Welcome to the Shimano MTB Grand Prix at Stromlo Forest Park in Canberra! Make this the perfect MTB XC racing getaway in the Capital this autumn. This is some general information for race participants and visitors to Canberra on the weekend –
This is the 2021 Season Opener!
What awaits you: cross-country racing at its best!
The ACT round will be held at Stromlo Forest Park and we’ve picked a blinder of a race track from the 60+ km goodness of trails! For the first time we’ll have the event centre near the 4X track so we don’t impact the busy Saturday trade and shuttle action in the car park. We race up Wattle Happen, Willo Roundabout #rideonwillo and Willo link and back via Duffy’s Descent.
The support from Stromlo Forest Park and the local operators in the park has been fantastic.
Race and explore the Capital in autumn with us – a huge thanks to the Visit Canberra for their support. Click here for the #rockytrailracer Destination Guide in Canberra with lots of ideas for activities off the race track in and around the City plus two accommodation offers from the Abode Hotel Group as well as the Statesman Hotel.
VIRTUAL RIDER BRIEFING
During 2020 the Rocky Trail crew and racing community have adopted an additional set of event and racing rules in order to keep racing in the Covid-19 events environment. We are drawing on the experiences we have gained as organisers, however, also as a competitor and spectator at the events you play an important role. – Please take the time to watch or read through this entire rider briefing.
RIDER BRIEFING CONTENT IN WRITING
We are so grateful for the outpour of support and enthusiasm by our Rocky Trail riders through 2020 and in 2021. We have been able to deliver successful events through the support of our. Community and with their assistance to ride within the constraints COVID 19 presented. We need to continue to comply to social distancing and other COVID rules to continue to run events.
A lot of thought has gone into this Rider Briefing and we expect all competitors and non-racing visitors to comply with how this event will be run. It is very challenging and a privilege to host this event and participate in this race – we appreciate your cooperation.
- Maintain social distancing at all times in the open air event hub and when purchasing food and drinks. Face masks are not required outdoors but it is always a good idea to carry one if you intend on going into one of the Buller shop outlets.
- NEW in 2021 at Stromlo: All event participants – racers as well as non-racing supporters and ANY visitor at the venue are required to sign in with the new “Check in CBR” App. The QR Code posters will be available at the registration hub on the day:
All race competitors, visitors, crew and spectators are required to sign into the “Check In CBR App” – you will be asked to show confirmation of the sign in (either on screen or via a screenshot) to receive your race plate and event centre / trail access.
How to check in (note: we are using the same QR code as last weekend at the Fox Superflow event):
- QR Check In: Open the app and scan the QR Code at the registration desk of the race.
- Manual check in if you can’t scan the code: Open the App and enter the code 832486 to check in manually.
Special Strava Club Challenge
Did you know that Rocky Trail has a Strava Club? We are running a challenge during this Shimano MTB GP at Stromlo! With thanks to our partners from the Double Strength online portal who are collating the Strava data for us and providing the ranking portal, we are putting up two challenges:
- KOM – climbing – The infamous and iconic Blackberry Climb awaits. #shutuplegs
- DH – descending – Smooth, fast and clean – that’s how you ride the Double Dissolution
Male and female winners get Rocky Trail goodies. For more info check out the instructions on our website, basically you need to be on Strava and connect to Double Strength, so they can add your Strava data to the ranking list.
We can wait to see you smashing it! – Remember, your race photos are included in your entry, be sure to download them after the race and share your stories using:
ABOUT the venue
Event centre and parking location: Stromlo Forest Park, Opperman Avenue, Stromlo ACT
Please note: this year the Shimano MTB GP event centre will be located next to the original 4X hill next to the main car park (look out for the big blue Stromlo trail map pillars) and Shimano arch. This is so that we don’t impact the busy Stromlo traffic near the cafe and shuttle bus turn-around.
We love the ever-expanding and evolving trail network and putting together our favourite trail combinations for our events, always inspired by input from our local racers! More information about Stromlo Forest Park can be found here: www.stromloforestpark.com.au
It is a public MTB track and you can ride it in the lead up to the race.
Camping is allowed on Friday and Saturday night.
For those of you, for whom this will be the first Rocky Trail event, we differ from most other events by offering a much more relaxed format.
For regular Shimano MTB GP racers – we have a major change for you in 2021: we are racing for 4 and 6 hours and the main racing categories are solos or pairs only!
4+6 HOUR LAP RACING
Solo racers and pairs teams race for four (GP4) or six (GP6) hours across age categories for adults and junior shredders.
AGE CATEGORIES + GC
Racers receive a placing in their age category and in an online General Classification (GC).
