Have school day out on ‘rocky trails’!
Rocky Trail Entertainment in conjunction with CORCA MTB Club presents the Sunshine Coast Schools Mountain Bike Comp at Sugarbag Mountain Bike Park, Caloundra.
Geared towards secondary school students this race not only engages youth in healthy social and active recreation but brings a heightened appreciation of nature, the environment, self-reliance , self-learning and independence, all as part of riding a bike in the outdoors. By extension, this program also engages and educates teachers and parents.
It is all about encouraging students of all abilities to come and race with their mates in a safe and social environment.
Excited junior racers
Kids love the flexible format and the LIVE timing. The get to spend a school day on their bike and with friends – many schools take kids to the event as a reward as part of a school MTB program.
Teachers enjoy the clear information flow in the event lead up and that info material is provided for easy communication to principals, fellow teachers and parents. The professional organization by Rocky Trail on the day is valued highly.
Parents see the value in the events – the entry fee is affordable, which includes all race photos and AusCycling insurance.
The juniors will have an exciting racing experience and enjoy a fun event atmosphere together – great memories to share! Students will have the opportunity to test their riding ability across three skill areas on some of the most popular mountain bike trails – Endurance, Speed and Technical Skills.
Sugar Bag MTB Trails – Sugar Bag Rd, Caloundra West QLD 4551
Situated in the middle of Caloundra the Sugarbag Mountain Bike Trails are a perfect location to stage Rocky Trail’s first Shimano MTB GP on the Sunshine Coast: an amazing array of trails, a dedicated local club with the Caloundra Off Road Cycling Association (CORCA) plus a council committed to ongoing investment into the sport of Mountain Biking – you will love it as much as we do, we’re sure!
Proposed course for 2022
We will have three tracks on offer utilising.
- FOX – Starting on Milky Way before diverting into Golden Rough then on to Rocky Road.
- STAN’S – Starting on Milky Way before entering into Syrup.
- LAZER – Party Mix loop.
Liaison stage will be back to event hub via Willy Wonka & Sour Power.
Course is subject to change depending on trail conditions at the time of racing.
The new redevelopment has limited onsite parking, therefore we have created a Stop, Drop and Go zone for all riders to utilise. Arrive early to allow enough time to park and return to the event hub for registration and racing.
Offsite Parking areas available are:
- Caloundra High School Carpark
- Power Line easement access from Mark Road East (lower industrial area)
- Street parking Mark Road & Enterprise Road (Note – Sugarbag Road is a no parking area)
|Event Village & Registration open||7:30 AM|
|Rider Briefing||8:50 AM|
|Race Runs – depending on rider numbers each category may be allocated a track and rotated during the day||9:00 – 1:30 PM|
|Last Race Run||1:30 PM|
|Podium Presentations||1:45 PM|
- Live timing – Live timing will be available here
- First Aid
A big shout-out to Hit Bikes for providing mechanical support on race day! is a Sunshine Coast based mountain bike specialist business that was originally established in Moffat Beach and is now located right next to the local Caloundra mountain bike trail network at Sugarbag Road.
- Open to all Secondary school students.
- Entry cost – $50 per rider, individual registration online
- Entry fee includes all rider photos ( via link to download post-event)
- Group student registration is available – contact email@example.com to arrange
Riders will be grouped by gender and categories
- Juniors – Years 7 or 8,
- Intermediate – Years 9 or 10,
- Seniors – Years 11 or 12
Important: All participants must have a guardian (teacher, parent) present at the event.
This is an Aus Cycling sanctioned event with all registered riders and volunteers covered under Public Liability/Personal Accident
Professional race photos included!
- Competition will consist of 3 timed sections.
- Tracks have been designed to test a variety of skills, including endurance, speed and technical ability.
- Riders may ride each timed section up to 5 times on each track with their fastest time counting.
- Combined best times will be totalled for the overall result for each rider.
We’ll have essentials like coffee, food and refreshments available through our local business partners. Full details will be published closer to the event.
Podiums & Prizes
Prizes will be awarded for the top 3 riders in each category, and Champion School.
- Junior Male
- Junior Female
- Intermediate Male
- Intermediate Female
- Senior Male
- Senior Female
Schools must provide a Team Manager who who is requested to watch the virtual rider briefing video, communicate to the team course specific details, help identifying parent volunteers on the day and be the emergency contact point if no parent is on site. Nominated Team Manager are requested to email Jo Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm role and best contact number.
May we ask that the nominated Team Managers contact our Event Manager Jo Parker via email at email@example.com to confirm school, your contact details and mobile number before the event.
