Welcome to the Shimano MTB GP 2022 START of the NSW/ACT Series at Stromlo Forest Park in Canberra!
Make this a smashfest, show off your sponsor logos, re-kindle your love for XC racing or catch the racing bug with us!
GENERAL RIDER BRIEFING CONTENT IN WRITING
We can’t wait to see you smashing it! Remember, your race photos are included in your entry. Be sure to download them after the race and share your stories using:
ABOUT the venue
Stromlo Forest Park, Dave McInnes Rd, Stromlo ACT 2611
We always get some local intel to put together an awesome racing circuit with some of the most popular trail sections and always aim to feature some hidden gems that will make any mountain biker’s heart skip a beat! Bring the family along for a perfect weekend riding getaway in the Capital!
More information about Stromlo Forest Park can be found here: www.stromloforestpark.com.au
It is a public MTB track and you can ride it in the lead up to the race. You can camp at the Stromlo car park and event centre on the Friday night. Be aware that normally the gates close at 9pm.
Race tracks used
Tracks used are:
Wattle Happen, Blackberry Climb (=Lazer KOM/QOM classification track!), Slant Six, Willo Link, Double Dissolution, Crim Track, Afterparty, Dingo, White Gums, Ringtail, Breakout, Old Duffy Descent.
The forecast for the weekend is ideal racing weather! A beautiful late summer day awaits you in Canberra!
Solo racers and pairs teams race for 4 hours and receive a placing across age categories for adults and junior shredders and in the General Classification (GC).
- 9am mass start for all riders
- Complete as many laps as you can in 4 hours.
- You may start your last lap by 12:59pm (the 3:59 hour mark) and that lap still counts.
- Solos – you keep going round and round.
- Teams – this is a pairs realy, only one of you may be out on the race track at any time. There are now strict rules on how many laps each pairs racer must complete. As soon as the team records one lap you’re in the results.
As with all disciplines of riding, GP/XC has changed, and we are aligning with those changes. The Olympics saw much shorter, punchier short course and marathon has trended toward faster courses.
We also want to shine more of a spotlight on people that do this sport well, as its equally important as descending a million miles a hour.
The male & female winners of four overall classifications will be featured in a virtual “Legends Lounge on our website. We will put together a racer profile and offer the opportunity for a media statement and links to social accounts to help up and coming Elites and amateur racing teams, offering one-on-one social media and entrepreneurial advice sessions throughout the season.
Each race offers official winners race plates, which is a set of special additional classifications:
- KOM/QOM with a polka dot race plate,
- Junior Sprint Winner (male/female U18 fastest lap time) in white,
- Best Sprinter for the fastest adult lap time (male/female) in green and a
- Solo GC Winner plate in yellow for male and female outright solo winners.
Racing the series
We will deliver the most expansive 4-Hour XC Series with events in NSW, ACT, QLD and VIC. Here is the the way we will calculate points:
- You will get points against your name in the category you are racing in. Meaning that if you swap teams, which is likely to happen with such a big line up of events, you will not loose your hard earned points but keep accumulating them.
- Each event offers a stand-alone race and race winners in the age categories are awarded with trophy number plates and accolade plaques, which can be collected and displayed on the number plates.
- Each race also offers the opportunity to accumulate points to go into the overall series ranking and the new points classification across all Rocky Trail events, which will form the “league of extraordinary #rockytrailracers”.
- Each race result and the relevant points count towards a rider’s series rankings.
- The series will be split into: NSW/ACT, Queensland, Victoria and additionally we will crown the overall Australian Shimano MTB GP Champions.
- Riders need to complete at least 2 races in one category to be eligible for an individual series podium ranking. Every race counts.
Schedule – for all participants
All day The track is marked and you can practice on it but we won’t have any services (marshals, first aid) in place.
7:30-8:45 am Registration open to pick up your number plate
8.45 am Rider call up, be race ready.
The official rider briefing usually held before the race start will be available online before the race.
9 am Race start
approx. 11 am Kids race
1.00 pm Race finish – you finish the lap you are on but can’t start a new one.
approx. 1.45pm Last Rider and Sweeper across the line and event finishes.
2.00 pm Ceremony
Après Racing: Pumptrack Shootout
From 3pm be ready for a new kind of Pump Track Challenge as Rocky Trail Entertainment introduces a revolutionary new racing format with LIVE timing throughout the event!
