Rain mid-week was keeping all on their toes in anticipation of first Rocky trail QLD GP for 2021, but then sunshine beamed from Thurs across the weekend providing great conditions for racing with some flowing creeks, which provided an additional challenge for the racers.
Riders flowed back into the Daisy Hill site early Sat morning allowing a relaxed feel on the day. And what a great line-up of female #rockytrailracers again at Daisy Hill in Logan! Congratulations to the 4-hour solo winner Nicola Bullock who clocked in 8 laps in 4:12:31, six and a half minutes aheada of Caitlin Dore and Corinne Dolan came in third. In the 6 hour it was Michelle Woods who took out the female solo win with 11 laps in 6:05:42 ahead of Chrissy Turnbull.
The fastest lap time of the day was completed by Holly Lubke in 25:20. The young ung went through in 9th place into the single track before retiring early on the 2nd lap due to not feeling well.
Kudos to 18-year old Darcy Harris from Tweed Heads for taking out the solo 4 hour GC title at Daisy Hill in Logan on the weekend plus finished third in the outright line-honours behind two pairs teams. And on top of it all it was a sprint finish after 10 laps in 4:03:08 with fellow 18-29 age group racer Kyle Steward from Brisbane. With Kyle leading for eight laps, only one second separated the two in the end.
Other race highlights:
- Giant Indooroopilly junior team Rory Larson and Luke Wadsworth took 3rd in the GP4 teams behind father and son team Chris & Tobi Thompson representing Just Ride Nerang, one lap behind winners Leathers & Lycra Patrick Flood and Mike Jones.
- Close racing in the GP4 team 40-49 of with Tallman and Smallman, Chris Hansson and Tim McNaughton taking the lead in the last lap from the Double D’s, Michael Driesenaar and Neil Duke. Chris left Tim the work in the last lap and he produced to take the lead and extend it to over a minute ahead of a broken Michael.
- Close racing also in the GP4 female team– with Shazza a Bella (Sharon Heap & Isabella St Pierre) only 1 min 35 ahead of big cat and bingles (Michelle Gane and Catherine O’Neill)
- GP^ Women had Michelle Wood lead the charge ahead of Chrissy Turnbull. Michelle placing 7th in the GC with Chrissy 8th.
- Daniel Schlick took the line honours and could rack his cue with 10mins to spare knowing he couldn’t be beaten ahead of Ralph heading. Total of 13laps
In the 6-hour the “Bikey Bikey Boyz” Pair finished most laps taking the outright line honours with 16 laps in 6:16:28. In second was the 6-hour solo men’s winner with 13 laps in 5:50:30 – Jetblack Team racer Daniel Schilk from Rochedale South. Ralph Heading came in second in the solo men’s and Lachlan Murray was in third.
The GP6 Male teams faced a race within the race: The Bikey Bikey Boyz from Giant Nerang, Booby Blinco & Camron Holling looking to be in the lead overall at the end of the 4hr before kicking on to 6. Close but no cigar… with Leather and Lycra Patrick Flood and Mike Jones ruining the plan – being less than 4mins in front to grab the GP4 GC result. The Bikey Bike boys completed the day with 16laps = 131km for the day.
We’d like to thank the Logan City Council for their support and Councillor Lisa Bradley from joining us at Daisy Hill on Saturday morning. Clr Bradley was impressed by the line-up of racers and the Rocky Trail set up saying,
“160 riders from far away as Sydney and Rockhampton participated in the first of a series of Rocky Trail Entertainment Shimano GP mountain bike events. The cross-country endurance lap racing event was held at Daisy Hill Conservation Park. What a great honour to have such an amazing event in our city!”
Photos from the race are now online on the Outer Image Collective portal! Remember, they are included in your entry, so download them now!
Use #rockytrailracer and #shimanomtbgp so we can follow your race stories!
Race report coming soon.
All Daisy Hill results are available via
For all 2021 venues, dates & event information visit
Photos may be used for free with image credits “Photo: Rocky Trail/OuterImage.com.au” for coverage of Rocky Trail events only. For more information, interview opportunities or high-res images for news coverage, please contact our Marketing Director Juliane Wisata on 0416 737 972 or via email email@example.com