Welcome to the Shimano MTB Grand Prix on the Gold Coast! With this race we are rediscovering racing at Hinze Dam. It has been many years since the sweet tracks of the dam have been raced.
What awaits you: cross-country racing at its best!
For the riders who can travel to the coast it’s time to come and play in Australia’s favourite playground! Splash in the surf, wander ancient rainforests, and give the koalas a cuddle – and race your bike with Rocky Trail!! We’ve got two back-to-back event weekends for you!
STAY & PLAY –
Check out our Destination Guide for exclusive Offers and information about what’s on in the Gold Coast for #rockytrailracers!
VIRTUAL RIDER BRIEFING
GENERAL RIDER BRIEFING CONTENT IN WRITING
Don’t forget, Rocky trail is in the area for two back-to-back weekends! Check it out!
We are so grateful for the outpour of support and enthusiasm by our Rocky Trail riders through 2020 and in 2021. We have been able to deliver successful events through the support of our Community and with their assistance to ride within the constraints COVID 19 presented. We need to continue to comply to social distancing and other COVID rules to continue to run events.
- Maintain social distancing at all times in the open air event hub and when purchasing food and drinks.
- We are tracking all event participants – non-racing supporters and ANY visitor at the venue are required to sign in for an Event Access Pass ahead of the race or on the day via these links:
The Shimano GP format provides a ‘seriously fun” racing experience for all.
- Registrations open at 7:15 am and the friendly staff are there to make your racing experience as easy as possible.
- Riders will be called to the start at approximately 8:45. Councillor Glenn Tozer will be formally welcoming all riders and supports to the coast. Lets showcase the sport of Mountain Biking
- Race grid is self-seeded and we ask riders to be reasonable as no 4 or 6 hr race has ever been won in the first kilometres.
- Racing will start at 9am.
- Presentations for the 4 hr race will be as soon after 1pm as possible (approximately 1:45pm).
- Presentations for the 6hr race will be as soon as the last rider has finished their last lap.
We can wait to see you smashing it! – Remember, your race photos are included in your entry, be sure to download them after the race and share your stories using:
ABOUT the venue
What’s better than having hills with picturesque water views within 15 minutes of a Gold Coast beach? Being able to race with your mate or family on a subtropical setting.
- Venue: Peter Hallinan Mountain Bike Precinct Hinze Dam – entrance from the back gate cnr of Gilston & Duncan Road. Do not park at the main entrance of the dam or near the café as you will not gain access to the tracks or event hub.
- Event centre: A gorgeous green grass open space creates the perfect location for the Rocky Trail Event Hub. With ample room for race transition, team tents plus some onsite parking we look forward to welcoming you all to the Hub.
A combination of parking will be available on the day;
- Early arrivals will be able to park within the Hinze Dam precinct, right beside the Event Hub
- Overflow parking will then utilise the parking strip near the entrance gate or the designated offsite parking area available at 926 Gilston Road. We thank the local resident allowing parking on his property. Please respect the area and only park in the lower paddock.
- With the current registration numbers we believe we will have amply parking available so please do not park along the road side of Duncan Rd or Gilston Road. Only use the designated areas
Leaving one of the nicest event hubs you could wish for riders will descend on the “Duncan Creek Track” to the creek before a stead undulating climb takes riders up to the level of the dam. Riders will then continue up “Family loop” onto “Top Down” to crest out for the first time. About 500m of flow brings you to the start of “Bill’s Loop”. Thanks Bill! An old school XC track overlooking the Hinze Dam will loop you around back to a section of the Family loop before the riders will descend again down “Duncan Creek Track” to the event hub.
- Course length is approximately 7.3km, it has 195m climbing.
We have arranged for the tracks to be closed to the general public for the duration of the event. Please report to the CREW if you believe general public is non-compliant on race day.
For those of you, for whom this will be the first Rocky Trail event, we differ from most other events by offering a much more relaxed format.
4+6 Hour Lap Racing
Solo racers and pairs teams race for four (GP4) or six (GP6) hours across age categories for adults and junior shredders.
Age Categories + GC
Racers receive a placing in their age category and in an online General Classification (GC).
There are age-group and eBike categories.
How does it work?
- Most laps per solo rider or team in the least amount of time wins.
- The race track is closed at 1pm for 4 hour racers and at 3pm for 6 hour racers – you may still start another lap before that cut-off and that lap still counts.
- There are age-group and eBike categories – eBikers: only eBikes that conform with the Australian standards are allowed at our events.
- Expect less of a winners-only-focused competition, but a positive and inclusive experience for all racers.
Schedule – for all participants
All day The track is marked and you can practice on it but we won’t have any services (marshals, first aid) in place.
7:15-8:45 am Registration open to pick up your number plate
8.45 am Rider call up, be race ready.
9 am Race start
approx. 10 am Kids race
1.00pm Race finish – GP4 hour
2.00pm Est. Ceremony GP4 hour
3.00pm Race finish – GP6 hour
4.00pm Est. Ceremony GP6 hour
approx. 4.00pm Last Rider and Sweeper across the line and event finishes.
- You can check your race results on your phone as soon as you cross the timing mat/finish line after every lap – we have LIVE TIMING, so also everyone back home on the couch can check your racing progress throughout the day.
- When you finish your 4 or 6 hour race do check those results and laps.
- If you’re on a podium, please wait for the presentation to receive your series race plate.
