting.
- Combined best times will be tallied for the overall result for each rider.
- Riders are representing their school and will be allocated 1 point for each timed section, bonus points awarded for top 5 on each track per category
- Overall Champion school will be awarded plus podium in each category male & female.
For those of you, for whom this will be the first Rocky Trail event, we differ from most other events by offering a much more relaxed format. For the Rocky trail Academy:
- Expect less of a winners-only-focused competition, but a positive and inclusive experience for all racers.
- We allow marshall riders to support students on the track
- Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
- Please note – we are Covid Safe compliant, your briefing will be virtual, we’ll be social distancing, and we’ll make this the safest event you’ve ever been at!
About the venue: Sugarbag, Caloundra
- Event Hub is located southern side of the carpark of Sugarbag MTB Park situated on Sugarbag Road Caloundra.
- Parking will be located within the existing carpark and additional space available on the hardstand close to the Event Hub. Please follow the signs and volunteers upon arrive.
- Overflow parking will be situated down near Caloundra State High School. Please use designated footpath to traverse back to Event Hub. You are welcome to drop equipment before heading to overflow parking.
- School buses and trailers are welcome, please email Jo – firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a parking space.
The tracks have been designed to test the students in three skills of Mountain Biking, Pedal, Flow and Technical.
- The Pedal (LAZER) – Riders will start at the bottom of Milky Way and ride up to take the Party Mix loop for approximately 2.8km. Riders will need to maintain speed in corners and pedal hard when they can.
- The Flow (STANS) – Starting at the top of Milky Way riders will travel the undulating track for approximately 500m before taking the Syrup bermed bliss. Riders will need to maintain speed and stay of the brakes as they corner and pump the syrup.
- The Technical (FOX) – Sharing the start with the Flow riders will turn right onto Golden Rough which has rocky and rough corners and small drops. Technically proficient riders will be able to stay balanced and power through the rocky sections. Riders will finish on the apply named Rocky Road.
- Riders will be able to return to the Event Hub via Willy Wonka and Sour Power
Schedule for the day:
8am – Event Hub & registration open
8.45am – Rider call up – safety briefing
9.00am – 1.50pm – Race runs
2.30pm – Presentation
What you can expect:
- A well-marked course
- Caution signs in technical areas
- Gaps between riders
- Large Event Hub
- Professional Medical contractors on site
- Coffee/Ice-cream/Cold drinks/Cakes and sweets offered by Tipple & Tample
- Easy registration
- And a supportive community
Services and facilities:
- No water is available on site, please bring sufficient for the day
- We welcome team/ school marquees for shade, please email Jo at email@example.com to secure your spot and advise your space requirement.
- Portaloos and waste bins will be available for the duration of the event.
- Drinks and snacks are available by Tipple & Tample please bring card or cash and support a local business
- Medical: will be based in the event centre and roaming out on track.
- Merchandise: A selection of Rocky Trail merchandise will be available for sale on the day, payment via cash or card. Grab a momentum of socks, tshirt or hoodies to show your support to our riding community.
Outer Image Collective photographers will be on site to snap that action photo you have been dreaming about. School Managers gather your team before racing to capture the perfect shot for the Year Book and help promote Mountain Biking in your school. Price range from $7 to $24.95
Currently we believe the weather will be good with minimal rain forecasted on the day. If due to unforeseen weather circumstances and we need to cancel on the day we will post a message on our website and Facebook pages; don’t Forget – To keep up to date with Rocky Trail events subscribe to our NEWSLETTER.
Come along and join the team to make the Rocky trail Academy a great success for the Region!
Race Director – Bob Morris 0458 299 558
Event Manager & Media Liaison – Jo Parker 0424 955 332
IMPORTANT EVENT DETAILS YOU MUST KNOW
- If any of the following applies please contact us immediately.
