Welcome to the Shimano GP at Awaba MTB Park!
Rocky Trail Entertainment bring back classic lap racing with a refreshed Race Format for one of our first event brands, the Shimano Grand Prix. We proudly look back at a 12-year history and are ready to create new memories for and with our Rocky Trail Racers.
Here’s the new Shimano GP for 2023:
VIRTUAL RIDER BRIEFING
RIDER BRIEFING CONTENT IN WRITING
This is your Rider Briefing for the event – check out the Virtual Rider Briefing from our Events Team and scroll down for important race-specific info. You will find links to all the important details and if you have any questions, always email us at email@example.com (or click on the messaging button on your screen) and always happy to chat at rego too!
Important race info
About the venue
Awaba MTB Park, Mount Faulk Road, Cooranbong NSW, Australia
You can camp at the Awaba car park and event centre on the Friday night.
The Event Hub will be located in the main car park.
Lap Distance is approximately 8.8km, based on the Red Loop at Awaba.
Race Classifications – The Laps
Awaba Official Lap Targets – confirmed 1 June at 8pm
- Hero – Male 8 laps, Female 7 laps.
- Adventure – Male and Female 5 laps
- Challenge – Male and Female 3 laps.
Please note, if you don’t complete your laps, you are still in the results. You will be ranked among fellow racers with the same lap number as you (the ranking will then still be determined by your finishing time).
Race Guide & Schedule
- Mass start at 9am.
- Solo riders complete your laps (time keeps counting if you take a rest in between); team riders – you’re doing a relay race, only one racer out on course, then tag.
- The last lap possible must be started before the 4 Hour cut-off time. If you squeeze out before the cuto-off or are out on track at the 4H-mark, the lap still scounts.
- eBikes must be unmodified and comply with current Australian standards. Read more about our eBike policy here…
- Race etiquette – Important: rude behaviour out on track is not acceptable. Please be kind to each other. We are all here to have fun. Chat to our Event Managers if you have any questions.
- We love to help and chat! Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
- Don’t litter – please take your rubbish back with you or throw it in the bins/bags near the registration tent.
- Timing will be done with your timing chip – please ensure it is on your bike/attached to your chest and in the MTB that the plastic doesn’t touch any metal parts of your bike (e.g. don’t wrap the number plate around your handlebar).
- You agreed to our RACE WAIVER when you registered online – here is a link to the RACE WAIVER again
- Click here for DETAILED RACE RULES
Friday – The track is marked from mid-afternoon on the Friday and you can practice on it but we won’t have any services (marshals or first aid).
Saturday – Registration from 7:30, Rider Call-Up at 8:45am for Race Start 9:00am.
- Course marking is a combination of our NEW Orange laminated A4 signs and Shimano (plus some Maxxis) bunting tape.
- Entering and exiting from single track into fire road back into single track will be marked with a combination of signs, bunting streamers.
- Riders are requested to study the map online and look ahead for signage.
- Practice laps are welcome prior to race start. The course will be fully marked by mid afternoon the day prior to racing.
- Camping allowed Friday night – see Rocky Trail crew before setting up in the car park
- Plenty of space for team & competitor marquees at race transition – see event staff on arrival
- Registration Tent with live timing, merch and race info
- Redbull Tent and giveaways for racers incl. merch sponsored by Forestry Corporation NSW (as long as stocks last)
- Neutral bike support in case of a mechanical will be provided by FIZO Cycling (Saturday)
- Music and live race updates
- Professional First Aid
Catering: We’ll have the crew from “Woody’s Cafe” serving up a storm from 8am with food & drinks – here’s the menu:
- With the local skills clinic Momentum Is Your Friend we are offering 2x 2H Kids Fast Track Sessions while we race. Suitable for 6 years and up until 16 years event. $40 per person. Click for all infos here. Limited spots available.
- Outright Male and Female Race winners (Hero, Adventure, Challenge) – get “Classification Plates” (see below).
- How to Claim: Head to the rego tent for a finisher wall photo/selfie
- Category FIRST place getters (age groups across Hero, Adventure Challenge) – get a Finisher Prize from the Rocky Trail Bazaar
- How to Claim: At the the rego tent to pick your prize and a finisher wall photo/selfie
- Finish line photo for all – a photo point is set up directly at the finish line. Download those photos after the race (link sent via email after the race). Race track photos included in the entry as per usual.
- All finishers – take a selfie in front of the finisher wall near the rego tent, when you’re ready.
What you race for:
At every round there are four individual classification awards: your own re-usable and colour-coded “Classification Number Plate” (fitted with a timing chip already). Enter that race number at your next online registrations with Rocky Trail to race with it!
- Yellow Plate – Outright Solo Male and Female Hero “Hero Classification”
- Green Plate – Outright Solo Male and Female winners in “Adventure Classification”
- White Plate – Outright Solo Male and Female winners in “Challenge Classification”
- TBC at Awaba: Polka Dot Plate – “Hill Climb Classification” awarded to fastest Male and Female on the KOM / QOM segment.
- Juniors: Fastest Lap Times Male and Female “Loan Market Junior Classification” awarded race entry for future event.
- Free photos of you on track by professional crew of photographers
- Free giveaways
- Random prize draw among entire field, announced via results list online
- Prize for 1st place getters in each category, incl. $1,400 worth of entry vouchers to the AMB100 Marathon in Canberra, supported by:
Rocky Trail Pace Points
This event is part of Rocky Trail’s cross-country racing line-up of events and in 2023 we are implementing our “Pace Points System”. Competitors will be able to accumulate points across all Rocky Trail cross-country events, including our marathon and ultra-endurance events. A pace-based algorithm developed by Rocky Trail will produce an innovative ranking output and you may just score big with Pace Points! You’ll be able not only to reach your goals but to earn Rocky Trail Rewards too!
You are responsible to cover yourself for the race.
Flip Insurance is a new Event Partner for Fox Superflow® and Rocky Trail cross-country events; you can find some more information here.
Beautiful winter weather expected, bit cloudy with temperatures in the low 20’s.
Rocky Trailblazer Awards
This race qualifies competitors to enter the Rocky Trailblazer Awards. Find out more!
Rocky Trail Merchandise
- Rocky Trail Jerseys designed by Dharco ($75-$85)
- New in: Rocky Trail X Sendy Hoodies $65 and T-shirts $35
- Socks $15
- Mudguards $20
- Rocky Trail hats made from recycled materials “eco-choice” – $30
- Available from the Rocky Trail rego desk all weekend!
We can wait to see you smashing it! – Remember, your race photos are included in your entry, be sure to download them after the race and share your stories using:
Now, get ready!
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)