Race the Mountain Bike enduro series that rocks!
Round 3, 20 June 2015 // Ourimbah MTB Park, Wyong
(last updated: Wed, 13 June)
This round is held at Ourimbah MTB Park, the “home track” of the Rocky Trail crew and we’ll be sure to include all their favourites on one of the most iconic Sydney MTB trails, home of the Central Coast MTB Club. With lots of twisty turns and short pinches through dry bushland and sweeping descents through lush creeks with some shady trails to get your breath back, you’ll love what this event has in store for you!
Share your race experience with us – use the official event hashtags:
>> WEATHER UPDATE, 17-06-2015, 6pm
It’s been a pretty wet week on the Central Coast and the forecast for the next 2 days is even worse. This means that at this stage with the current forecast the race on Saturday 20 June is unlikely to go ahead. We are looking at 2 alternative dates: one day later on Sunday or one week later on Saturday. We know that on the following weekend there are a 2 races scheduled, but both of them are on the Sunday. Pushing the race back by one day will only make sense if the weather forecast improves even further for the next 3 days. Either way we will make the final call tomorrow morning, Thursday.
As always safety, looking after the trails and rider’s fun are the most important factors for our race and with the current forecast we can’t guarantee them – we hope you understand.
We want to reward as many riders as possible with prizes across the series. We will be looking after and welcoming our elite racers as we have in previous years and our focus in 2015 is to deliver a series that is less of a winners-only-focused competition, but a positive and inclusive experience for all participants.
What you race for:
- GC podium places will receive a certificate and a prize
- Age category podium places will receive a certificate of achievement
- Series GC podium places will receive a special trophy and certificate
- Series Category podium places will receive a special trophy and certificate
- Online registration closes on Friday, 19 June by midday.
- Age determination day is December 31 of the current racing year, meaning how old you are at the end of the year determines which category you can race.
- If you are racing in a team where riders fall in different age groups the following rules apply:
- If all team riders are over 19 years old then the youngest defines the age group.
- If one team rider is under 19 then the average age will define the age group.
- Each rider needs to agree to our General Race Rules
- Each rider needs to sign our Race Waiver; parents or guardians needs to sign on behalf of riders younger than 18 years (bring signed copy or sign on the day) – download here (PDF).
- Every entrant to a race needs an MTBA racing licence or purchase a $20 day licence with Rocky Trail (available online through sign-up process).
>> Important note – SHIMANO MTB GP Series points
Our new timing system allows us to calculate series points at the click of a button, thanks to our genius partner from RaceResult.com and Martin’s inner nerd.
What we are asking is that you keep your Team Name exactly the same throughout the entire series – it’s the field that collates laps and race times during the race and important for the series points calculation as well. Solo riders who didn’t specify a team (sponsor) name will notice, that we used their First+Last Name for that purpose.
We will be able to have live timing at Awaba MTB Park, so stay tuned via our website results portal. We should have a preliminary rider list online by Thursday evening.
>> What’s included in your race entry
- Free rider photos by OuterImage.com.au
- I am a #rockytrailracer wrist band if you haven’t received one before
- Ticket for your chance to pick a sponsor prize from the Rocky Trail bazaar OR to go into the draw for a major prize
- Entry for spectators and camping is free.
Rocky Trail Entertainment also offers free kids activities on race-day with games, colouring-in competitions and a junior race on a separate kids-specific track (about 100-150m long).
Location: Red Hill Forest Road, off Yarramalong Road, Yarramalong/Wyong – It is a public MTB track and you can ride it in the lead up to the race.
Take the F3 from Sydney, take the Wyong turnoff, turn left and follow the road to the T junction. Turn left towards Yarramalong for a couple of km’s and Red Hill Forest road will be on your left as you come down the first hill.
From the North take the F3 and exit at the Sparks Rd / Toukley off ramp and turn right. After 300 metres at the T junction turn left onto Hue Hue Rd. Follow this to the T junction. Turn right towards Yarramalong. Red Hill Forest Rd is a couple of Km’s on your left as you come down the first hill.
Camping is allowed at this venue.
Camping on-site? Not a problem at all. Food & drinks will be available on race day. We’ll organise basic amenities for the night before (toilets), but please bring your own drinking water. For other accommodation options, check the Central Coast region. The suburbs Wyong, Yarramalong, Lake Haven, The Entrance, are very close. Terrigal is about 30-40 min drive; Avoca Beach, Erina and surrounds are easily reachable too.
There is off-road parking available along side the Red Hill Forest Road; please don’t waste any space, it is quite tight.
Here is a map of the 2015 race track. The track is approx 8.4km with 170m of climbing per lap.
>> Today’s Plan race analysis
Who would like to get connected with a Today’s Plan heart rate monitor and phone at the next Shimano MTB GP so we can see your live data at the event centre? We did it at the Awaba round and it was pretty cool to watch. There are 8 units available for the race.
Food and drinks will be available all day including deliciously invigorating coffee, hot and cold drinks, yummy snacks and hearty pasta meals. We will also ask near-by cheese and olive-oil makers to let us have a good taste of their fares throughout the day. For people camping overnight on Saturday, we recommend bringing breakfast.
Water – please bring your own water.
- Free kids race will be happening around midday and there will be a Kids Club to entertain the munchkins between 10am and 2pm
- Pink First Aid will be looking after us
- Cell Bikes will have their Awaba 2.0 demo fleet for you to test.
- Flow Bikes will offer tech support. While you are there check out their Mondraker range of bikes that they bring into the country.