Shimano Grand Prix MTB Race Guide
This is mountain bike racing at its best!
Are you up for the challenge, in for an adventure or will you be our endurance hero? Race the way you ride with Shimano Grand Prix!
What Is Shimano Grand Prix Racing?
These cross-country events are normally run on an 8-10km circuit for solo racers and pairs. The events are classic lap-based mountain bike races with 3 race distance classifications, Hero (long ~75km), Adventure (medium ~50km) and Challenge (short ~25km).
The exact number of laps will be announced during in the rider’s brief. The exact distance may vary based on the lap distance at any specific venue.
These events aim to reward as many riders as possible with prizes at each event and across the series. There are age-group and eBike category podiums. The races have Age Group Categories for solos and pairs teams in all the distance challenges. There will also be four specialty Awards including KOM/QOM, as well as outright male and female titles in the three distance classifications with Winners number plates. Fastest lap times among the juniors outright will receive race entries as part of Rocky Trail’s ongoing grassroots development support. E-Bikes are welcome; riders need to adhere to the Rocky Trail’s eBike policy.
Three Races In One – You Pick Your Distance!
Total Distance ~25km
Get a taste for mountain bike racing! This classification is designed to be not all about fitness, but rewards overall bike skills and determination to make it a fun day out on rocky trails.
Total Distance ~50km
Looking for a more challenging ride? Our Adventure Distance is the way to go. Do more laps and test your limits! Make this a smashfest or a fun day out.
Total Distance ~75km
This is where pros, semi-pros and weekend warriors race. Hard. It will put your endurance and skills to the test and make your mark in the Hero Distance results.
What’s the Format?
Solo or Pairs
Ride solo for the ultimate challenge or hit the trails as a pair (hero) and have double the fun, the choice is yours!
We aim to create 8-10km cross-country circuits and three different distance classifications: Challenge (shortest), Adventure (middle) and Hero (longest) distance classifications.
How many laps?
The number of laps required to be completed in each distance classification will be based on the terrain and conditions of each race track – therefore vary per event!
Your Age group will automatically be assigned during the registration process based on your Year of Birth. All fees are per person.
- Solo Adult Male & Female – $89
- Solo U19 Male & Female – $59
- Pairs Adult Male & Female – $75 pp
- Pairs Junior Male & Female – $37.50 pp
- Open Adult eBike – N/A
- Open U19 eBike – N/A
- Solo Adult Male & Female – $89
- Solo U19 Male & Female – $59
- Open Adult eBike – $89
- Open U19 eBike – $59
- Solo Adult Male & Female – $69
- Solo U19 Male & Female – $39
All fees are per person. Age determination day is December 31 of the current racing year, meaning how old you are at the end of the year determines which Age group category you can race in.
Your Age group will automatically be assigned during the registration process based on your Year of Birth.
- Male and Female Junior U13
- Male and Female Junior U15
- Male and Female Junior U17
- Male and Female Junior U19
- Male and Female Junior Pairs U19
- Male and Female 19-29
- Male and Female 30-39
- Male and Female 40-49
- Male and Female 50-59
- Male and Female 60+
- Male and Female Open e-Bike
- Male and Female Open Pairs
- Male and Female Masters Pairs
- Mixed Pairs
At every round there is four individual classification awards that include your own colour coded “Classification Plate”.
- Yellow Plate – Outright Solo Male and Female Hero “Hero Classification”
- Polka Dot Plate – “Hill Climb Classification” awarded to fastest Male and Female on the KOM / QOM segment.
- White Plate – Outright Solo Male and Female winners in “Challenge Classification”
- Green Plate – Outright Solo Male and Female winners in “Adventure Classification”
- Juniors: Fastest Lap Times Male and Female awarded race entry for future event as part of Rocky Trail’s ongoing grassroots development support.
Major classification awards are not applicable to Pairs and ebike categories. Prize for 1st place getters in each category. Random prize draw among entire field, announced via results list online.
