Welcome to the Shimano MTB Grand Prix on the Sunshine Coast.
What awaits you: cross-country racing at its best!
For the riders who can travel to the coast it’s time to come and play in Australia’s favourite playground! Splash in the surf, wander ancient rainforests, and give the koalas a cuddle – and race your bike with Rocky Trail!! This is our 4th and final round of the 2021 QLD Shimano GP Series.
STAY & PLAY –
Check out our Destination Guide for exclusive offers and information about what’s happening on the Sunshine Coast for #rockytrailracers!
VIRTUAL RIDER BRIEFING
RIDER BRIEFING CONTENT IN WRITING
An epic weekend of events awaits you!
Key things to remember:
- Maintain social distancing at all times in the open air event hub and when purchasing food and drinks.
- We are tracking all event participants – ANY competitor or visitor at the venue is required to Check-In by using the QR code posters available around the event hub:
The Shimano GP format provides a ‘seriously fun” racing experience for all.
- Registrations open at 7:15 am and the friendly staff are there to make your racing experience as easy as possible.
- Riders will be called to the start at approximately 8:45. The start is approximately 400m from the event hub, located at the bottom of the Sour Power trail, with the start grid in the big open space.
- Race grid is self-seeded and we ask riders to be reasonable as no 4 or 6 hr race has ever been won in the first kilometres.
- Racing will start at 9am.
- Presentations for the 4 hr race will be as soon after 1pm as possible (approximately 1:45pm).
- Presentations for the 6hr race will be as soon as the last rider has finished their last lap.
- Series award points will be allocated and awarded for the last round of 2021.
We can’t wait to see you smashing it! – Remember, your race photos are included in your entry, be sure to download them after the race and share your stories using:
ABOUT the venue
Sugarbag Mountain Bike Park is located on Sugar Bag Road Caloundra. With so many cool features newly constructed on site the venue has no onsite parking, so you need to plan well for a smooth day.
So what do I need to do?
- Arrive early – we have over 130+ riders registered on the day.
- Registration will open from 7.30am.
- Team tents are welcome. The flat space below the grass line is available. No vehicle access allowed.
- Marquees will need weights or sand bags as the ground is very hard to peg.
- A dedicated ‘Drop-n-Go’ zone is available in the main carpark entry via Sugarbag road.
- Parking options:
- 4wd vehicles may park in the Powerlink easement West of the entry carpark. Approx 40 vehicles, please ensure when parking we maximise the area.
- Additional parking is available at the bottom of the park access from Mark Road East. An easy walking trail from carpark to the Event Hub is possible via Sour Power trail, follow the sign.
With a busy trail network featuring lots of timber features, log roll overs, sweeping berms and surprising pinchy climbs, riders will need to be on their game. Back by popular demand, the course replicas the 2020 version, which has been designed to provide key overtaking sections but you will need to be quick and strategic.
The Start will be on the “Bottom Power Line Track” and climb up “Sour Power” to the Event Hub.
From the Event Hub onto “Milky Way’ to the start of “Syrup”. On “Syrup” after about 200m break out left onto “Milky Way” to climb to the start of “Sweet Sugar” (an excellent passing opportunity). We will use the full “Sweet Sugar” and when complete cross back over to the second section of “Syrup” before again climbing the “Milky Way” (another good passing opp) to the start of “Party Mix”. Complete all of “Party Mix,” and then proceed onto “Fantales” to the “Bottom Power Line Track.” From the “Bottom Power Line Track” cut onto “Willy Wonka” and you will join “Sour Power” under the bridge called “The Gateway.” Climbing “Sour Power” will get you back to the Event Hub.
For those of you, for whom this will be the first Rocky Trail event, we differ from most other events by offering a much more relaxed format.
4+6 Hour Lap Racing
Solo racers and pairs teams race for four (GP4) or six (GP6) hours across age categories for adults and junior shredders.
Age Categories + GC
Racers receive a placing in their age category and in an online General Classification (GC).
There are age-group and eBike categories.
How does it work?
- Most laps per solo rider or team in the least amount of time wins.
- The race track is closed at 1pm for 4 hour racers and at 3pm for 6 hour racers – you may still start another lap before that cut-off and that lap still counts.
- There are age-group and eBike categories – eBikers: only eBikes that conform with the Australian standards are allowed at our events.
- Expect less of a winners-only-focused competition, but a positive and inclusive experience for all racers.
Schedule – for all participants
Tracks are CLOSED for the majority of the day due to the Rocky Trail Academy event. You are welcome to ride after 4pm to get your last minute practice in but remember no marshals or first aid will be in place.
7:15-8:45 am Registration open to pick up your number plate
8.45 am Rider call up, be race ready.
9 am Race start
approx. 11 am Kids race
1.00pm Race finish – GP4 hour
2.00pm Est. Ceremony GP4 hour
3.00pm Race finish – GP6 hour
4.00pm Est. Ceremony GP6 hour
approx. 4.00pm Last Rider and Sweeper across the line and event finishes.
- You can check your race results on your phone as soon as you cross the timing mat/finish line after every lap – we have LIVE TIMING, so also everyone back home on the couch can check your racing progress throughout the day.
- When you finish your 4 or 6 hour race do check those results and laps.
- If you’re on a podium, please wait for the presentation to receive your series race plate and the QLD Series presentation to award our dedicated riders.
