Your awesome school day out on ‘rocky trails’!
RACE POSTPONED – NEW DATE 11.09.2022
Race update 1. March 2022: unfortunately with all the current and forecast rain we won’t be able to hold the GD Champs on it’s original date. All registered riders will receive a full refund and we hope to welcome you on the new date.
We hate postponing events but in this instance La Niña got the upper hand and there is no other option to ensure a fun and safe race.
This event is part of the Rocky Trail Academy junior development programme and this will be NSW launch of the popular schools comp with timed flow trail sections. It’s fun and all about building confidence.
Geared towards secondary school students this race is the NSW Rocky Trail Academy launch on a Sunday and not only engages youth in healthy social and active recreation but brings a heightened appreciation of nature, the environment, self-reliance , self-learning and independence, all as part of riding a bike in the outdoors. By extension, this program also engages and educates teachers and parents.
It is all about encouraging students of all abilities to come and race with their mates in a safe and social environment.
Excited junior racers
Kids love the flexible format and the LIVE timing. The get to spend a school day on their bike and with friends – many schools take kids to the event as a reward as part of a school MTB program.
Teachers enjoy the clear information flow in the event lead up and that info material is provided for easy communication to principals, fellow teachers and parents. The professional organization by Rocky Trail on the day is valued highly.
Parents see the value in the events – the entry fee is affordable, which includes all race photos and AusCycling insurance.
The juniors will have an exciting racing experience and enjoy a fun event atmosphere together – great memories to share! Students will have the opportunity to test their riding ability across three skill areas on some of the most popular mountain bike trails at Welby MTB Park – Endurance, Speed and Technical Skills.
This event will launch the Rocky Trail Academy Junior Development Programme in NSW and as the “GD Champs”. It will be held as a continuation of the original inter-schools event held at Welby commemorating the late George Dummer, a talented junior mountain biker. The event was originally held by the local Southern Highlands Oxley College and Chevalier College and we are honoured that our team may play a small part in celebrating George’s memory. Scroll down for more information about previous GD Champs events.
Welby MTB Track, Bowral NSW
This is the home track for Southern Highlands Cycle Club. the trails are mostly single track with a little bit of fire trails included. The trails are located on the edge of the township of Welby, just to the south of Mittagong and close enough to the Mittagong train station for a warm up ride to trailhead. Full map coming soon.
0700-1700 – Event Village & Registration open
0800 Course sweep deployed
0800-0815 Marshalls briefed and deployed
0830-0845 Compulsory Rider Safety Briefing (Event Village Square)
1345 Course sweep deployed
1345-1415 Presentations Event Hub
1430 Event finishes
- Open to all Secondary school students.
- Entry cost – $50 per rider, individual registration online
- Entry fee includes all rider photos ( via link to download post-event)
Riders will be grouped by gender and categories
- Juniors – Years 7 or 8,
- Intermediate – Years 9 or 10,
- Seniors – Years 11 or 12
Important: All participants must have a guardian (teacher, parent) present at the event.
Awesome: All professional race photos are included in the entry!
- Competition will consist of 3 timed sections.
- Depending on registration numbers, each age category maybe allocated to a track and rotated.
- Categories will progress to the next track after 1hr 20min.
- Tracks have been designed to test a variety of skills, including endurance, speed and technical ability.
- Riders may ride each timed section up to 5 times on each track with their fastest time counting.
- Combined best times will be totalled for the overall result for each rider.
Got an issue with your bike during the event, Cranky Petes Bike Works will be on hand to get you back on track.
Podiums & Prizes
- Junior Male
- Junior Female
- Intermediate Male
- Intermediate Female
- Senior Male
- Senior Female
Prizes will be awarded for the top 3 riders in each category, and Champions school.
Schools must provide a Team Manager who who is requested to watch the virtual rider briefing video, communicate to the team course specific details, help identifying parent volunteers on the day and be the emergency contact point if no parent is on site. Nominated Team Manager are requested to email Jo Parker at email@example.com to confirm role and best contact number.
May we ask that the nominated Team Managers contact our Event Manager Jo Parker via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm school, your contact details and mobile number before the event.
If your school would like to be invoiced for students registration please contact Jo to arrange a registration code. Students/Parents are encouraged to sign up online and throughout the process will be prompted to add their Team Managers name.
Student can register independently of school but need to nominate adult volunteer to support on the day.
This is a great opportunity for parents to get involved in this sport! We ask that each school supplies a minimum of one Volunteer for the whole day but the more the merrier is welcome.
Volunteers may be asked to marshal the course, watch for injured riders and rule adherence, help organise riders at the start, assist timing, or assist at registrations.
Students that register independently of school need to nominate an adult to provide event support on the day.
Riders in each category will accrue points towards an Overall Schools award.
- 1 Point will be allocated for each timed section
- “Bonus” points will be awarded to the fastest 5 riders on each track per category and for overall fastest 5 accumulated time.
