Your awesome school day out on ‘rocky trails’!
2. June – Important Event Update: Change of Venue
Apologies for the late notice but we have been advised overnight the current civil works being conducted at Jubilee Mountain Bike Park will effect our upcoming Rocky Trail Academy – Darling Downs event.
Therefore the event will be relocated to Mount Peel Mountain Bike trails (Toowoomba) with the event hub and parking located on Westminster Street Drayton. This is located on the western side of Toowoomba City centre.
Over the last 12 months new trails have been created at Mount Peel and we are looking forward to experiencing a new trail network for us all to enjoy. Rest assured the format will remain the same with three tracks, multiply runs which equal lots of fast flowy fun.
All other details will remain the same. Please share this news with all your fellow teams mates.
Any concerns or questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Jo on 0424 955 332
We look forward to seeing you all at Mount Peel tomorrow at 8.45am for our rider briefing.
The Rocky Trail Academy Team
Geared towards secondary school students this race not only engages youth in healthy social and active recreation but brings a heightened appreciation of nature, the environment, self-reliance , self-learning and independence, all as part of riding a bike in the outdoors. By extension, this program also engages and educates teachers and parents.
It is all about encouraging students of all abilities to come and race with their mates in a safe and social environment.
Excited junior racers
Kids love the flexible format and the LIVE timing. The get to spend a school day on their bike and with friends – many schools take kids to the event as a reward as part of a school MTB program.
Teachers enjoy the clear information flow in the event lead up and that info material is provided for easy communication to principals, fellow teachers and parents. The professional organization by Rocky Trail on the day is valued highly.
Parents see the value in the events – the entry fee is affordable, which includes all race photos and AusCycling insurance.
The juniors will have an exciting racing experience and enjoy a fun event atmosphere together – great memories to share! Students will have the opportunity to test their riding ability across three skill areas on some of the most popular mountain bike trails – Endurance, Speed and Technical Skills.
The event hub and parking is located on Westminster Street, Drayton
is the Darla local track – This track is long, windy with lots of fun bits, picked to be the favourite of the day – 1.7KM
is the Gumbi Gumbi local track – Short and sweet – 1.1KM
is the Wakka Wakka local track – a pedal feast that the gravity rider will not like but the Cross Country racer will love – 2.OKM
|Event Village & Registration open||8:00 AM|
|Rider Briefing||8:50 AM|
|Race Runs – depending on rider numbers each category may be allocated a track and rotated during the day||9:00 – 1:30 PM|
|Last Race Run||1:30 PM|
|Podium Presentations||1:45 PM|
- Open to all Secondary school students.
- Entry cost – $50 per rider, individual registration online
- Entry fee includes all rider photos ( via link to download post-event)
- Group student registration is available – contact email@example.com to arrange
Riders will be grouped by gender and categories
- Juniors – Years 7 or 8,
- Intermediate – Years 9 or 10,
- Seniors – Years 11 or 12
Important: All participants must have a guardian (teacher, parent) present at the event.
This is an Aus Cycling sanctioned event with all registered riders and volunteers covered under Public Liability/Personal Accident
Professional race photos included!
- Competition will consist of 3 timed sections.
- Tracks have been designed to test a variety of skills, including endurance, speed and technical ability.
- Riders may ride each timed section up to 5 times on each track with their fastest time counting.
- Combined best times will be totalled for the overall result for each rider.
We’ll have essentials like coffee, food and refreshments available through our local business partners. Full details will be published closer to the event.
Podiums & Prizes
Prizes will be awarded for the top 3 riders in each category, and Champion School.
- Junior Male
- Junior Female
- Intermediate Male
- Intermediate Female
- Senior Male
- Senior Female
Schools must provide a Team Manager who who is requested to watch the virtual rider briefing video, communicate to the team course specific details, help identifying parent volunteers on the day and be the emergency contact point if no parent is on site. Nominated Team Manager are requested to email Jo Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm role and best contact number.
May we ask that the nominated Team Managers contact our Event Manager Jo Parker via email at email@example.com to confirm school, your contact details and mobile number before the event.
If your school would like to be invoiced for students registration please contact Jo to arrange a registration code. Students/Parents are encouraged to sign up online and throughout the process will be prompted to add their Team Managers name.
Student can register independently of school but need to nominate adult volunteer to support on the day.