2021 QLD Shimano GP Series Awards
What can you expect:
- A well-marked course
- Caution signs in technical areas
- Passing opportunities
- A large transition area
- Online rider briefing prior to event
- Music and medical service in case something doesn’t go to plan
- Easy registration
- And a supportive community
After racing stay and relax and enjoy the noise and action at the Rocky Trail Pumptrack Shootout!
Kicking off from 3.30 until 8pm riders will contest to be the fastest rider of the track. Newly designed and constructed everyone will be keen to see who can be crowned King and Queen of Sugarbag.
Food/Drink available on site.
- LIVE DJ at the Shootout Pumptrack event: DJ Keiko Nabetani (https://www.instagram.com/dj_keiko_music/) will be smashing out a session for us!
- MC and under lights guarantees to be a great night out.
- Check out all the details HERE.
Come along and join the team to make the final QLD Shimano GP 2021 a great success!
We thank the support of the local business across the weekend;
- Food and Coffee will be available from FRANKIE the Van (Frank & Moss local cafe supplier):
Ham and Cheese
Bacon and Egg
Halloumi and Avocado
Sausage rolls $5
Beef mince, cheese, sour cream, guacamole and salsa
Acai bowl $14
Acai, house granola, berries, coconut and chocolate
Fresh watermelon cups $4
Hummus with vege sticks $4
Grab & Go popcorn $2
- Music during the day: Our Rocky Trail Radio with DJ Mista Nige powered by earSHOTS will be providing the beats to kick off racing and give you the adrenalin you need.
- Giveaways: Will be again supported by our sponsors and we will have giveaways available on the day.
Rocky Trail Merchandise:
- Get cool Rocky Trail T-shirts ($35) and warm hoodies ($65) for that post-race recovery chill!
- Socks $15
- Available from the Rocky Trail rego desk all weekend!
- Medical: Medics will be on site for the duration of event with roaming marshals out assisting across the day.
- Toilets: Portable toilets will be provided at the event hub.
- WATER: Available on-site.
- Mechanic: HitBikes will be on-site.
Outer Image Collective photographers will be on site to snap that action photo you have been dreaming about.
Rocky Trail is always looking for crew to support the riders. If you can lend a hand please complete our online form https://rockytrailentertainment.com/home/volunteering/ or contact Jo at email@example.com to be part of the team. Riders luv seeing supporters at our events.
Perfect conditions for racing with a forecast of 9 to 22c for the day.
Event updates during the race / weekend:
We always announce any major updates mainly via the FB event page, as well as our news blog and email newsletters:
Race Director – Bob Morris 0458 299 558
Event Manager & Media Liaison – Jo Parker 0424 955 332
General Race Regulations
- We have seen an exciting and amazing influx of new competitors at Rocky Trail events an especially as we move into new regions with our races, we want to be very clear about this: EVERY competitor has a right to be out on track.
- The fast and semi-pro racers need to be (and would be from their experience) aware that especially at a lap race, a podium position is not won by one or two seconds that you might loose by overtaking a slower rider in a respectful and friendly manner. Call out to the rider or runner ahead of you, tell them you are there and that you will move past on which side.
- For casual racers, please respect the fast guys too – sometimes the fast riders see a gap that you don’t and they have the confidence that they can overtake you safely. Trust in their judgement. – At the same time, stand your ground, no need to stop completely, move to the side and let them pass. You will find you’ll get into a flow and a rhythm.
- We appreciate every racer and we have been building the Rocky Trail community for over a decade – we are grateful to have you all racing with us.
- Chat to our Event Managers if you have any questions.
- We love to help and chat! Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
- No cheating! You need to stay on the race track. No cheating or ‘sneaky pro lines’ where you leave the track and reenter. Sugarbag trials are tight and twisty – please respect the environment.
- Don’t litter – please take your rubbish back with you or throw it in the landfill or recycling bins we have near the registration tent.
- Toilets will be cleaned and disinfect during the day. Please let us know if they need a clean.
- Timing will be done with your timing chip – please ensure it is on your bike/attached to your chest and in the MTB that the plastic doesn’t touch any metal parts of your bike (e.g. don’t wrap the number plate around your handlebar).
- You agreed to our RACE WAIVER when you registered online – here is a link to the RACE WAIVER again
- Click here for DETAILED RACE RULES
COVID-specific Event Rules
How are we running this event and how do we keep you safe?
- Social Distancing: Our main request is that you follow the Covid-Safe rules and regulations as laid out by the QLD Government and observe strict Social Distancing Rules throughout your race day. A lot of thought has gone into this Rider Briefing and we expect all competitors and non-racing visitors to comply with how this event will be run. It is very challenging and a privilege to host this event and participate in this race – we appreciate your cooperation.
- Every competitor and visitor in the event centre is required to Check In via the QLD Covid App:
Rocky Trail Covid-19 safety guidelines:
- BEFORE THE RACE: If any of the following applies please contact us immediately.
We will transfer or refund your entry but you CAN NOT PARTICIPATE in the event:
- If you are showing any signs of the cold or flu.
- If you have event the slightest fever (we have facilities on site to test and will send you home immediately if you have fever).
- Please be aware that we will and are ready to shut down and postpone the event if direct Federal or State Health orders change in the event lead up until Friday.
- For details regarding event transfers or to cancel an entry, please refer to our policy.
Now, get ready!
Rocky Trail race vibes on the go!
Listen to Rocky Trail Radio powered by earSHOTS to get ready to race!
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)
You must be logged in to post a comment.