- 1st -10pts, 2nd – 7pts, 3rd – 4pts, 4th – 2pts and 5th – 1pt.
- You ride up to the starts – this time does not count. Shuttling is not allowed.
- You race down on a pre-determined track. Riders are required to stay on the designated marked track. No short cutting the track even if it is not bunted – this time does count.
- Passing: being friendly out on the track goes a long way. Let the rider you are about to pass know when and on which side. E.g. “rider coming up, passing on your right when you are ready”. Then say thanks and keep on smashing it. If you are being passed find the next best place to move to the side and let them pass.
- If a race is deemed unsafe because of storm, rain, fire etc we will pause it, assess the situation and if possible restart it again when safe.
- Riders must register before they will be allowed to practice.
- Race numbers must be displayed on the handlebars of the bicycle. The number plate must be readable, so it must be fastened as flat as possible. Altering, cutting or placing of unauthorised sponsors’ logos on numbers can result in a penalty. You can keep your number plate as a memento of your race.
- All riders must wear a bike helmet that has been authorised by Australian Standards (or approved international standard) at all times when riding and racing. You will be required to wear fully enclosed foot wear and gloves are recommended.
- Riders do not have to be a member of a cycling association or club to be allowed to race.
- Riders are responsible to cover yourself for the race. If you have any questions, please contact Event Manager Jo Parker at Rocky Trail Entertainment.
- No garbage policy: please don’t litter out on the track. We will penalise you if we see you do it.
- Riders are not permitted outside assistance from spectators, officials or other riders except within designated feeding or technical assistance zones.
- Riders are required to provide assistance to injured riders by staying with the injured rider until assistance arrives and notifying the next rider to inform the next track official. Riders providing assistance will be permitted to have a rerun even if the allocated time has elapsed.
- Riders must be registered in their own name and not substitute for other riders without the prior consent of the race organiser.
For further details, please contact our Event Manager Jo Parker at email@example.com or call her on 0424 955 332.
About the GD Champs
The GD Champs was originally founded as an inter-school mountain bike relay race that commemorates George Dummer, a talented mountain biker and all round local legend from the Southern Highlands of NSW, who tragically passed away in 2020, aged 14. The inaugural event included Oxley College and Chevalier College.
In 2022 the GD Champs committee has asked Rocky Trail to help continue the event and we look forward to welcoming school teams from all over to the GD Champs-Edition of our Rocky Trail Academy race at Welby.
by Meaghan Stanton
“George was one of those people who could do things that most of us can’t. Maybe it was because he had a thirst for adventure that knew no bounds or perhaps it was his supreme level of coordination. It was probably both, mixed with a “go hard or go home” attitude, an optimistic outlook and the encouragement and support of his beautiful family that gave him the confidence to fly high! George absolutely lived and breathed bikes, dreaming of becoming a professional freestyle and downhill mountain biker one day. And he was well on the way with solid results in downhill races and an impressive number of aerial freestyle tricks for one so young.
“George was a down to earth, good-natured bloke, with a wicked sense of humour and a cheeky smile that endeared him to all. A sudden fatal heart attack just short of his 15th birthday has left a hole in the world that can never be filled. The GD Champs is held in loving memory of George with the Rocky Trail Academy, as a celebration of what he loved best – getting together with mates to ride bikes, make memories and have a go!”
Rocky Trail Academy News
Local domination in Mackay: Ethan Weiss wins Fox Superflow® gravity enduro The line-up at the Fox Superflow® was small, but close racing offered a thrilling competition. With almost half of the competitive field visiting from out of the Mackay region, Rocky Trail’s flagship gravity enduro race on the weekend was dominated by local rider Ethan
This event is part of the Rocky Trail Academy junior development programme, sponsored by Shingleback Off-Road and Sendy Gear. Following the great success of 2021 the crew are excited to be returning back to Rowallan Park Mackay for the 2nd Rocky Trail Academy for CQ regional schools and students to attend. This popular schools comp
We invite you to explore beautiful Mackay while you’re in the region for our event weekend! A perfect getaway for families, couples or the single traveller, The Mackay Region can offer natural experiences, fun-filled adventures or pure relaxation with a backdrop of gorgeous scenery and amazing sunsets. Whether it’s inland, on the coast or in
“Our recent partnership with Rocky Trail Entertainment is of great benefit for our students undertaking their Certificate III in Active Volunteering. This qualification encourages students to become active members of their community and develop their own leadership potential. The recent race allowed our students to demonstrate the qualities of an effective volunteer. They enjoyed their day assisting in the race and would definitely want to return next year! A partnership like this is crucial for Nerang as it provides students the opportunity to build their volunteering hours which are crucial in attaining the qualification. Thanks to Rocky Trail Entertainment for making this happen.“
“The Rocky Trail Academy Gold Coast Schools Competition provided a great opportunity for our students to race against each other in a friendly, fun and very social format. While students raced each stage individually, they were still racing together as a school for the overall school title. This was by far the most enjoyable school activity our students have participated in this year!”
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)