Venue: Stromlo Pumptrack
What: Pumptrack Shootout, sign up online or on the day $20 per rider
How: Quali & Racing Heats
When: From 3pm
Race plates with passive timing chips, automatic race timing and LIVE results online all day.
Event Facilities & Services:
- Event centre: is located at the main car park near the Stromlo near the totem poles with the Stromlo Maps and signage.
- Food/Drinks: The Handlebar at Stromlo will have you covered
- Tech Support: Fizo Cycling will be on-site to help with mechanical issues.
- Parking: please follow instructions of staff, if required.
- Toilets: Stromlo Forest Park has public toilets and hot showers too!
- Camping: is allowed on Friday night only.
- Water: There is potable water at the carpark.
- MEDICAL: On-site in the event centre and roaming out on track. The Race Director mobile number is available on your race plate for any issues out on track.
- TEAM TENTS – Are welcome – please email firstname.lastname@example.org to secure your spot near the Event Hub – plenty of space available!
You don’t need to be a member of any cycling association to race with Rocky Trail. Some offer great insurance packages which are worthwhile checking out and you are in charge of your own health insurance when racing with us.
Plan your Visit
This event is supported by Visit Canberra and ACT Events – we encourage you race these iconic trails with us if you’re a local and travel with us from out of town! Come early, stay longer and “Race and Play”. Great to bring partners and the family along, race on the Saturday and explore the region on the Sunday.
Click here for the #rockytrailracer Destination Guide in Canberra with lots of ideas for activities off the race track in and around the City plus two accommodation offers from the Abode Hotel Group as well as the Statesman Hotel.
Rocky Trail Merchandise:
Brand-new RTxDharco Jersey Range
- Limited stock, new designs dropping in 2022! Get Rocky Trail T-shirts ($35) and hoodies ($65) for that post-race recovery chill!
- Socks $15
- Mudguards $20
- NEW Rocky Trail hats made from recycled materials “eco-choice” – $30
- Available from the Rocky Trail rego desk all weekend!
Product Testers Wanted:
Our Rocky Trail Rewards Programme has a new partner with “No Worries Industries”. They offer a deal for their Anti Friction Chamois Cream, which is “100% natural, long-lasting and high performance endurance formula” that works in all conditions to prevent saddle sores and infections. It contains tea tree oil and eucalyptus oil to help prevent bacteria and peppermint oil for cooling effects. See rewards portal for the deal.
At Stromlo grab a sample at the rego desk and post a review on their website! Limited stock available.
Outer Image Collective photographers will be on site to snap that action photo you have been dreaming about.
Rocky Trail is always looking for crew to support the riders. If you can lend a hand either Saturday or Sunday complete our online form https://rockytrailentertainment.com/home/volunteering/ or contact Jo at email@example.com to be part of the team. Riders luv seeing supporters at our events.
Event updates during the race / weekend:
We always announce any major updates including any new COVID restriction announcements mainly via the FB event page, as well as our news blog and email newsletters. Please feel comfortable to register knowing we will refund or transfer your entry if QLD tips upside down like the other states.
Rider List and Results
All weekend you can find links to Rider List and LIVE Results via the drop-down menu from the event page on our website! Before the race day the page will display the RIDER LIST and from the race start onwards it will switch to LIVE then on Sunday after the race to final results. You can check these now and throughout the weekend via your mobile devices – to reduce touch points we will not have any public display computers on-site.
COVID-specific Event Guidelines
How are we running this event and how do we keep you safe?
Rocky Trail Covid-19 safety guidelines:
- BEFORE THE RACE: If any of the following applies please contact us immediately.
We will transfer or refund your entry but you CAN NOT PARTICIPATE in the event:
- If you are showing any signs of the cold or flu.
- If you have a fever.
- ON RACE DAY: There are a few important changes on how we run things on the day:
- ACCESS: Race tracks are closed to the general public.
- RACE PLATE: You can pick up your race plate with the timing chip from the rego and info point – check the schedule for opening times.
- This way we avoid queues near the registration area.
- RACING & ETIQUETTE: Please adhere to SOCIAL DISTANCING rules!
- If you queue up at a start line please leave a bike length between each other.
- Overall we don’t expect much queuing as the field will spread quickly.
- When you finish your race please give each other as much space as possible.
- RESULTS & CEREMONY:
- Race results are LIVE throughout the day.
- Access race results via the website.
- Giveaways for every racer.
Now, get ready!
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)