There are age-group and eBike categories.
How does it work?
- Most laps per solo rider or team in the least amount of time wins.
- The race track is closed at 1pm for 4 hour racers and at 3pm for 6 hour racers – you may still start another lap before that cut-off and that lap still counts.
- There are age-group and eBike categories – eBikers: only eBikes that conform with the Australian standards are allowed at our events.
- Expect less of a winners-only-focused competition, but a positive and inclusive experience for all racers.
- Rider call up 8:45am, race start 9am
- Last lap start: 1pm for 4 hour, 3pm for 6 hour race – this lap still counts.
- Most laps per solo rider or team in the least amount of time wins.
All day The track is marked and you can practice on it but we won’t have any services (marshals, first aid) in place.
7:30-8:45 am Registration open to pick up your number plate
8.45 am Rider call up, be race ready.
The official rider briefing usually held before the race start will be available online before the race.
9 am Race start
approx. 11 am Kids race
1.00pm Race finish – GP4 hour
2.00pm Est. Ceremony GP4 hour
3.00pm Race finish – GP6 hour
4.00pm Est. Ceremony GP6 hour
approx. 4.00pm Last Rider and Sweeper across the line and event finishes.
You can check your race results on your phone as soon as you cross the timing mat/finish line after every lap – we have LIVE TIMING, so also everyone back home on the couch 😉 can check your racing progress throughout the day. When you finish your 4 or 6 hour race do check those results and laps. If you’re on a podium, please come and see the timing/registration desk to claim your podium race plate. This is YOUR race number for the remainder of the Season, reserved for you and you can keep collecting racing accolades/podium stickers for it.
Race tracks used
Tracks used are:
Wattle Happen – Blackberry Climb – Slant Six – Willo Link – Double Dissolution – Crim Track – Afterparty – Dingo – White Gums – Ringtail – Breakout – Old Duffy Descent
We thank the support of the local business across the weekend;
- Food – the awesome crew from The Handlebar Cafe at Stromlo will be cooking and brewing up a storm all weekend with the delicious menu from The Grease Monkey available too! Cafe opening times are: 7am – 9pm on Fri, Sat and Sunday.
- Visiting the Capital and looking to explore – check out our Destination Guide for #rockytrailracers to get you started!
- Tech Support: Cycle City at Stromlo has been a huge help promoting the event and will offer bike support across the weekend. Stop by and check them out!
- RedBull & Choonz: The sweet tunes of Rocky Trail Rradio with DJ Mista Nige powered by earSHOTS will be filling the air across the weekend. Come, say hi to the Wiings Team and grab a cold Redbull and enjoy.
- TOILETS: Onsite in the Stromlo pavillion.
- WATER: Water tabs available in the event centre and at the top of the main climb (near observatory).
- MEDICAL: on-site in the event centre medical support and roaming out on track.
Outer Image Collective photographers will be on site to snap that action photo you have been dreaming about.
Sunny days are ahead! We expect the weather to be good for the weekend at Stromlo.
Event updates during the race / weekend:
We always announce any major updates mainly via the FB event page, as well as our news blog and email newsletters:
Rider List and Results
All weekend you can find links to Rider List and LIVE Results via the drop-down menu from the event page on our website! You can check these now and throughout the weekend via your mobile devices – to reduce touch points we will not have any public display computers on-site.
General race regulations
- Race etiquette – Important: you MUST adhere to social distancing rules AND rude behaviour out on track is not acceptable. Please be kind to each other. We are all here to compete and to race and that is fine, but as owners of Rocky Trail Entertainment, Juliane and Martin Wisata EXPECT their competitors to be respectful of each other:
- We have seen an exciting and amazing influx of new competitors at Rocky Trail events an especially as we move into new regions with our races, we want to be very clear about this: EVERY competitor has a right to be out on track.
- The fast and semi-pro racers need to be (and would be from their experience) aware that especially at a lap race, a podium position is not won by one or two seconds that you might loose by overtaking a slower rider in a respectful and friendly manner. Call out to the rider or runner ahead of you, tell them you are there and that you will move past on which side.
- For casual racers, please respect the fast guys too – sometimes the fast riders see a gap that you don’t and they have the confidence that they can overtake you safely. Trust in their judgement. – At the same time, stand your ground, no need to stop completely, move to the side and let them pass. You will find you’ll get into a flow and a rhythm.
- We appreciate every racer and we have been building the Rocky Trail community for over a decade – we are grateful to have you all racing with us.
- Chat to Martin or Juliane if you have any questions.
- If you are the parent or carer of a junior racer you can ride or run with them, either as a racer or see rego to nominate as a marshal.
