Welcome to the Shimano MTB Grand Prix 4-hour cross-country event at Awaba!
We are thrilled to have you on board for this race on a track that is one of the absolute highlights in the series! The whole Rocky Trail team is ready to ROCK Awaba – we will premiere a brand-new Rocky Trail Radio start playlist by our resident “Entertainment Manager” Mista DJ Nige, powered by earShots!
At Awaba MTB Park singletrack fun and exciting racing action is guaranteed for everyone! We are teaming up with one of the country’s best and most active mountain bike clubs – the Hunter Mountain Bike Association. If you haven’t raced a Shimano MTB GP and you are about to have you’re first #rockytrailracer experience… it won’t be your last, we’re sure!
Make this a smashfest, show off your sponsor logos, re-kindle your love for XC racing or catch the racing bug with us!
Scroll down for all the info and the BRAND-NEW Trailforks race track mapping tool – loads of stats to drool over!
We can’t wait to see you smashing it! Remember, your race photos are included in your entry. Be sure to download them after the race and share your stories using:
with thanks to support locally from:
2 Clinics at Awaba during the race – still spots left!
ABOUT the venue
M1 exit Freemans Drive. Turn into Mt Faulk Road off Freemans Drive. Turn right at Mount Faulk Rd and continue for 2.4 km. From there you can see the MTB Park signs.
The Awaba race circuit will take you through many different terrains as we will be using the biggest loop in the park. You’ll start in the rocky bushland and traverse into lush and moist rainforest vegetation that’s so unique to this track! Big berms, big descents, big smiles guaranteed! If you are bringing the little shredders along that there are awesome kids and junior trails at Awaba that they will enjoy.
The trails are managed by the Forestry Corporation and built and maintained by the Hunter MTB Association. Camping is allowed at this venue.
Race tracks used
New Trailforks feature – loads of stats!
Tracks used are: Red Loop with Wild Polly integration (to bypass some wet areas)Shimano MTB GP – Awaba 2022 on Trailforks.com
Good news: we expect dry trail conditions. The Fox Superflow last weekend ran on trails that were getting better and better the more wheels we had on them. As we don’t expect any rain this week leading into the race we forecast near perfect trails.
There will be 3-5 short sections that probably won’t fully dry until summer but wheels will push out the moisture throughout the week or on the first few laps of the race.
Pro tip: bring clear glasses! Some areas are really dark because there is so much tree cover right now after all those wet months.
Solo racers and pairs teams race for 4 hours and receive a placing across age categories for adults and junior shredders and in the General Classification (GC).
- 9am mass start for all riders
- Complete as many laps as you can in 4 hours.
- You may start your last lap by 12:59pm (the 3:59 hour mark) and that lap still counts.
- Solos – you keep going round and round.
- Teams – this is a pairs realy, only one of you may be out on the race track at any time. There are now strict rules on how many laps each pairs racer must complete. As soon as the team records one lap you’re in the results.
As with all disciplines of riding, GP/XC has changed, and we are aligning with those changes. The Olympics saw much shorter, punchier short course and marathon has trended toward faster courses.
Schedule – for all participants
All day The track is marked and you can practice on it but we won’t have any services (marshals, first aid) in place.
7:30-8:45 am Registration open to pick up your number plate
8.45 am Rider call up, be race ready.
The official rider briefing usually held before the race start will be available online before the race.
9 am Race start
9-11 am Momentum Is Your Friend Beginner Kids Clinic
11:30am – 1:30pm Momentum Is Your Friend Intermediate Kids Clinic
1.00 pm Race finish – you finish the lap you are on but can’t start a new one.
approx. 1.45pm Last Rider and Sweeper across the line and event finishes.
2.00 pm Ceremony
Social rides (free) from the event centre from about 2:30pm. – RSVP here
Race plates with passive timing chips, automatic race timing and LIVE results online all day.
Event Facilities & Services:
- Event centre: is located on Jenkins Road.
- Food/Drinks: Our Daily Espresso caterer will have you covered
- Tech Support: Fizo Cycling will be on-site to help with mechanical issues.
- Parking: please follow instructions of staff, if required.
- Toilets: Public toilets
- Camping: is allowed
- Water: Please bring your own supplies
- MEDICAL: On-site in the event centre and roaming out on track. The Race Director mobile number is available on your race plate for any issues out on track.
- TEAM TENTS – Are welcome – please email email@example.com to secure your spot in the Event Hub – plenty of space available!
