Get pumped, get frothing, get excited and RACE the way you RIDE at the
North QLD Schools MTB Comp
at Douglas MTB Reserve in Townsville QLD!
VIRTUAL RIDER BRIEFING
RIDER BRIEFING CONTENT IN WRITING
We remain grateful for the outpouring of support and enthusiasm by our Rocky Trail riders and community over the last few months.
We will continue to run Rocky Trail events in Queensland, whilst the health advice about COVID-19 permits us. We need your cooperation.
Please understand if some of the rules appear harsh but we need to ensure that we can keep racing in this new world.
ABOUT: EVENT FORMAT
Rocky Trail Entertainment in conjunction with Townsville Rockwheelers MTB Club presents the inaugural North QLD Schools Mountain Bike Comp at Douglas MTB Reserve.
This event is all about encouraging students of all abilities to come and race with their mates in a safe and social environment. They will have an exciting racing experience and enjoy a fun event atmosphere together – great memories to share! Students will have the opportunity to test their riding ability across three skill areas on the popular Mount Douglas Reserve mountain bike trails:
Endurance, Speed and Technical Skills
Ride up at your own pace.
Ride and race with your mates and meet new buddies!
For those of you, for who this will be the first Rocky Trail Academy we differ from most other events by offering a much more relaxed format.
- First, you can start when you want. Rego is open daily from 8:00am and will close for riders at 1:00pm. Timing will be activated from approximately 9:00am and you must be at a start at 1:50pm for the last race run.
- Second, you can ride the tracks in any order. Ride with your mates, even if they are in different categories, or from another school.
- You have 5 chances to get each track nailed. Don’t stress if you mess something up. Remember, it’s about the fun and the experience and getting used to this racing and competitive environment. Also, don’t forget our motto is: Race the way you ride. It is OK to get off your bike if you need to for certain sections.
- Typically, we space riders with 30sec gaps… If you want a larger gap, the starter will hold up people behind you. Just ask your friendly Rocky Trail starter.
- We’ve set up races so a first timer and have as much fun as an elite. Pin it down, and as you cross the line, you can check your phone to see your time against your mates.
- Every track will have B lines, so our novices, youngsters and learners can get down, and A Lines for those who want to commit to hitting a chute, hit a gap or send a drop.
- If you are the teacher, parent of carer of a student we welcome you as a marshal out on course, supporting all the riders.
- Our staff at rego and at the starts are there to help. Talk to them.
- Please note – we are Covid Safe compliant, your briefing will be virtual, we’ll be social distancing, the medal ceremony will be virtual and we’ll make this the safest event you’ve ever been at!
In the following, please familiarise yourself with VENUE-SPECIFIC information and scroll down for EVENT REGULATIONS with regards to our Covid Safe Plans.
ABOUT: Douglas MTB Reserve, Townsville
Event centre and parking location: Mount Douglas Reserve – Angus Smith Dr, Douglas QLD 4814
- The Pedal – Trails “Fruit Loop” and “Scrub Python” – A flat course that covers approximately 1.5 km of the twisting loop in and out of the event hub. Winner will be the strongest pedalling rider.
- It’s Technical – Trails “Rock and Roll 2 and 3”- Riders will ride up “Easy Street” to the start. They will then be tested over the approximately 1.2km of technical track with drops, jumps, rocky sections and bermed and flat corners. Winner will be the best technical rider.
- Go with the Flow – Trails “Flow Track” and lower “Scrub Python” – Riders will ride out “Fruit loop” and up “Boulderdash”. Racing will be down the 800m of “Flow Track” and into the “Scrub Python” to complete the run. Winner will be the person who can hold their form and maintain speed the best.
8 am – Event Village & Registration open
9 am – Rider call up – rider briefing will be available online
9.15 am – 2.00 pm Race runs – depending on rider numbers each category may be allocated a track and rotated during the day
1.50 pm Last Race Run
Did you know?
Rocky Trail will also have one of their most popular events in QLD on the weekend – the Fox Superflow on Saturday and Sunday!
- Open to all Secondary school students within the Central & North Queensland
- Entry cost – $40 per rider, individual registration online
- Registration closes midday 16th September 2020.
- Group/School collection of number plates can be arranged by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Riders will be grouped by gender and categories
- Juniors – Years 7 or 8,
- Intermediate – Years 9 or 10,
- Seniors – Years 11 or 12
Services and facilities:
Venue and Race Track Map: please visit the event website
Parking: A section of the Douglas Mountain Bike Reserve parking space will be utilised as the Event Hub. Additional parking will be available along Angus Smith Dr.
Catering: Rocky Trail is stoked to have a local food service provider and we strongly encourage all locals get behind and support them. The Potato Smash Street Food crew will be on site for all catering needs from 10am
- First Aid in event centre and marshals out on track
- Portable toilets
IMPORTANT EVENT DETAILS YOU MUST KNOW
We have been implementing and operating under a strict Covid-19 Safety Plan. In the following, please read and acknowledge the event-specific rules, procedures and regulations:
- If any of the following applies please contact us immediately.
We will transfer or refund your entry but you CAN NOT PARTICIPATE in the event:
- If you have been to, in the past 2 weeks, or live in Victoria
- If you have been to, in the past 2 weeks, or live in NSW
- If you live or have been to a published Covid-19 Hot Spot
- If you are showing any signs of the cold or flu
- If you have even the slightest fever (we have facilities on site to test and will send you home immediately if you have fever)
- There are a few important changes on how we run things on the day:
- ACCESS: All spectators, supporters, school staff and volunteers must register using the spectator event link.