If your school would like to be invoiced for students registration please contact Jo to arrange a registration code. Students/Parents are encouraged to sign up online and throughout the process will be prompted to add their Team Managers name.
Student can register independently of school but need to nominate adult volunteer to support on the day.
This is a great opportunity for parents to get involved in this sport!
We ask that each school supplies a minimum of one Volunteer for the whole day but the more the merrier is welcome. Volunteers may be asked to marshal the course, watch for injured riders and rule adherence, help organise riders at the start, assist timing, or assist at registrations.
Students that register independently of school need to nominate an adult to provide event support on the day.
For more information, visit our “Volunteer” and get in contact.
Riders in each category will accrue points towards an Overall Schools award.
- 1 Point will be allocated for each timed section
- “Bonus” points will be awarded to the fastest 5 riders on each track per category and for overall fastest 5 accumulated time.
- 1st -10pts, 2nd – 7pts, 3rd – 4pts, 4th – 2pts and 5th – 1pt.
Champion School Points Table
We can’t wait to see which school will take out this year’s Champion School title!
- You ride up to the starts – this time does not count. Shuttling or towing is not allowed.
- You race down on a pre-determined track. Riders are required to stay on the designated marked track. No short cutting the track even if it is not bunted – this time does count.
- Passing: being friendly out on the track goes a long way. Let the rider you are about to pass know when and on which side. E.g. “rider coming up, passing on your right when you are ready”. Then say thanks and keep on smashing it. If you are being passed find the next best place to move to the side and let them pass.
- If a race is deemed unsafe because of storm, rain, fire etc we will pause it, assess the situation and if possible restart it again when safe.
- Riders must register before they will be allowed to practice.
- Race numbers must be displayed on the handlebars of the bicycle. The number plate must be readable, so it must be fastened as flat as possible. Altering, cutting or placing of unauthorised sponsors’ logos on numbers can result in a penalty. You can keep your number plate as a memento of your race.
- All riders must wear a bike helmet that has been authorised by Australian Standards (or approved international standard) at all times when riding and racing. You will be required to wear fully enclosed foot wear and gloves are recommended.
- Riders do not have to be a member of a cycling association or club to be allowed to race.
- Riders are responsible to cover yourself for the race. If you have any questions, please contact Event Manager Jo Parker at Rocky Trail Entertainment.
- No garbage policy: please don’t litter out on the track. We will penalise you if we see you do it.
- Riders are not permitted outside assistance from spectators, officials or other riders except within designated feeding or technical assistance zones.
- Riders are required to provide assistance to injured riders by staying with the injured rider until assistance arrives and notifying the next rider to inform the next track official. Riders providing assistance will be permitted to have a rerun even if the allocated time has elapsed.
- Riders must be registered in their own name and not substitute for other riders without the prior consent of the race organiser.
For further details, please contact our Event Manager Jo Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her on 0424 955 332.
School Point Score 2020
“Our recent partnership with Rocky Trail Entertainment is of great benefit for our students undertaking their Certificate III in Active Volunteering. This qualification encourages students to become active members of their community and develop their own leadership potential. The recent race allowed our students to demonstrate the qualities of an effective volunteer. They enjoyed their day assisting in the race and would definitely want to return next year! A partnership like this is crucial for Nerang as it provides students the opportunity to build their volunteering hours which are crucial in attaining the qualification. Thanks to Rocky Trail Entertainment for making this happen.“
“The Rocky Trail Academy Gold Coast Schools Competition provided a great opportunity for our students to race against each other in a friendly, fun and very social format. While students raced each stage individually, they were still racing together as a school for the overall school title. This was by far the most enjoyable school activity our students have participated in this year!”
The Rocky Trail Academy events are now sponsored by Shingleback Offroad!
Shingleback Off-Road is simply put a great fit with the programme – firstly, because it is an all-Australian company founded by a MTB riding and racing family. They are all about getting out there and having fun – just like we do and it’s what inspired the Rocky Trail Academy events. The Shingleback racks are designed to be a simple tool to get you where you really want to be quickly, safely and with minimal fuss! Find out more…
Want to know more about Shingleback? Interested in getting a bike rack or bike trailer for your school or riding group?
Find out more…
We proudly announce that Shingleback Off-Road as sponsor for the Rocky Trail Academy photos and Fox Superflow® event race track preview videos! The Rocky Trail Academy junior development programme is quickly establishing itself as a major component of our events portfolio and has claimed an even bigger part of our hearts. For us it’s all about
Join the Rocky Trail community
Sign up to our newsletter and we will keep you posted about everything that is happing in Queensland and the Rocky Trail Community!
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)