Welcome to the Shimano MTB Grand Prix in Townsville! With this race we are bringing back the spirit of Hot Rock cross-country racing to Townsville!
Rocky Trail Entertainment are hosting 4 Shimano GP races in Queensland this year with events in Logan, Townsville, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast. We are extremely excited to be bringing a series to Queensland and especially excited to have Qld events included in an Shimano Australian GP Championship series. Find out more information here.
What awaits you: cross-country racing at its best!
We are launching Shimano MTB Grand Prix cross-country racing in QLD this year! For this first Queensland Rocky Trail XC event we would like to thank the Townsville Enterprise and the local business community for their fantastic support.
We invite you to explore beautiful Townsville with us on and off the ‘rocky trails’! We’ve got two back-to-back event weekends for you!
Boasting more than 300 days of sunshine each year and surrounded by stunning natural landscapes, Townsville North Queensland is just the place to ignite your sense of wonder.
From the underwater world of the Great Barrier Reef to the vast landscapes of the outback and stunning Heritage-listed rainforest, Townsville North Queensland has something for everyone – on and off the rocky (mountain bike) trails!
STAY & PLAY –
Check out our Destination Guide for exclusive Offers and information about what’s on in Townsville for #rockytrailracers!
Don’t forget, Rocky trail is in the area for two back-to-back weekends! Check it out!
VIRTUAL RIDER BRIEFING
During 2020 the Rocky Trail crew and racing community have adopted an additional set of event and racing rules in order to keep racing in the Covid-19 events environment. We are drawing on the experiences we have gained as organisers, however, also as a competitor and spectator at the events you play an important role. – Please take the time to watch or read through this entire rider briefing.
RIDER BRIEFING CONTENT IN WRITING
We are so grateful for the outpour of support and enthusiasm by our Rocky Trail riders through 2020 and in 2021. We have been able to deliver successful events through the support of our. Community and with their assistance to ride within the constraints COVID 19 presented. We need to continue to comply to social distancing and other COVID rules to continue to run events.
A lot of thought has gone into this Rider Briefing and we expect all competitors and non-racing visitors to comply with how this event will be run. It is very challenging and a privilege to host this event and participate in this race – we appreciate your cooperation.
- Maintain social distancing at all times in the open air event hub and when purchasing food and drinks.
- We are tracking all event participants – non-racing supporters and ANY visitor at the venue are required to sign in for an Event Access Pass ahead of the race or on the day via these links:
The Shimano GP format provides a ‘seriously fun” racing experience for all.
- Registrations open at 7:15 am and the friendly staff are there to make your racing experience as easy as possible.
- Riders will be called to the start at approximately 8:45.
- Race grid is self-seeded and we ask riders to be reasonable as no 4 or 6 hr race has ever been won in the first kilometres.
- Racing will start at 9am.
- Presentations for the 4 hr race will be as soon after 1pm as possible (approximately 1:45pm).
- Presentations for the 6hr race will be as soon as the last rider has finished their last lap.
We can wait to see you smashing it! – Remember, your race photos are included in your entry, be sure to download them after the race and share your stories using:
ABOUT the venue
Mount Douglas Reserve – Angus Smith Dr, Douglas QLD 4814
What’s better than having hills with picturesque views within 15 minutes of a CBD? Being able to ride 30km of single track on those hills 24/7 – and to race an awesome circuit on some of the most spectacular parts of those trails for 4 and 6 hours with Rocky Trail!
The event centre is very well set up at the bottom of the hill near the skills park – a great local community of mountain bikers is ready for rocky trail racing with you!
New course for 2021
This course has been designed with the assistance of locals and should thrill with the more quality descending and the cooler temperatures predicted for this year’s Hotrock will surely be appreciated. We will be hoping to keep all the A Lines on “Rock and Roll” open (unlike 2020) but will wait and see the track conditions to make the final call.
The 2021 version of the Shimano GP -Hotrock will use the following course:
- Leaving the Event Hub we will roll down together to the start area on the Fruit Loop fire trail. A mass start at 9am heads up the “Fruit Loop” track which is wide for approximately 800m.
- From “Fruit Loop’ we will utilise the “Creeks” track to get across to “Easy Street” for approximately 1km before cutting out right to the “Back End” to get to the “Tower Link Hub”.