What can you expect:
- A well-marked course
- Caution signs in technical areas
- Passing opportunities
- A large transition area
- Online rider briefing prior to event
- Music and medical service in case something doesn’t go to plan
- Easy registration
- And a supportive community
Come along and join the team to make the first Gold Coast QLD Shimano GP a great success!
We thank the support of the local business across the weekend;
- Food – please bring your own supplies, sadly we have not been able to secure a vendor.
- Coffee – Tarryn from Jungle Bean will be onsite serving the best coffee in the region plus drinks and snacks
- Merchandise: Available for purchase at registrations are “Race the way you ride” tee-shirts and hoodies, Rocky Trail Socks, Mudguards as well as Gu’s.
- Music: Our Rocky Trail Rradio with DJ Mista Nige powered by earSHOTS will be providing the beats to kick off racing and give you the adrenalin you need.
- Giveaways: Will be again supported by our sponsors and will have giveaways available on the day.
- Medical: Medics will be on site for the duration of event with roaming marshals out assisting across the day
- Toilets: Portable toilets will be provided at the event hub
- WATER: NO WATER IS AVAILABLE ON SITE – please bring sufficient personal supply
Outer Image Collective photographers will be on site to snap that action photo you have been dreaming about.
Rocky Trail is always looking for crew to support the riders. If you can lend a hand either Saturday or Sunday complete our online form https://rockytrailentertainment.com/home/volunteering/ or contact Jo at email@example.com to be part of the team. Riders’ luv seeing supporters at our events.
Perfect conditions for racing with a forecast of 9 to 22c for the day. Maybe a small amount of rain leading into Saturday.
Event updates during the race / weekend:
We always announce any major updates mainly via the FB event page, as well as our news blog and email newsletters:
Rider List and Results
All weekend you can find links to Rider List and LIVE Results via the drop-down menu from the event page on our website! You can check these now and throughout the weekend via your mobile devices – to reduce touch points we will not have any public display computers on-site.
General Race Regulations
- We have seen an exciting and amazing influx of new competitors at Rocky Trail events an especially as we move into new regions with our races, we want to be very clear about this: EVERY competitor has a right to be out on track.
- The fast and semi-pro racers need to be (and would be from their experience) aware that especially at a lap race, a podium position is not won by one or two seconds that you might loose by overtaking a slower rider in a respectful and friendly manner. Call out to the rider or runner ahead of you, tell them you are there and that you will move past on which side.
- For casual racers, please respect the fast guys too – sometimes the fast riders see a gap that you don’t and they have the confidence that they can overtake you safely. Trust in their judgement. – At the same time, stand your ground, no need to stop completely, move to the side and let them pass. You will find you’ll get into a flow and a rhythm.
- We appreciate every racer and we have been building the Rocky Trail community for over a decade – we are grateful to have you all racing with us.
- Chat to our Event Managers if you have any questions.
- We love to help and chat! Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
- No cheating! You need to stay on the race track. No cheating or ‘sneaky pro lines’ where you leave the track and reenter.
- Don’t litter – please take your rubbish back with you or throw it in the landfill or recycling bins we have near the registration tent.
- Toilets will be cleaned and disinfect during the day. Please let us know if they need a clean.
- Timing will be done with your timing chip – please ensure it is on your bike/attached to your chest and in the MTB that the plastic doesn’t touch any metal parts of your bike (e.g. don’t wrap the number plate around your handlebar).
- You agreed to our RACE WAIVER when you registered online – here is a link to the RACE WAIVER again
- Click here for DETAILED RACE RULES
COVID-specific Event Rules
How are we running this event and how do we keep you safe? By limiting the rider field to 300 per day you can see right away that we still err on the side of caution. So please understand if some of the rules appear harsh, but we need to ensure that we can keep racing in this new world.
- Social Distancing: Our main request is that you follow the Covid-Safe rules and regulations as laid out by the QLD Government and observe strict Social Distancing Rules throughout your race day. A lot of thought has gone into this Rider Briefing and we expect all competitors and non-racing visitors to comply with how this event will be run. It is very challenging and a privilege to host this event and participate in this race – we appreciate your cooperation.
- Every competitor and visitor in the event centre is required to Check In via the State/Territory Covid App:
Rocky Trail Covid-19 safety guidelines:
How are we running this event and how do we keep you safe?
- Social Distancing: Our main request is that you follow the Covid-Safe rules and regulations as laid out by the State Government and observe strict Social Distancing Rules throughout your race day.
- Racers AND Non-racing supporters and ANY visitor at the venue are required to sign in via the relevant smartphone app. Click here for info.
- BEFORE THE RACE: If any of the following applies please contact us immediately.
We will transfer or refund your entry but you CAN NOT PARTICIPATE in the event:
- If you are showing any signs of the cold or flu.
- If you have event the slightest fever (we have facilities on site to test and will send you home immediately if you have fever).
- Please be aware that we will and are ready to shut down and postpone the event if direct Federal or State Health orders change in the event lead up until Friday.
- For details regarding event transfers or to cancel an entry, please refer to our policy.
- PARTICIPANT TRACKING:
- Every person at the event (including non-racers) need to register.
- Racers will be tracked with race plates.
- Non-competitors will need to sign on via the State/Territory-specific Covid Safety APP system.
Enforcement of COVID Safe Plan
We recommend but won’t enforce that all event participants use the Covid Safe App to assist health authorities with tracking potentially.
Please understand that the team won’t shake hands, hug, high five or fist bump anyone and will be trying keep some distance to all riders during registration, start and finish. There will be a lot socially distance elbow bumps from us, which is almost as good .
Now, get ready!
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)