- We love to help and chat! Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
- No cheating! You need to stay on the race track. No cheating or ‘sneaky pro lines’ where you leave the track and reenter.
- Don’t litter – please take your rubbish back with you or throw it in the landfill or recycling bins we have near the registration tent.
- Toilets will be cleaned and disinfect during the day. Please let us know if they need a clean.
- Timing will be done with your timing chip – please ensure it is on your bike/attached to your chest and in the MTB that the plastic doesn’t touch any metal parts of your bike (e.g. don’t wrap the number plate around your handlebar).
- You agreed to our RACE WAIVER when you registered online – here is a link to the RACE WAIVER again
- Click here for DETAILED RACE RULES
COVID-specific Event Rules
How are we running this event and how do we keep you safe? By limiting the rider field to 300 per day (events up to 500 are allowed at the moment in NSW) you can see right away that we still err on the side of caution. So please understand if some of the rules appear harsh, but we need to ensure that we can keep racing in this new world.
- Social Distancing: Our main request is that you follow the Covid-Safe rules and regulations as laid out by the ACT Government and observe strict Social Distancing Rules throughout your race day. A lot of thought has gone into this Rider Briefing and we expect all competitors and non-racing visitors to comply with how this event will be run. It is very challenging and a privilege to host this event and participate in this race – we appreciate your cooperation.
- Racers AND Non-racing supporters and ANY visitor at the venue are required to sign in via the “Check In CBR” App. (scroll up for info)
Rocky Trail Covid-19 safety guidelines:
- BEFORE THE RACE: If any of the following applies please contact us immediately.
We will transfer or refund your entry but you CAN NOT PARTICIPATE in the event:
- If you are showing any signs of the cold or flu.
- If you have event the slightest fever (we have facilities on site to test and will send you home immediately if you have fever).
- Please be aware that we will and are ready to shut down and postpone the event if direct Federal or State Health orders change in the event lead up until Friday.
- For details regarding event transfers or to cancel an entry, please refer to our policy.
- ON RACE DAY: There are a few important changes on how we run things on the day:
- We have arranged exclusive use of the race tracks mentioned above, but please be mindful of non-competitors who might disregard our signage.
- if you are spectating on your non-racing day, please check in online and report to the Rego tent as a supporter/visitor.
- You can practice on non-racing days, but we won’t have any services (marshalls, first aid) in place.
- Volunteers are welcome, again come out and bring your bike if you have one.
- RACE PLATE: You can pick up your race plate with the timing chip from the rego and info point – check the schedule for opening times.
- This way we avoid queues near the registration area.
- RACING & ETIQUETTE: You MUST adhere to SOCIAL DISTANCING rules!
- If you queue up at a start line please leave a bike length between each other.
- Overall we don’t expect much queuing as the field will spread quickly.
- When you finish your race please give each other as much space as possible.
- No hand-shaking permitted at event.
- Please understand that we need to be very strict on this . Non-compliance will result in revoking race access or disqualification.
- CHEERING: Keep 4m distance to the race track!
- If you ‘hackle’ or encourage other riders on their race run please do so at least 4m away from the race track.
- Shouting is a known source of virus transmission and we MUST minimise the risk there. Non-compliance will result in revoking race access or disqualification.
- RESULTS & CEREMONY:
- Race results are LIVE throughout the day.
- Access race results via the website.
- Giveaways for every racer: Rocky Trail water bottle.
- IMPORTANT: CHECK YOUR RACE RESULTS with us or as soon as you cross the line! The top three podium getters in each age category will receive their podium medal.
- PERSONAL HYGIENE:
- No ‘snot rockets’ (blowing your nose without a tissue) in the vicinity of other people.
- Hand washing stations and sanitation stations are available at the venue.
- Please regularly clean your hands with an alcoholic-based hand rub or wash hands with soap and water (especially after going to bathroom, before eating, after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing).
- Riders and visitors are encouraged to wear (cycling) gloves when picking up number plates.
- Unless from the same family, we discourage you from car-pooling to the venue.
- PARTICIPANT TRACKING:
- Every person at the event (including non-racers) need to register.
- Racers will be tracked with race plates.
- Non-competitors will need to sign on via the online system.
Enforcement of COVID Safe Plan
If we see blatant breaches of those rules we will ask you to leave the event. You are not only potentially endangering other racers, but also the future of our business.
We recommend but won’t enforce that all event participants use the Covid Safe App to assist health authorities with tracking potentially.
Please understand that the team won’t shake hands, hug, high five or fist bump anyone and will be trying keep some distance to all riders during registration, start and finish. There will be a lot socially distance elbow bumps from us, which is almost as good .
Now, get ready!
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)