- Riders will then climb “Up the Backside” all the way before dropping into the “Ridgeline” for some descending fun relief. A traverse across “Beefwood” to “Haydens Hump” until again descending “Rock n Roll 2&3” and “Jump Street” will surely have smiles on faces entering the event hub and transition area.
- Course length is approximately 8km, it has 170m elevation change and approximately 260m climbing in total.
We have arranged for the tracks to be closed to the general public for the duration of the event. Please report to the CREW if you believe general public is non-compliant on race day.
For those of you, for whom this will be the first Rocky Trail event, we differ from most other events by offering a much more relaxed format.
For regular Shimano MTB GP racers – we have a major change for you in 2021: we are racing for 4 and 6 hours and the main racing categories are solos or pairs only!
4+6 HOUR LAP RACING
Solo racers and pairs teams race for four (GP4) or six (GP6) hours across age categories for adults and junior shredders.
AGE CATEGORIES + GC
Racers receive a placing in their age category and in an online General Classification (GC).
There are age-group and eBike categories.
How does it work?
- Most laps per solo rider or team in the least amount of time wins.
- The race track is closed at 1pm for 4 hour racers and at 3pm for 6 hour racers – you may still start another lap before that cut-off and that lap still counts.
- There are age-group and eBike categories – eBikers: only eBikes that conform with the Australian standards are allowed at our events.
- Expect less of a winners-only-focused competition, but a positive and inclusive experience for all racers.
All day The track is marked and you can practice on it but we won’t have any services (marshals, first aid) in place.
7:15-8:45 am Registration open to pick up your number plate
8.45 am Rider call up, be race ready.
The official rider briefing usually held before the race start will be available online before the race.
9 am Race start
approx. 10 am Kids race => for more information, visit the announcement on Facebook
1.00pm Race finish – GP4 hour
2.00pm Est. Ceremony GP4 hour
3.00pm Race finish – GP6 hour
4.00pm Est. Ceremony GP6 hour
approx. 4.00pm Last Rider and Sweeper across the line and event finishes.
- You can check your race results on your phone as soon as you cross the timing mat/finish line after every lap – we have LIVE TIMING, so also everyone back home on the couch 😉 can check your racing progress throughout the day.
- When you finish your 4 or 6 hour race do check those results and laps.
- If you’re on a podium, please come and see the timing/registration desk to claim your podium race plate/medal.
What can you expect:
- A well-marked course
- Caution signs in technical areas
- Passing opportunities
- A large transition area
- Online rider briefing prior to event
- Music and medical service in case something doesn’t go to plan
- Easy registration
- And a supportive community
Come along and join the team to make the North QLD Shimano GP a great success!
We thank the support of the local business across the weekend;
- Food – please bring your own supplies
- Coffee – SKEP coffee will be onsite serving drinks and snacks
- Merchandise: Available for purchase at registrations are “Race the way you ride” tee-shirts and hoodies, Rocky Trail Socks, Mudguards as well as Gu’s.
- Music: Our Rocky Trail Rradio with DJ Mista Nige powered by earSHOTS will be providing the beats to kick off racing and give you the adrenalin you need.
- Giveaways: Will be again supported by our sponsors and will have giveaways available on the day.
- Medical: Medics will be on site for the duration of event with roaming marshals out assisting across the day
- Toilets: Portable toilets will be provided at the event hub
- WATER: NO WATER IS AVAILABLE ON SITE – please bring sufficient personal supply
Outer Image Collective photographers will be on site to snap that action photo you have been dreaming about.
Perfect conditions for racing with a forecast of 11 to 25c for the day.
Event updates during the race / weekend:
We always announce any major updates mainly via the FB event page, as well as our news blog and email newsletters:
Rider List and Results
All weekend you can find links to Rider List and LIVE Results via the drop-down menu from the event page on our website! You can check these now and throughout the weekend via your mobile devices – to reduce touch points we will not have any public display computers on-site.
General race regulations
- Race etiquette – Important: you MUST adhere to social distancing rules AND rude behaviour out on track is not acceptable. Please be kind to each other. We are all here to compete and to race and that is fine, but as owners of Rocky Trail Entertainment, Juliane and Martin Wisata EXPECT their competitors to be respectful of each other:
- We have seen an exciting and amazing influx of new competitors at Rocky Trail events an especially as we move into new regions with our races, we want to be very clear about this: EVERY competitor has a right to be out on track.
