It’s a dark and stormy night in the Gippsland, but we hear the creatures calling. Haunted Hills is coming alive this Halloween Weekend! On the slab: Round 2 of the VIC Shimano GP Series. Who is game, who is scared? We shall wait in anticipation!
Make this a smashfest, show off your sponsor logos, re-kindle your love for XC racing or catch the racing bug with us!
It has been many years in the planning to bring a Rocky Trail race to Haunted Hills. With stage 1 completed and stage 2 under construction, we kick off Round 2 of the Gippsland XC Series with the support of the Gippsland MTB club and Latrobe City Council.
With the recent rains we have made some last minute changes to the course design to achieve the best riding experience on the day. Trailscape and the local Gippsland club have been committed to bring the first edition of serious racing to the trails and welcome all the riders.
We can’t wait to see you smashing it! Remember, your race photos are included in your entry. Be sure to download them after the race and share your stories using:
ABOUT the venue
Haunted Hills Mountain Bike Park – 354 Haunted Hills Road Hernes Oak.
That’s an ominous name, you are thinking. You are right. The area is steeped in spooky stories of strange noises, ghost sightings, inexplicable accidents, murder and spooked cows.
PARKING – Event parking will be located offsite with a shuttle service operating in the morning and at the end of competition. A designated drop zone will operate from the Event Hub. We recommend carpooling if possible. Schools with buses will be asked to unload and park at the Bryants Park Hill climb centre.
We have two offsite parking areas –
- PRIMARY SITE – Bryants Park Hill Climb venue located along Bill Schultz drive. A shuttle bus will be operating to and from this site only.
- SECONDARY SITE – A limited 4wd parking area is available at the top of the hill above the cemetery entrance. Please note this area is wet and care must be taken. Walking access to the event hub is available follow the yellow signs.
- Race start will commence on Vertebrae, an open fire road for approx 400mtr before turning right onto conveyor 150 descending down into the event hub and transition area.
- Riders proceed into conveyor 350 designated climbing trail into last rights which has plenty of passing opportunities along the cemetery fence line. Make sure you say hello to the locals.
- At the top of the hill turn right into Turbine descend approx 1km before busting out onto dredger a flat swampy area that is being revamped currently, a spooky surprise.
- Electric nightmare will have you wondering why a 55mtr climb over 1.4km – perfect spot for the KOM!
- Drop into MAD cow then flick across into Swayze for a flowy fun descent hook left into Bogeyman up the vertebrae back to the conveyor 150 into the event cauldron.
- Total 6.3km vert 130m
The Haunted Hills valley has received less rain then all other regions in the area. Saturday we are expecting minimal showers of rain. Tracks are a sandy base with 90% of the trails mint. High of 15c low 8c.
Solo racers and pairs teams race for 4 hours and receive a placing across age categories for adults and junior shredders and in the General Classification (GC).
- 9am mass start for all riders
- Complete as many laps as you can in 4 hours.
- You may start your last lap by 12:59pm (the 3:59 hour mark) and that lap still counts.
- Solos – you keep going round and round.
- Teams – this is a pairs relay. Only one of you may be out on the race track at any time. There are now strict rules on how many laps each pairs racer must complete. As soon as the team records one lap you’re in the results.
Schedule – for all participants
Tracks are closed until Academy event is finished at 2pm.
7:30-8:45 am Registration open to pick up your number plate.
8.45 am Rider call up, be race ready.
9 am Race start
1.00 pm Race finish – you finish the lap you are on but can’t start a new one.
approx. 1.45pm Last Rider and Sweeper across the line and event finishes.
2.00 pm Ceremony
Race plates with passive timing chips, automatic race timing and LIVE results online all day.
Event Facilities & Services:
- Event centre: large landscaped area adjacent to the drop off zone.
- FOOD – Wheelie Good Pizzas will be operating from 8am offering breakfast and lunch as well as cold drinks and coffee throughout the day. Bring cash or card. Support the businesses who support our events => Download the menu here
- COFFEE – Ready and waiting for you when you arrive.
- WATER – Bubblers are available on site.
- TOILETS – 2 permanent Unisex toilets will be available on site.