- Competing students sign up HERE
- All spectators, supporters, school staff and volunteers sign in HERE ahead of the event
- It is extremely important to capture everyone’s attendance on the day, even it is only for 10mins.
- ARRIVAL & PARKING: When you arrive, follow the signs to the Event Hub. Overflow parking will be provided on the side streets; please respect the local residents.
- Additional parking will be available on a portion of the grass area which will be marked.
- If you are setting up a tent for riders you must respect the 4m2 rule so under a 3×3 tent there can only be 2.25 people.
- RACE PLATE: You can pick up your race plate with the timing chip between 8.00am and 1pm on YOUR race day (Friday).
- This way we avoid queues near the registration area.
- After you register you can head out on track right away, timing equipment is set up and ready for racing by 9am.
- No on the day practice, but you get 5 runs per track.
- Your fastest time counts.
- NEUTRAL TRANSITION TO STARTS: You must ride to all starts.
- Shuttles are NOT allowed on the weekend.
- Untimed liaison is via easy street to both the Fox & Lazer tracks.
- Fox track starts at the Flow local track.
- Lazer track starts at Haydens Hump.
- Stans track starting at the Event hub.
- EVENT FINISH: Last run is 1.50pm which means:
- you must be at the startline at that time.
- If there is no one there at 1.50pm we will close that track.
- RACING & ETIQUETTE: You MUST adhere to SOCIAL DISTANCING rules!
- If you queue up at the start line please do it in a single file leaving a bike length between each other.
- The queues will appear longer but move quicker.
- Please respect the signage near the starts.
- Overall we don’t expect much queuing as the field will spread quickly among the 3 tracks.
- When you finish your run please give each other as much space as possible.
- No hand-shaking permitted at event.
- Please understand that we need to be very strict on this . Non-compliance will result in revoking race access or disqualification.
- CHEERING: Keep 4m distance to the race track!
- If you ‘hackle’ or encourage other riders on their race run please do so at least 4m away from the race track.
- Shouting is a known source of virus transmission and we MUST minimise the risk there. Non-compliance will result in revoking race access or disqualification.
- RESULTS & CEREMONY:
- Race progress results are LIVE online throughout the day.
- Final results will be published online at conclusion of event.
- There won’t be an official CEREMONY to comply with social distancing laws. Medals will be presented to the fastest female/male in each category.
- Giveaways to every racer: Rocky Trail drink bottle
- FACILITIES & SERVICES:
- Water: Please bring your own drinking water – we will not have shared water.
- Catering: will be on-site; please adhere to strict social distancing rules when ordering and waiting for your order. Please follow crew and staff directions at all times.
- Toilets: toilets on-site and we will service them regularly. Disinfectant and wipes will be provided.
- First Aid: will be based in the event centre and roaming out on track.
- PERSONAL HYGIENE:
- No ‘snot rockets’ (blowing your nose without a tissue) in the vicinity of other people.
- Hand washing stations and sanitation stations are available at the venue.
- Please regularly clean your hands with an alcoholic-based hand rub or wash hands with soap and water (especially after going to bathroom, before eating, after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing).
- Riders and visitors are encouraged to wear (cycling) gloves when picking up number plates.
- Unless from the same family, we discourage you from car-pooling to the venue.
- PARTICIPANT TRACKING:
- Every person at the event (including non-racers) need to register.
- Racers will be track with race plates.
- Non-competitors will be issued a Race Access pass. Please wear the race access pass at all times.
- May we ask that you sign up non-competing supporters or visiting friends and families who are on-site with you AHEAD of the event via this link:
- ACCESS: All spectators, supporters, school staff and volunteers must register using the spectator event link.
Rider List and Results
From now on and all weekend you can find links to Rider List and LIVE Results via the drop-down menu from the EVENT PAGE on our website! You can check these now and throughout the weekend via your mobile devices – to reduce touch points we will not have any public display computers on-site.
Enforcement of COVID Safe Plan
If we see blatant breaches of those rules we will ask you to leave the event. You are not only potentially endangering other racers, but also the future of our business.
We recommend but won’t enforce that all event participants use the Covid Safe App to assist health authorities with tracking potentially.
Please understand that the team won’t shake hands, hug, high five or fist bump anyone and will be trying keep some distance to all riders during registration, start and finish. There will be a lot socially distance elbow bumps from us, which is almost as good 🙂
Download the full Covid-19 Safety Plan below and here is a summary:
The usual race rules still apply as always. In summary:
- You need to stay on the race track. No cheating or ‘sneaky pro lines’ where you leave the track and reenter.
- Don’t litter – please take your rubbish back with you or throw it in the landfill or recycling bins we have near the registration tent.
- Toilets: we will clean and disinfect them during the day. Please let us know if they need a clean.
- Timing will be done with your timing chip – please ensure it is on your bike and that the plastic doesn’t touch any metal parts of your bike (e.g. don’t wrap the number plate around your handlebar).
- If you need to pass a rider out on track please do it in a friendly and safe way. Keep in mind that you have multiple runs per track so if you get held up you can always have another go.
- You agreed to our RACE WAIVER when you registered online – here is a link to the RACE WAIVER again
- Click here for DETAILED RACE RULES
WHAT WILL NOT CHANGE
You will still have to get ready for the massive surge of adrenaline when you drop into your time race stages. When you rail those berms and fly across the trails, crossing the finish line with your heart pumping. You’re alive. You’re doing what you love. And that’s why Rocky Trail exist. So that you can RACE the way you RIDE.
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)