- The fast and semi-pro racers need to be (and would be from their experience) aware that especially at a lap race, a podium position is not won by one or two seconds that you might loose by overtaking a slower rider in a respectful and friendly manner. Call out to the rider or runner ahead of you, tell them you are there and that you will move past on which side.
- For casual racers, please respect the fast guys too – sometimes the fast riders see a gap that you don’t and they have the confidence that they can overtake you safely. Trust in their judgement. – At the same time, stand your ground, no need to stop completely, move to the side and let them pass. You will find you’ll get into a flow and a rhythm.
- We appreciate every racer and we have been building the Rocky Trail community for over a decade – we are grateful to have you all racing with us.
- Chat to our Event Managers if you have any questions.
- If you are the parent or carer of a junior racer you can ride or run with them, either as a racer or see rego to nominate as a marshal.
- We love to help and chat! Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
- No cheating! You need to stay on the race track. No cheating or ‘sneaky pro lines’ where you leave the track and reenter.
- Don’t litter – please take your rubbish back with you or throw it in the landfill or recycling bins we have near the registration tent.
- Toilets will be cleaned and disinfect during the day. Please let us know if they need a clean.
- Timing will be done with your timing chip – please ensure it is on your bike/attached to your chest and in the MTB that the plastic doesn’t touch any metal parts of your bike (e.g. don’t wrap the number plate around your handlebar).
- You agreed to our RACE WAIVER when you registered online – here is a link to the RACE WAIVER again
- Click here for DETAILED RACE RULES
COVID-specific Event Rules
How are we running this event and how do we keep you safe?
- Social Distancing: Our main request is that you follow the Covid-Safe rules and regulations as laid out by the State Government and observe strict Social Distancing Rules throughout your race day.
- Racers AND Non-racing supporters and ANY visitor at the venue are required to sign in via the relevant smartphone app. (scroll up for info)
Rocky Trail Covid-19 safety guidelines:
- BEFORE THE RACE: If any of the following applies please contact us immediately.
We will transfer or refund your entry but you CAN NOT PARTICIPATE in the event:
- If you are showing any signs of the cold or flu.
- If you have event the slightest fever (we have facilities on site to test and will send you home immediately if you have fever).
- Please be aware that we will and are ready to shut down and postpone the event if direct Federal or State Health orders change in the event lead up until Friday.
- For details regarding event transfers or to cancel an entry, please refer to our policy.
- ON RACE DAY: There are a few important changes on how we run things on the day:
- We are utilising majority of the trail network, if you are not racing please chat to Jo at the rego tent to understand where you can ride.
- if you are spectating on your non-racing day, please check in online and report to the Rego tent as a supporter/visitor.
- You can practice on non-racing days, but we won’t have any services (marshalls, first aid) in place.
- Volunteers are welcome, again come out and bring your bike if you have one.
- RACE PLATE: You can pick up your race plate with the timing chip from the rego and info point – check the schedule for opening times.
- This way we avoid queues near the registration area.
- RACING & ETIQUETTE: You MUST adhere to SOCIAL DISTANCING rules!
- If you queue up at a start line please leave a bike length between each other.
- Overall we don’t expect much queuing as the field will spread quickly.
- When you finish your race please give each other as much space as possible.
- CHEERING: Keep 4m distance to the race track!
- If you ‘hackle’ or encourage other riders on their race run please do so at least 4m away from the race track.
- Shouting is a known source of virus transmission and we MUST minimise the risk there. Non-compliance will result in revoking race access or disqualification.
- IMPORTANT: CHECK YOUR RACE RESULTS with us or as soon as you cross the line! The top three podium getters in each age category will receive a podium prize.
- PARTICIPANT TRACKING:
- Every person at the event (including non-racers) need to register.
- Racers will be tracked with race plates.
- Non-competitors will need to sign on via the online system.
Enforcement of COVID Safe Plan
We recommend but won’t enforce that all event participants use the Covid Safe App to assist health authorities with tracking potentially.
Please understand that the team won’t shake hands, hug, high five or fist bump anyone and will be trying keep some distance to all riders during registration, start and finish. There will be a lot socially distance elbow bumps from us, which is almost as good .
Now, get ready!
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)