Welcome to the Shimano GP at Stromlo Forest Park in Canberra!
Rocky Trail Entertainment bring back classic lap racing with a refreshed Race Format for one of our first event brands, the Shimano Grand Prix. We proudly look back at a 12-year history and are ready to create new memories for and with our Rocky Trail Racers.
Here’s the new Shimano GP – and its Season Opener for 2023:
VIRTUAL RIDER BRIEFING
RIDER BRIEFING CONTENT IN WRITING
This is your Rider Briefing for the event – check out the Virtual Rider Briefing from our Events Team and scroll down for important race-specific info. You will find links to all the important details and if you have any questions, always email us at firstname.lastname@example.org (or click on the messaging button on your screen) and always happy to chat at rego too!
Important race info
About the venue
Stromlo Forest Park, Dave McInnes Rd, Stromlo ACT 2611
The Event Hub will be located on the North corner above the car park, near the old trials and jump park area/downhill finish. The race start and finish will be situated along the Pipeline Track fire road. Best parking is in the back corner of the first carpark. Look for the Rocky Trail flags and tents.
Note – Camping Friday night has been approved for event participants only. No camping allowed Saturday night.
Lap Distance is approximately 9.8km. A classic Stromlo loop that includes some really fun tracks and avoids any of the big climbs with only approximately 170m of climbing and descending over the 9.8km length. There are 4 sections of fire road and the 100m long finish straight will allow plenty of feeding or passing opportunities. Finish straight will include be the feed/tech zone where riders can grab a bottle or GU, or receive mechanical support. Just after the finish mat a lane will be created that will be the transition lane for pairs riders.
Tracks include: “Wattle Happen”, “Blackberry Climb”, “Slant Six”, “Willo Link”, Double Disillusion”, “Crim Track”, “After Party”, “Dingo”, “White Gums”, “Ringtail”, “Breakout”, “Muckraker”, “Old Duffy Descent”.
Race Classifications – The Laps
Race 1 Official Lap Targets:
- Hero – Male 8 laps, Female 6 laps.
- Adventure – Male 5 laps and Female 4 laps
- Challenge – Male and Female 2 laps.
Race Guide & Schedule
Friday – The track is marked and you can practice on it but we wont have any services (marshals or first aid). Please respect any trail closures as there is an Academy Event in progress – trail are clear from 3pm.
Saturday – Registration from 7:30, Rider Call-Up at 8:45am for Race Start 9:00am.
- Course marking is a combination of our NEW Orange laminated A4 signs and Shimano bunting tape.
- Entering and exiting from single track into fire road back into single track will be marked with a combination of signs, bunting streamers and flour (weather permitting).
- Riders are requested to study the map online and look ahead for signage.
- Practice laps are welcome prior to race start. The course will be fully marked by 4pm the day prior to racing.
- Handlebar cafe will be open from 8am serving hot food, snacks and drinks. Card payments only.
- Plenty of space for team & competitor marquees at race transition – see event staff on arrival
- Registration Tent with live timing, merch and race info
- CROFTO prizes, Mountain bike equipment displays and demonstrations – The crew from Crofto Mountain Bike Clothing will have a large display of protection gear and the latest cool clothing. Stop and say hi to Dave!
- Neutral bike support in case of a mechanical will be provided by FIZO Cycling (Saturday)
- Music and live race updates
- Professional First Aid
- Photos incl. in race entry
- Short walk across the carpark to the Toilets and showers under the Pavilion building near the crit track.
Rocky Trail Entertainment welcomes a new partner to our tribe: CROFTO is one of this year’s main prize sponsors Shimano GP races and offers a reward discount code to all Rocky Trail Racers! The Shimano GP Season Opener at Stromlo is co-sponsored by Crofto, offering a $4,000 prize pool of Australian Mountain Biking clothing and…
You are responsible to cover yourself for the race.
Flip Insurance is a new Event Partner for Fox Superflow® and Rocky Trail cross-country events; you can find some more information here.
Nice early autumn weather expected. with temperatures in the high 20’s.
We are still looking for volunteers for this weekend – race one day, help out on the other? Parents/supporters welcome too! We offer a free entry to you or for a friend/child to a future Shimano GP or Fox Superflow® event in return for every event day you help out at. Click here to fill out an online form and our team will be in touch! Cheers!
Rocky Trail Pace Points
This event is part of Rocky Trail’s cross-country racing line-up of events and in 2023 we are implementing our “Pace Points System”. Competitors will be able to accumulate points across all Rocky Trail cross-country events, including our marathon and ultra-endurance events. A pace-based algorithm developed by Rocky Trail will produce an innovative ranking output and you may just score big with Pace Points! You’ll be able not only to reach your goals but to earn Rocky Trail Rewards too!
We can wait to see you smashing it! – Remember, your race photos are included in your entry, be sure to download them after the race and share your stories using:
General race regulations
- Race etiquette – Important: rude behaviour out on track is not acceptable. Please be kind to each other. We are all here to have fun. Chat to our Event Managers if you have any questions.
- We love to help and chat! Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
- Don’t litter – please take your rubbish back with you or throw it in the bins/bags near the registration tent.
- Timing will be done with your timing chip – please ensure it is on your bike/attached to your chest and in the MTB that the plastic doesn’t touch any metal parts of your bike (e.g. don’t wrap the number plate around your handlebar).
- You agreed to our RACE WAIVER when you registered online – here is a link to the RACE WAIVER again
- eBikes must be unmodified and comply with current Australian standards. Read more about our eBike policy here…
- Click here for DETAILED RACE RULES
Rocky Trail Merchandise
- Rocky Trail Jerseys designed by Dharco ($75-$85)
- New in: Rocky Trail X Sendy Hoodies $65 and T-shirts $35
- Socks $15
- Mudguards $20
- Rocky Trail hats made from recycled materials “eco-choice” – $30
- Available from the Rocky Trail rego desk all weekend!
Now, get ready!
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)