We will transfer or refund your entry but you CAN NOT PARTICIPATE in the event:
- If you live or have been to a published Covid-19 Hot Spot – please check the Hot Spot list here
- If you are showing any signs of the cold or flu
- If you have even the slightest fever (we have facilities on site to test and will send you home immediately if you have fever)
- Find out more information about the QLD border restrictions
- Again, we understand completely that these are difficult and complex times and therefore, if you feel anxious, unsure or not comfortable to participate in this event, please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org and we WILL REFUND your entry, no questions asked.
- There are a few important changes on how we run things on the day:
- We have exclusive use of the trail network
- If you are a non-racer, please check in at the Rego tent as a supporter/visitor.
- Track will be marked on Thursday and open for practise.
- Volunteers are welcome, again come out and bring your bike if you have one.
- RACING & ETIQUETTE: Please adhere to SOCIAL DISTANCING rules!
- Again, when you are waiting up at the starts, please do it in a single file leaving a bike length between each other.
- No hand-shaking permitted at event.
- Please understand that we need to be very strict on this . Non-compliance will result in revoking race access or disqualification.
- CHEERING: Keep 4m distance to the race track!
- If you ‘hackle’ or encourage other riders on their race run please do so at least 4m away from the race track.
- Shouting is a known source of virus transmission and we MUST minimise the risk there. Non-compliance will result in revoking race access or disqualification.
- RESULTS & CEREMONY:
- Race results are LIVE throughout the day.
- Access race results via the website
- Presentation ceremony will kick off approx. 2.30pm
- IMPORTANT: CHECK YOUR RACE RESULTS as soon as you cross the line! The top three podium getters in each age category will receive a podium medal
- Giveaways to every racer: Rocky trail water bottle.
- FACILITIES & SERVICES:
- Water: Please bring your own drinking water – we will not have shared water.
- Toilets: there is a public amenities block on-site and we will service it regularly. Disinfectant and wipes will be provided.
- Medical: will be based in the event centre and roaming out on track.
- PERSONAL HYGIENE:
- No ‘snot rockets’ (blowing your nose without a tissue) in the vicinity of other people.
- Hand washing stations and sanitation stations are available at the venue.
- Please regularly clean your hands with an alcoholic-based hand rub or wash hands with soap and water (especially after going to bathroom, before eating, after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing).
- Riders and visitors are encouraged to wear (cycling) gloves when picking up number plates.
- Unless from the same family, we discourage you from car-pooling to the venue.
- PARTICIPANT TRACKING:
- Every person at the event (including non-racers) need to register.
- Racers will be track with race plates.
- Non-competitors will be issued a Race Access pass.
Rider lists and Results
From now on and all weekend you can find links to Rider List and LIVE Results via the drop-down menu from the Sunshine Coast Academy event page on our website. You can check these now and throughout the weekend via your mobile devices (also from home!) – to reduce touch points we will not have any public display computers on-site.
Enforcement of COVID Safe Plan
If we see blatant breaches of those rules we will ask you to leave the event. You are not only potentially endangering other racers, but also the future of our business. We recommend but won’t enforce that all event participants use the Covid Safe App to assist health authorities with tracking potentially.
Please understand that the team won’t shake hands, hug, high five or fist bump anyone and will be trying keep some distance to all riders during registration, start and finish. There will be a lot socially distance elbow bumps from us, which is almost as good.
Download the full Covid-19 Safety Plan below and here is a summary:
- The usual race rules still apply as always. In summary:
- You need to stay on the race track. No cheating or ‘sneaky pro lines’ where you leave the track and re-enter.
- Don’t litter – please take your rubbish back with you or throw it in the landfill or recycling bins we have near the registration tent.
- Timing will be done with your timing chip – please ensure it is on your bike and that the plastic doesn’t touch any metal parts of your bike (e.g. don’t wrap the number plate around your handlebar).
- If you need to pass a rider out on track please do it in a friendly and safe way. Keep in mind that you have multiple runs per track so if you get held up you can always have another go.
- You agreed to our RACE WAIVER when you registered online – here is a link to the RACE WAIVER again
- Click here for DETAILED RACE RULES
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)