Your ‘EPIC’ school day on the Buller rocky trails!
This event is part of the Rocky Trail Academy junior development programme and this will be the ‘epic edition’ of the popular schools comp with timed flow trail sections. It’s fun and all about building confidence.
Geared towards secondary school students this race is on the Friday of the Mt Buller Alpenflow Epic Event Weekend. This schools event not only engages youth in healthy social and active recreation but brings a heightened appreciation of nature, the environment, self-reliance , self-learning and independence, all as part of riding a bike in the outdoors. By extension, this program also engages and educates teachers and parents.
It is all about encouraging students of all abilities to come and race with their mates in a safe and social environment. They will have an exciting racing experience and enjoy a fun event atmosphere together – great memories to share! Students will have the opportunity to test their riding ability across three skill areas on some of the most popular mountain bike trails at Mt Buller – Endurance, Speed and Technical Skills.
2021 School Point Results
Mt Buller Resort, VIC
Note: Mt Buller trails excluding those listed below are open to the public.
0700-1700 – Event Village & Registration open
0800 Course sweep deployed
0800-0815 Marshalls briefed and deployed
0830-0845 Compulsory Rider Safety Briefing (Event Village Square)
0900-1330 RACING (“Copperhead”, “Family Trail”, “Soul Revival”, “One Tree Hill”, and “Gang Gangs” are closed for racing. All other trails are open to the public.)
1345 Course sweep deployed
1345-1415 Presentations Event Village Square
1430 Schools event finishes
1500-1700 Course reconfigured for Saturday
- Open to all Secondary school students.
- Entry cost – $50 per rider, individual registration online
- Entry fee includes all rider photos ( via link to download post-event)
Riders will be grouped by gender and categories
- Juniors – Years 7 or 8,
- Intermediate – Years 9 or 10,
- Seniors – Years 11 or 12
Important: All participants must have a guardian (teacher, parent) present at the event.
Awesome: All professional race photos are included in the entry!
- Competition will consist of 3 timed sections.
- Depending on registration numbers, each age category maybe allocated to a track and rotated.
- Categories will progress to the next track after 1hr 20min.
- Tracks have been designed to test a variety of skills, including endurance, speed and technical ability.
- Riders may ride each timed section up to 5 times on each track with their fastest time counting.
- Combined best times will be totalled for the overall result for each rider.
Podiums & Prizes
- Junior Male
- Junior Female
- Intermediate Male
- Intermediate Female
- Senior Male
- Senior Female
Prizes will be awarded for the top 3 riders in each category, and Champions school.
Schools must provide a Team Manager who who is requested to watch the virtual rider briefing video, communicate to the team course specific details, help identifying parent volunteers on the day and be the emergency contact point if no parent is on site. Nominated Team Manager are requested to email Jo Parker at email@example.com to confirm role and best contact number.
May we ask that the nominated Team Managers contact our Event Manager Jo Parker via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm school, your contact details and mobile number before the event.
If your school would like to be invoiced for students registration please contact Jo to arrange a registration code. Students/Parents are encouraged to sign up online and throughout the process will be prompted to add their Team Managers name.
Student can register independently of school but need to nominate adult volunteer to support on the day.
This is a great opportunity for parents to get involved in this sport! We ask that each school supplies a minimum of one Volunteer for the whole day but the more the merrier is welcome.
Volunteers may be asked to marshal the course, watch for injured riders and rule adherence, help organise riders at the start, assist timing, or assist at registrations.
Students that register independently of school need to nominate an adult to provide event support on the day.
Riders in each category will accrue points towards an Overall Schools award.
- 1 Point will be allocated for each timed section
- “Bonus” points will be awarded to the fastest 5 riders on each track per category and for overall fastest 5 accumulated time.
- 1st -10pts, 2nd – 7pts, 3rd – 4pts, 4th – 2pts and 5th – 1pt.
- You ride up to the starts – this time does not count. Shuttling is not allowed.
- You race down on a pre-determined track. Riders are required to stay on the designated marked track. No short cutting the track even if it is not bunted – this time does count.
- Passing: being friendly out on the track goes a long way. Let the rider you are about to pass know when and on which side. E.g. “rider coming up, passing on your right when you are ready”. Then say thanks and keep on smashing it. If you are being passed find the next best place to move to the side and let them pass.
- If a race is deemed unsafe because of storm, rain, fire etc we will pause it, assess the situation and if possible restart it again when safe.
- Riders must register before they will be allowed to practice.
- Race numbers must be displayed on the handlebars of the bicycle. The number plate must be readable, so it must be fastened as flat as possible. Altering, cutting or placing of unauthorised sponsors’ logos on numbers can result in a penalty. You can keep your number plate as a memento of your race.
- All riders must wear a bike helmet that has been authorised by Australian Standards (or approved international standard) at all times when riding and racing. You will be required to wear fully enclosed foot wear and gloves are recommended.
- Riders do not have to be a member of a cycling association or club to be allowed to race.
- Riders are responsible to cover yourself for the race. If you have any questions, please contact Event Manager Jo Parker at Rocky Trail Entertainment.
- No garbage policy: please don’t litter out on the track. We will penalise you if we see you do it.
- Riders are not permitted outside assistance from spectators, officials or other riders except within designated feeding or technical assistance zones.
- Riders are required to provide assistance to injured riders by staying with the injured rider until assistance arrives and notifying the next rider to inform the next track official. Riders providing assistance will be permitted to have a rerun even if the allocated time has elapsed.
- Riders must be registered in their own name and not substitute for other riders without the prior consent of the race organiser.
For further details, please contact our Event Manager Jo Parker at email@example.com or call her on 0424 955 332.
Rocky Trail Academy News
If you have ever been to a BMX race or our 4X races that we started Rocky Trail Entertainment If you have ever been to a BMX race or our 4X races that we started with Rocky Trail Entertainment with in 2008, you know that the next sound is a big fat BEEEEEEP, the gate
A record field of over 300 competitors from 39 schools participated on the Sunshine Coast today in the biggest Rocky Trail Academy Schools MTB Comp since its launch in 2019. Girls competition Boys competition Champion School The Rocky Trail Academy programme is now supported by Shingleback Off-Road. For more Rocky Trail event dates and venues
Rocky Trail Entertainment, in conjunction with CORCA MTB club, are super proud to launch the biggest Rocky Trail Academy event in history! With over 200+ students attending, the Sunshine Coast Schools Mountain Bike Comp is guaranteed to be an awesome ‘play’ school day out on rocky trails. We look forward to welcoming new and existing schools to the
“Our recent partnership with Rocky Trail Entertainment is of great benefit for our students undertaking their Certificate III in Active Volunteering. This qualification encourages students to become active members of their community and develop their own leadership potential. The recent race allowed our students to demonstrate the qualities of an effective volunteer. They enjoyed their day assisting in the race and would definitely want to return next year! A partnership like this is crucial for Nerang as it provides students the opportunity to build their volunteering hours which are crucial in attaining the qualification. Thanks to Rocky Trail Entertainment for making this happen.“
“The Rocky Trail Academy Gold Coast Schools Competition provided a great opportunity for our students to race against each other in a friendly, fun and very social format. While students raced each stage individually, they were still racing together as a school for the overall school title. This was by far the most enjoyable school activity our students have participated in this year!”
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)