- MEDICAL – Will be based in the event centre and roaming out on track.
- SCHOOL & TEAM MARQUEES – are welcome to be set up, we have plenty of room on site. Please email email@example.com or text 0424955332 to confirm your spot.
Rider List and Results
All weekend you can find links to Rider List and LIVE Results via the drop-down menu from the event page on our website! Before the race day the page will display the RIDER LIST and from the race start onwards it will switch to LIVE then on Sunday after the race to final results. You can check these now and throughout the weekend via your mobile devices – to reduce touch points we will not have any public display computers on-site.
What else is on?
- Two epic days of racing and riding at Haunted Hills! Ther is lots on offer for an awesome day out!
- Pumpkin Head Pump Track Shootout
- Spooky night ride by GIPPSMTB crew – $20 per rider and proceeds go to the club, sign up here or on the day.
- Goodland Brewery – grab a cold ale!
- Wheelie good pizza – grab a bit to enjoy you cold beverage
- Monster Truck – luv playing in the dirt check out the wheels!
- Halloween playlist by our in house DJ – listen now on Rocky Trail Radio
GIPPSLAND CROSS-COUNTRY MTB SERIES
This event is part of a 3-Race Series in Gippsland in 2022! Rocky Trail have put together three epic cross country mountain bike events over three weekends across Central Gippsland in October and November this year. Race all events and win a pair of Rocky Trail Racing Socks! Find out more!
GP: What you’re racing for
Each race offers official winners race plates, which is a set of special additional classifications:
- KOM/QOM with a polka dot race plate,
- Junior Sprint Winner (male/female U18 fastest lap time) in white,
- Best Sprinter for the fastest adult lap time (male/female) in green and a
- Solo GC Winner plate in yellow for male and female outright solo winners.
Racing the series
We will deliver the most expansive 4-Hour XC Series with events in NSW, ACT, QLD and VIC. Here is the the way we will calculate points:
- You will get points against your name in the category you are racing in. Meaning that if you swap teams, which is likely to happen with such a big line up of events, you will not lose your hard earned points but keep accumulating them.
- Each event offers a stand-alone race and race winners in the age categories are awarded with trophy number plates and accolade plaques, which can be collected and displayed on the number plates.
- Each race also offers the opportunity to accumulate points to go into the overall series ranking and the new points classification across all Rocky Trail events, which will form the “league of extraordinary #rockytrailracers.”
- Each race result and the relevant points count towards a rider’s series rankings.
- The series will be split into: NSW/ACT, Queensland, Victoria and additionally we will crown the overall Australian Shimano MTB GP Champions.
- Riders need to complete at least 2 races in one category to be eligible for an individual series podium ranking. Every race counts.
You don’t need to be a member of any cycling association to race with Rocky Trail. Some offer great insurance packages which are worthwhile checking out and you are in charge of your own health insurance when racing with us.
Rocky Trail Merchandise:
- Rocky Trail Jerseys designed by Dharco ($75-$85)
- New in: Rocky Trail X Sendy Hoodies $65 and T-shirts $35
- Socks $15
- Mudguards $20
- Rocky Trail hats made from recycled materials “eco-choice” – $30
- Available from the Rocky Trail rego desk all weekend!
Rocky Trail X Dharco Jerseys
Rocky Trail X Sendy Hoodies & T-shirts
Outer Image Collective photographers will be on site to snap that action photo you have been dreaming about.
Rocky Trail is always looking for crew to support the riders. If you can lend a hand, complete our online form https://rockytrailentertainment.com/home/volunteering/ or contact Jo at firstname.lastname@example.org to be part of the team. Riders luv seeing supporters at our events.
Event updates during the race / weekend:
We always announce any major updates including any new COVID restriction announcements mainly via the FB event page, as well as our news blog and email newsletters.
COVID-specific Event Guidelines
Rocky Trail Entertainment has all required Covid Safety plans and requirements in place.
We ask that if If you are showing any signs of the cold or flu or have a fever, that you please NOT come to the race. Please contact us immediately and we will transfer or refund your entry.
Now, get ready!
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)