Your Shimano GP registration includes the following:
- Personalised Race Plate with timing chip & results QR
- Colour coded personalised classification award winners plates
- Points score in the Rocky Trail Pace Points system
- Live Timing throughout the event
- Free photos of you on track by professional crew of photographers
- Free giveaways
- Prize for 1st place getters in each category
- Random prize draw among entire field, announced via results list online
- Professional First Aid
- Race Starters on all stages
- Event Marshalls
- Event Village with music and race commentary
- Food, Coffee & Drinks Vendors
- Neutral Service / Repairs
- Sponsor Expo & Demonstrations
All Shimano GP events are part of Rocky Trail’s cross-country racing line-up of events and in 2023 we are implementing our “Pace Points System”. Competitors will be able to accumulate points across all our cross-country events, including our marathon and ultra-endurance events. A pace-based algorithm developed by Rocky Trail will produce an innovative ranking output and you may just score big with Pace Points!
You’ll be able not only to reach your goals but to earn Rocky Trail Rewards too!
The rules are relatively simple:
- No race plate no race
- Always respect other riders no matter their skill, speed, age or gender
- Start: There will be one mass start. Riders will be able to self-seed.
- Duration: Riders have 4 hours to complete their laps. Riders will not be able to start another lap after the 4 hours of elapsed time but may finish the lap they are on.
- Completion: If a rider fails to complete the number of laps signed up in the to do in 4 hours, they will be ranked based on the time taken and the number of laps they did complete and will be recorded in the results as “-n Laps”.
- Transition: A transition lane will be provided for pairs racers after the finish line. The to transition to the next rider the teams’ wheels must cross on a plane perpendicular to the direction of the trace track. There is no need for physical touch.
- Rider down procedure: probably the most important rule of all: if you come to an accident out on the track you MUST stop and make sure the rider is ok. If he/she is not, stay with him/her and send the next rider straight back to the event centre to let us know what happened. If you lose time while helping an injured rider we will adjust your lap time at the end of the race. The race directors phone number is on every race plate. We recommend you carry a mobile phone.
- Passing: being friendly out on the track goes a long way. Let the rider you are about to pass know when and on which side. E.g. “rider coming up, passing on your right when you are ready”. Then say thanks and keep on smashing it. If you are riding in a train let the rider in front know how many people will pass him/her. If you are being passed, find the next best place to move to the side and let them pass.
- PAIRS: Only one rider in a pair is allowed on the track at any one time. Pairs riders must complete equal or close to equal number of laps
- If you leave the track you must return to the same point before continuing your race
- Outside assistance is only allowed within the transition/pit area. Outside assistance can be provided by other riders whilst out on track.
- No shortcutting or “local lines” outside the bunted track
- All bikes and rider safety equipment must comply with the Australian Standards
- eBikes must be unmodified and comply with current Australian standards. Read more about our eBike policy here…
- All riders must agree to a Race Waiver when they sign up online or at the race on-site
Transfer or Cancel Entry
I Wish To Transfer
In case you can’t make it to the event you can transfer it to someone else or use it for a future event, but you have to let us know before the event by sending an email to email@example.com
I Wish To Cancel
If you wish to cancel your entry simply send us an email. No need for doctor’s certificates or any explanations.
Up to 1 week prior to the event you will receive 80% of your entry back. With less than a week to go we are not able to do refunds but you can either transfer the entry to someone else or get it credited towards another Rocky Trail Entertainment within the next 12 months. We are not able to give any refunds or credits after the race has commenced..
You are responsible to cover yourself for the race.
Flip Insurance is a new Event Partner for Fox Superflow® and Rocky Trail cross-country events; you can find some more information here.
All Rocky Trail events have the Ecotourism Australia Nature Certification status. This ECO Certification program is a world first and it has been developed to address the need to identify genuine nature and ecotourism operators. This means that with Rocky Trail you are guaranteed to be part of a genuine and authentic trail-based nature experience that looks after the environment.
Our Sustainability Pledge – We encourage our racers to follow some simple tips to ‘tread softly’ when visiting the bush and minimise damage to the natural environment. These guidelines are laid out in our Sustainability Policy and will be communicated and encouraged via Rider Briefings and at the events.
You must be logged in to post a comment.