Welcome to the Shimano MTB Grand Prix 4-hour cross-country event at the GP Series start 2022 at Bayview!
Make this a smashfest, show off your sponsor logos, re-kindle your love for XC racing or catch the racing bug with us!
We are thrilled to have you on board for the first GP racing in QLD for 2022. For the first time in Rocky Trail history we bring the best of Bayview trails alive with the popular Shimano GP series. The series will combine three races in 6 weeks – short and sharp and easy to train for! The QLD Rocky Trail crew is ready to ROCK Bayview – we will premiere a brand-new Rocky Trail Radio start playlist by our resident “Entertainment Manager” Mista DJ Nige, powered by earShots!
Bayview tracks are well known by many with over 10 years of the Bayview Blast. On offer a good combination of single track and fire roads allowing a lot of passing options. Riders get to experience the Sorceress over and over again, one of the local favourites! We are teaming up with one of the country’s best and most active mountain bike clubs – the RATS Cycling club will be on site serving the best BBQ delights, perfect for race day. If you haven’t raced a Shimano MTB GP and you are about to have your first #rockytrailracer experience… it won’t be your last!
We can’t wait to see you smashing it! Remember, your race photos are included in your entry. Be sure to download them after the race and share your stories using:
with thanks to support locally from:
ABOUT the venue
Bayview Conservation Park (click for Google maps link). Access and parking is from the German Park Road roundabout. Be careful when using google, don’t enter via Days Road.
Race tracks used
New Trailforks feature – loads of stats!
Tracks used are:2022 Bayview GP on Trailforks.com
- Race will start in the car park of the Bayview Mountain bike park before climbing “Wolf Peach”.
- Cross onto “Centipede” and “VegieMite” before enjoying the descent onto “Flutter”. Passing opportunity on “Bone Rattler” before the run into “Sock Puppet East”.
- Another passing opportunity on “Snake Road” leads to the “Sock Puppet West” for some sweet single track. Course then climbs the KOM section “Hippy Doom” that summits via “Puck Road” and “The Big Kransky”.
- Enjoy the “Sorceress” descent into the event hub and transition. Lap is 10.4km long and the loop has a total 220m climbing and descending.
Sunshine is booked – a chilly start with some fog – 12C TO 18C. Perfect time to grab a new design Rocky Trail Hoodie.
Solo racers and pairs teams race for 4 hours and receive a placing across age categories for adults and junior shredders and in the General Classification (GC).
- 9am mass start for all riders
- Complete as many laps as you can in 4 hours.
- You may start your last lap by 12:59pm (the 3:59 hour mark) and that lap still counts.
- Solos – you keep going round and round.
- Teams – this is a pairs realy, only one of you may be out on the race track at any time. There are now strict rules on how many laps each pairs racer must complete. As soon as the team records one lap you’re in the results.
As with all disciplines of riding, GP/XC has changed, and we are aligning with those changes. The Olympics saw much shorter, punchier short course and marathon has trended toward faster courses.
Schedule – for all participants
Tracking marking underway and you can practice on it but we won’t have any services (marshals, first aid) in place.
7:30-8:45 am Registration open to pick up your number plate
8.45 am Rider call up, be race ready.
9 am Race start
1.00 pm Race finish – you finish the lap you are on but can’t start a new one.
approx. 1.45pm Last Rider and Sweeper across the line and event finishes.
2.00 pm Ceremony
Race plates with passive timing chips, automatic race timing and LIVE results online all day.
Event Facilities & Services:
- Event centre: Large grassy parkland, perfect for the family to watch the action.
- Coffee: Tarryn from Jungle Beach will have your favourite brew waiting- https://www.facebook.com/jungle.bean.1
- Food: RATS Cycling club will be operating a fundraiser BBQ. Support those who support us.
- Tech Support: We welcome Jarred from RED Jar Cycles – our onsite support, store activation and racing – https://www.facebook.com/RedJarCycles.
- Parking: Ample bitumen parking on site – access via German Park Road.
- Toilets: Onsite.
- Water: minimal water on site – bring sufficient personal supplies.
- MEDICAL: On-site in the event centre and roaming out on track. The Race Director mobile number is available on your race plate for any issues out on track.
- TEAM TENTS – Are welcome – please email firstname.lastname@example.org to secure your spot in the Event Hub – plenty of space available!
Rider List and Results
All weekend you can find links to Rider List and LIVE Results via the drop-down menu from the event page on our website! Before the race day the page will display the RIDER LIST and from the race start onwards it will switch to LIVE then on Sunday after the race to final results. You can check these now and throughout the weekend via your mobile devices – to reduce touch points we will not have any public display computers on-site.
What you’re racing for
Each race offers official winners race plates, which is a set of special additional classifications:
- KOM/QOM with a polka dot race plate,
- Junior Sprint Winner (male/female U18 fastest lap time) in white,
- Best Sprinter for the fastest adult lap time (male/female) in green and a
- Solo GC Winner plate in yellow for male and female outright solo winners.
Racing the series
We will deliver the most expansive 4-Hour XC Series with events in NSW, ACT, QLD and VIC. Here is the the way we will calculate points:
- You will get points against your name in the category you are racing in. Meaning that if you swap teams, which is likely to happen with such a big line up of events, you will not lose your hard earned points but keep accumulating them.
- Each event offers a stand-alone race and race winners in the age categories are awarded with trophy number plates and accolade plaques, which can be collected and displayed on the number plates.
- Each race also offers the opportunity to accumulate points to go into the overall series ranking and the new points classification across all Rocky Trail events, which will form the “league of extraordinary #rockytrailracers.”
- Each race result and the relevant points count towards a rider’s series rankings.
- The series will be split into: NSW/ACT, Queensland, Victoria and additionally we will crown the overall Australian Shimano MTB GP Champions.
- Riders need to complete at least 2 races in one category to be eligible for an individual series podium ranking. Every race counts.
You don’t need to be a member of any cycling association to race with Rocky Trail. Some offer great insurance packages which are worthwhile checking out and you are in charge of your own health insurance when racing with us.
Rocky Trail Merchandise:
- Rocky Trail Jerseys designed by Dharco ($75-$85)
- New in: Rocky Trail X Sendy Hoodies $65 and T-shirts $35
- Socks $15
- Mudguards $20
- Rocky Trail hats made from recycled materials “eco-choice” – $30
- Available from the Rocky Trail rego desk all weekend!
Rocky Trail X Dharco Jerseys
Rocky Trail X Sendy Hoodies & T-shirts
Outer Image Collective photographers will be on site to snap that action photo you have been dreaming about.
Rocky Trail is always looking for crew to support the riders. If you can lend a hand either Saturday or Sunday complete our online form https://rockytrailentertainment.com/home/volunteering/ or contact Jo at email@example.com to be part of the team. Riders luv seeing supporters at our events.
Event updates during the race / weekend:
We always announce any major updates including any new COVID restriction announcements mainly via the FB event page, as well as our news blog and email newsletters. Please feel comfortable to register knowing we will refund or transfer your entry if QLD tips upside down like the other states.
COVID-specific Event Guidelines
Rocky Trail Entertainment has all required Covid Safety plans and requirements in place.
We ask that if If you are showing any signs of the cold or flu or have a fever, that you please NOT come to the race. Please contact us immediately and we will transfer or refund your entry.
Now, get ready!
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)