This is a great opportunity for parents to get involved in this sport!
We ask that each school supplies a minimum of one Volunteer for the whole day but the more the merrier is welcome. Volunteers may be asked to marshal the course, watch for injured riders and rule adherence, help organise riders at the start, assist timing, or assist at registrations.
Students that register independently of school need to nominate an adult to provide event support on the day.
For more information, visit our “Volunteer” and get in contact.
Riders in each category will accrue points towards an Overall Schools award.
- 1 Point will be allocated for each timed section
- “Bonus” points will be awarded to the fastest 5 riders on each track per category and for overall fastest 5 accumulated time.
- 1st -10pts, 2nd – 7pts, 3rd – 4pts, 4th – 2pts and 5th – 1pt.
Champion School Points Table
We can’t wait to see which school will take out this year’s Champion School title!
- You ride up to the starts – this time does not count. Shuttling or towing is not allowed.
- You race down on a pre-determined track. Riders are required to stay on the designated marked track. No short cutting the track even if it is not bunted – this time does count.
- Passing: being friendly out on the track goes a long way. Let the rider you are about to pass know when and on which side. E.g. “rider coming up, passing on your right when you are ready”. Then say thanks and keep on smashing it. If you are being passed find the next best place to move to the side and let them pass.
- If a race is deemed unsafe because of storm, rain, fire etc we will pause it, assess the situation and if possible restart it again when safe.
- Riders must register before they will be allowed to practice.
- Race numbers must be displayed on the handlebars of the bicycle. The number plate must be readable, so it must be fastened as flat as possible. Altering, cutting or placing of unauthorised sponsors’ logos on numbers can result in a penalty. You can keep your number plate as a memento of your race.
- All riders must wear a bike helmet that has been authorised by Australian Standards (or approved international standard) at all times when riding and racing. You will be required to wear fully enclosed foot wear and gloves are recommended.
- Riders do not have to be a member of a cycling association or club to be allowed to race.
- Riders are responsible to cover yourself for the race. If you have any questions, please contact Event Manager Jo Parker at Rocky Trail Entertainment.
- No garbage policy: please don’t litter out on the track. We will penalise you if we see you do it.
- Riders are not permitted outside assistance from spectators, officials or other riders except within designated feeding or technical assistance zones.
- Riders are required to provide assistance to injured riders by staying with the injured rider until assistance arrives and notifying the next rider to inform the next track official. Riders providing assistance will be permitted to have a rerun even if the allocated time has elapsed.
- Riders must be registered in their own name and not substitute for other riders without the prior consent of the race organiser.
For further details, please contact our Event Manager Jo Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her on 0424 955 332.
Rocky Trail Academy News
This event is part of the Rocky Trail Academy junior development programme, sponsored by Shingleback Off-Road and Sendy Gear. Following the great success of 2021 the crew are excited to be returning back to Rowallan Park Mackay for the 2nd Rocky Trail Academy for CQ regional schools and students to attend. This popular schools comp
We invite you to explore beautiful Mackay while you’re in the region for our event weekend! A perfect getaway for families, couples or the single traveller, The Mackay Region can offer natural experiences, fun-filled adventures or pure relaxation with a backdrop of gorgeous scenery and amazing sunsets. Whether it’s inland, on the coast or in
Rocky Trail Entertainment will host two mountain bike events in Toowoomba for the first time this Winter. As one of the major private race organisers in Australia, Rocky Trail will host two of their unique event formats in town. The action will kick off with the Rocky Trail Academy Schools Competition tomorrow, Friday 3 June
“Our recent partnership with Rocky Trail Entertainment is of great benefit for our students undertaking their Certificate III in Active Volunteering. This qualification encourages students to become active members of their community and develop their own leadership potential. The recent race allowed our students to demonstrate the qualities of an effective volunteer. They enjoyed their day assisting in the race and would definitely want to return next year! A partnership like this is crucial for Nerang as it provides students the opportunity to build their volunteering hours which are crucial in attaining the qualification. Thanks to Rocky Trail Entertainment for making this happen.“
“The Rocky Trail Academy Gold Coast Schools Competition provided a great opportunity for our students to race against each other in a friendly, fun and very social format. While students raced each stage individually, they were still racing together as a school for the overall school title. This was by far the most enjoyable school activity our students have participated in this year!”
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)