Race the Mountain Bike enduro series that rocks!
Round 4, 15 August 2015 // Stromlo Fores Park, Canberra ACT
(last updated: Mon, 10 August)
This round is held at Stromlo Forest Park, one of the most popular mountain bike destinations in Australia! For this race we picked a “Stromlo classic with a twist”: you’ll climb to the top of the observatory hill via the traditional singletrack climb and then descend via the Rollercoaster track to Skyline and Luge. Enjoy!
Share your race experience with us – use the official event hashtags:
(incl. live updates during the event and series progress results)
We want to reward as many riders as possible with prizes across the series. We will be looking after and welcoming our elite racers as we have in previous years and our focus in 2015 is to deliver a series that is less of a winners-only-focused competition, but a positive and inclusive experience for all participants.
What you race for:
- GC podium places will receive a certificate and a prize
- Age category podium places will receive a certificate of achievement
- Series GC podium places will receive a special trophy and certificate
- Series Category podium places will receive a special trophy and certificate
- Online registration closes on Friday, 14 August at 6pm.
- Age determination day is December 31 of the current racing year, meaning how old you are at the end of the year determines which category you can race.
- If you are racing in a team where riders fall in different age groups the following rules apply:
- If all team riders are over 19 years old then the youngest defines the age group.
- If one team rider is under 19 then the average age will define the age group.
- Each rider needs to agree to our General Race Rules
- Each rider needs to sign our Race Waiver; parents or guardians needs to sign on behalf of riders younger than 18 years (bring signed copy or sign on the day) – download here (PDF).
- Every entrant to a race needs an MTBA racing licence or purchase a $20 day licence with Rocky Trail (available online through sign-up process).
>> Important note – SHIMANO MTB GP Series points
Our new timing system allows us to calculate series points at the click of a button, thanks to our genius partner from RaceResult.com and Martin’s inner nerd.
What we are asking is that you keep your Team Name exactly the same throughout the entire series – it’s the field that collates laps and race times during the race and important for the series points calculation as well. Solo riders who didn’t specify a team (sponsor) name will notice, that we used their First+Last Name for that purpose.
We will be able to have live timing at Stromlo Forest Park, so stay tuned via our website results portal. We should have a preliminary rider list online by Thursday evening.
>> What’s included in your race entry
- Free rider photos by OuterImage.com.au
- Ticket for your chance to pick a sponsor prize from the Rocky Trail bazaar OR to go into the draw for a major prize
- Entry for spectators and camping is free.
Rocky Trail Entertainment also offers free kids activities on race-day with games, colouring-in competitions and a junior race.
The venue is Stromlo Forest Park and it is off Cotter Road in Canberra (ACT).
You get to Cotter Road via the Tuggeranong Parkway. Once on Cotter road, continue onto John Gorton Drive until you get to Opperman Avenue. Turn left at the traffic lights on Opperman Avenue and continue until you reach Stromlo Forest Park. There is a big round about at the entrance; you will see the car park where the main event centre is located.
More information about Stromlo Forest Park can be found here: www.stromloforestpark.com.au
It is a public MTB track and you can ride it in the lead up to the race. There are toilets and (hot) showers available.
You can camp at the Stromlo car park and event centre but please note that the gates shut at around 7pm.
We welcome the Abode Apartment Hotels in Canberra as accommodation partners for Rocky Trail events in the Capital. For the SHIMANO MTB GP in August 2015 there are some #rockytrailracer offers at both Abode Apartment Hotels in Woden and Tuggeranong.
Based on their close location close to Stromlo, we recommend Abode in Woden or Tuggeranong – they offer stylish, comfortable and convenient, apartment-style accommodation in Canberra. The Rocky Trail crew has stayed at both properties in recent years and we have always been overwhelmed by the friendly service and convenient facilities – each studio or apartment has a kitchenette as well as laundry facilities for that sweaty bike gear after a long ride or race at Stromlo. It’s the ideal location for a Rocky Trail race in Canberra. Guests need to quote the following block code: 1508SHIN
For more details, check out the LOCATION tab on the event website.
There is plenty of parking right at the event centre at Stromlo Forest Park.
Here is a map of the 2015 race track. The track is approx 10km with 200m of climbing per lap.
Up the main climb, which we haven’t used in a few years, Blue Gums, ABC Switchbacks, Citiview, Echidna Gap, the new Rollercoaster, Skyline, Luge and home. The Rollercoaster has seen a lot of work lately and is an awesome section. With a bit of luck we get a few drops of rain on it on Wednesday and then more sunshine , which is the current weekend forecast.
We’ve just hosted an #enduro race at Stromlo Forest Park on 8+9 August and the mornings were crips and cold and when the sun came out riders reported perfect racing conditions.
Food and drinks will be available all day including deliciously invigorating coffee, hot and cold drinks, yummy snacks and hearty pasta meals. We will also ask near-by cheese and olive-oil makers to let us have a good taste of their fares throughout the day. For people camping overnight on Saturday, we recommend bringing breakfast.
Water – there are tabs with drinking water at Stromlo Forest Park – right at the event centre too.
- Free kids race will be happening around midday and there will be a Kids Club to entertain the munchkins between 10am and 2pm
- Pink First Aid will be looking after us
- The SHIMANO crew will be there, racing with us
- Flow Bikes will offer tech support. While you are there check out their Mondraker range of bikes that they bring into the country.