The Rocky Trail Academy lap race for little shredders.
Rocky Trail offers fun and free kids time trial races around the event centre at most cross-country events but this is a stand-alone race just for juniors – race track, number plates, timing chips and all! We’re really excited to pin number plates on those juniors’ handlebars and get them onto a real Rocky Trail race track! We will create a fun and nurturing atmosphere with music and little giveaways to reward the children for their achievements and for being brave.
The Rocky Trail Weekend Junior MTB Grand Prix is for little shredders from as young as five to under 15! This is a traditional XC lap race, where the juniors can pick however many laps they want to do. The system will not enforce age group or genders and riders and parents can choose, which distance they believe their juniors are comfortable racing.
Please find below a general guide to our classifications and challenges offered, including the distance and an estimation of the race duration for each to assist deciding which event is for your Rocky Trail Racer:
- Tough Two Race – short loop x 2
Targeted to the youngest riders (under 8’s) with a duration of between 10minutes and 20minutes.
- Mighty Three Race – short loop x 3
Targeted to U10 and strong U8 riders and an expected duration of 15minutes to 25minutes.
- Feisty Four Race – short loop x 4 Targeted to U10 with an expected duration of 20minutes to 30minutes.
- Strong Six Race – long loop x 3
Targeted to U13 and strong U10 riders and an expected duration of 25minutes to 35minutes.
- Flying Eight Race – long loop x 4
Targeted to U15 and U13 with an expected duration of 30minutes to 45minutes.
Entry fee: $25
For your race entry of only $25 every rider will receive a Rocky Trail drink bottle for participation in the Junior MTB GP as well as the race plate as a memento. We will not be awarding prizes for winners.
For riders older than 15 who wish to “Be a #rockytrailracer” too we are hosting the Shimano MTB Grand Prix 4 and 6 hour race at Daisy Hill (solos or pairs) on the Saturday.
Check out the junior solo and team categories that we offer in the “big GP” here: >> Shimano MTB GP Categories
Event centre and parking location: Cnr Ford Road and Avalon Roads – Sheldon QLD 4157
Important: This event features the awesome Daisy Hill MTB Trails – please take note of the event centre location, which is based at the trail head on the corner of Ford and Avalon Roads (near Karreman Quarry).
Parking and event centre
Rocky trail has secured the use of private land owned by the Karreman Quarries to provide safe parking option for competitors and supporters.
- Access to parking: This area is immediately to the north of the entrance to the existing Ford Rd Carpark and trail head on the corner of Ford and Avalon Roads.
- Event centre access: Walk in to the Event Hub is approximately 200m from the Ford Rd Carpark
About the race tracks
- Short loop – From the event Hub down Mallee -Pluncket fire road to turn left onto “Grasstrees West” connect with the Link to head over to the short climb up the “Grasstree East” back to the Event hub. 1.1km long (800m of single track)
- Long Loop – From the event Hub down Mallee -Pluncket fire road to turn left onto “Grasstrees West” to the Mallee -Pluncket fire road before a left turn onto Buhot Creek Circuit and left again onto Quarry Rd break, before doing the full length of “Grasstree East” back to the event hub. 2.2km long (1.6km single track)
8:00am Registrations Open
9:00am Tough Two Race – short loop x 2
9:30am Mighty Three Race – short loop x 3
10:10am Feisty Four Race – short loop x 4
11:00am Strong Six Race – long loop x 3
11:45am Flying Eight Race – long loop x 4
12:30am Event Closed
Parent helpers will be needed on the day to support kids around the race track. Email email@example.com if you are available to help. Find out more about Rocky Trail’s volunteer program on our “Join the Crew” page.
- Passing: being friendly out on the track goes a long way. Let the rider you are about to pass know when and on which side. E.g. “rider coming up, passing on your right when you are ready”. Then say thanks and keep on smashing it. If you are being passed find the next best place to move to the side and let them pass.
- If a race is deemed unsafe because of storm, rain, fire etc we will pause it, assess the situation and if possible restart it again when safe.
- Riders must register before they will be allowed to practice.
- Race numbers must be displayed on the handlebars of the bicycle. The number plate must be readable, so it must be fastened as flat as possible. Altering, cutting or placing of unauthorised sponsors’ logos on numbers can result in a penalty. You can keep your number plate as a memento of your race.
- All riders must wear a bike helmet that has been authorised by Australian Standards (or approved international standard) at all times when riding and racing. You will be required to wear fully enclosed foot wear and gloves are recommended.
- Riders do not have to be a member of a cycling association or club to be allowed to race.
- Riders are responsible to organise insurance cover for the race, if you wish. If you have any questions, please contact Event Manager Jo Parker at Rocky Trail Entertainment.
- No garbage policy: please don’t litter out on the track. We will penalise you if we see you do it.
- Riders are required to provide assistance to injured riders by staying with the injured rider until assistance arrives and notifying the next rider to inform the next track official. Riders providing assistance will be permitted to have a re-run even if the allocated time has elapsed.
- Riders must be registered in their own name and not substitute for other riders without the prior consent of the race organiser.
Event alert Saturday:
We are prepping the events for November and December and aim to offer: the final 2021 NSW/ACT Series round of the Shimano MTB GP in Nowra, the final 2021 NSW/ACT Series round of the Fox Superflow at Awaba MTB Park near Newcastle and the JetBlack 24 in Rydal in Lithgow NSW. Scroll down for information
If you have ever been to a BMX race or our 4X races that we started Rocky Trail Entertainment If you have ever been to a BMX race or our 4X races that we started with Rocky Trail Entertainment with in 2008, you know that the next sound is a big fat BEEEEEEP, the gate
Another race sensation at Sugar Bag as an U15 Male Pair takes the O.U.T.R.I.G.H.T. 4 hour win – Thomas Waites and Lachlan Pennisi absolutely smashing it out on the course! The talented XC guns have been raising eye brows these last few months on race tracks all across Queensland – we’ll be watching those names
“Our recent partnership with Rocky Trail Entertainment is of great benefit for our students undertaking their Certificate III in Active Volunteering. This qualification encourages students to become active members of their community and develop their own leadership potential. The recent race allowed our students to demonstrate the qualities of an effective volunteer. They enjoyed their day assisting in the race and would definitely want to return next year! A partnership like this is crucial for Nerang as it provides students the opportunity to build their volunteering hours which are crucial in attaining the qualification. Thanks to Rocky Trail Entertainment for making this happen.“
“The Rocky Trail Academy Gold Coast Schools Competition provided a great opportunity for our students to race against each other in a friendly, fun and very social format. While students raced each stage individually, they were still racing together as a school for the overall school title. This was by far the most enjoyable school activity our students have participated in this year!”
Join the Rocky Trail community
Sign up to our newsletter and we will keep you posted about everything that is happing in Queensland and the Rocky Trail Community!
For further details, please contact our Event Manager Jo Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her on 0424 955 332.
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)