Rider List and Results
All weekend you can find links to Rider List and LIVE Results via the drop-down menu from the event page on our website! Before the race day the page will display the RIDER LIST and from the race start onwards it will switch to LIVE then on Sunday after the race to final results. You can check these now and throughout the weekend via your mobile devices – to reduce touch points we will not have any public display computers on-site.
Our Race Director swears by Stryke! These guns got him through many stage races… keepin ghis two guns and lower back happpy. Now Stryke Recovery is giving away one of their Percussion Massage Guns online – enter now via this link!
Go see these guys at their tent and their might just be a giveaway among all #rockytrailracers too!
What you’re racing for
Each race offers official winners race plates, which is a set of special additional classifications:
- KOM/QOM with a polka dot race plate,
- Junior Sprint Winner (male/female U18 fastest lap time) in white,
- Best Sprinter for the fastest adult lap time (male/female) in green and a
- Solo GC Winner plate in yellow for male and female outright solo winners.
Racing the series
We will deliver the most expansive 4-Hour XC Series with events in NSW, ACT, QLD and VIC. Here is the the way we will calculate points:
- You will get points against your name in the category you are racing in. Meaning that if you swap teams, which is likely to happen with such a big line up of events, you will not loose your hard earned points but keep accumulating them.
- Each event offers a stand-alone race and race winners in the age categories are awarded with trophy number plates and accolade plaques, which can be collected and displayed on the number plates.
- Each race also offers the opportunity to accumulate points to go into the overall series ranking and the new points classification across all Rocky Trail events, which will form the “league of extraordinary #rockytrailracers”.
- Each race result and the relevant points count towards a rider’s series rankings.
- The series will be split into: NSW/ACT, Queensland, Victoria and additionally we will crown the overall Australian Shimano MTB GP Champions.
- Riders need to complete at least 2 races in one category to be eligible for an individual series podium ranking. Every race counts.
You don’t need to be a member of any cycling association to race with Rocky Trail. Some offer great insurance packages which are worthwhile checking out and you are in charge of your own health insurance when racing with us.
Plan your Visit
Camping: There are permanent toilets at Awaba MTB Park and you can camp on-site for free as it is a NSW State Forest.
Accommodation: The closest tourism destinations are Newcastle, as well as the Lake Macquarie, Hunter Valley and Central Coast Regions.
- Newcastle Visitor Information
- Lake Macquarie Visitor Information
- Hunter Valley Visitor Information
- Central Coast Visitor Information
Rocky Trail Merchandise:
Brand-new RTxDharco Jersey Range
- Dharco: Short sleeve $75, long sleeve $85
- Socks $15
- Mudguards $20
- NEW Rocky Trail hats made from recycled materials “eco-choice” – $30
- Available from the Rocky Trail rego desk all weekend!
Outer Image Collective photographers will be on site to snap that action photo you have been dreaming about.
Rocky Trail is always looking for crew to support the riders. If you can lend a hand either Saturday or Sunday complete our online form https://rockytrailentertainment.com/home/volunteering/ or contact Jo at firstname.lastname@example.org to be part of the team. Riders luv seeing supporters at our events.
Event updates during the race / weekend:
We always announce any major updates including any new COVID restriction announcements mainly via the FB event page, as well as our news blog and email newsletters. Please feel comfortable to register knowing we will refund or transfer your entry if QLD tips upside down like the other states.
COVID-specific Event Guidelines
How are we running this event and how do we keep you safe?
Rocky Trail Covid-19 safety guidelines:
- BEFORE THE RACE: If any of the following applies please contact us immediately.
We will transfer or refund your entry but you CAN NOT PARTICIPATE in the event:
- If you are showing any signs of the cold or flu.
- If you have a fever.
- ON RACE DAY: There are a few important changes on how we run things on the day:
- ACCESS: Race tracks are closed to the general public.
- RACE PLATE: You can pick up your race plate with the timing chip from the rego and info point – check the schedule for opening times.
- This way we avoid queues near the registration area.
- RACING & ETIQUETTE: Please adhere to SOCIAL DISTANCING rules!
- If you queue up at a start line please leave a bike length between each other.
- Overall we don’t expect much queuing as the field will spread quickly.
- When you finish your race please give each other as much space as possible.
- RESULTS & CEREMONY:
- Race results are LIVE throughout the day.
- Access race results via the website.
- Giveaways for every racer.
Now, get ready!
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)