Presenting: The Rocky Trail Shootout.
It’s the way WE want to race a pump track.
It is time for something uniquely new in the Rocky Trail world. Be a part of it to be able to say: I was there at the beginning!
Be ready for a new kind of Pump Track Challenge as Rocky Trail Entertainment introduces a revolutionary new racing format with LIVE timing throughout the event!
The Rocky Trail team developed a brand-new, chip-based pump track timing set-up and format, which has never been raced in this way before. In the World! And it will be launched on the Sunshine Coast’s brand-new Pump Track at Sugar Bag for $20 a head. Booom!
Based on our proven Superflow® timing files, there will be 4 heats to determine the outright Male and Female winners. Race participants across a wide range of age groups can clock in multiple race times and the fastest group of racers in male and female classifications will progress through the final Shootout Heat. Each event will stipulate the size of the heats, so check out the race rules for Sugar Bag below – we are able to customise each race perfectly to the type of pump track we’re racing on!
And here’e the kicker – you will also race for rankings across age categories based on your fastest time throughout the day in additional male and female adult and junior age classifications!
So keep pumping, keep pedalling and keep clocking those times in to get to the SHOOTOUT final heat – the crowd will be watching and cheering for you, LIVE onsite and online!
The Sugarbag Mountain Bike Trails and the brand new Pump Track are right in the middle of Caloundra and the perfect ‘rocky trail’ venue: an amazing array of trails, a dedicated local club with the Coloundra Off Road Cycling Association (CORCA) plus a council committed to ongoing investment into the sport of Mountain Biking – you will love it as much as we do, we’re sure! We would like to thank the Sunshine Coast Council for their support.
Sugar Bag will also be hosting the Rocky Trail Academy Sunshine Coast Schools Comp on the Friday and the Shimano MTB GP 4+6 Hour cross-country race on the Saturday from 9am. The Shootout will commence after the XC race finish. See schedule track details and below.
Rules and Format
- No peddling. Rollers and turns are used to generate speed by pumping the bike, not by pedalling.
- Bikes must have at least 1 working brake.
- Wheelsize – after some discussions we decided not to restrict wheelsize for this event. The finals might be split into groups based on type of bike/wheelsize. The race director will decide that on the day.
- Helmets must always be worn whilst using the pump track. Rocky Trail recommends the use of additional protective equipment including but not limited to knee and elbow pads and full fingered gloves.
- A single timing point will be clearly marked. The rider gets up to speed, time starts running as soon as the rider crosses the start / finish timing unit, time stops when the rider crosses the unit again.
- Course will be marked. Riders must stay on the course. If riders shortcut the track, the rider’s run will not count and riders will be warned. A rider who regularly short cuts may be relegated to last place in the heat or final.
- Racers must have a race plate fitted to their handlebars of their bike as instructed.
All registered riders are welcome to have as multiple runs to set their fastest times. Results will be posted live online.
- The fastest 64* riders will be welcome to set a time in Heat 2.
Riders may have multiple runs to set their fastest time.
- The fastest 32* riders will be welcome to set a time in Heat 3.
Riders may have multiple runs to set their fastest time.
- Fastest 16* riders will progress to the Final.
- * rider numbers may be adjusted before racestart depending on total registered riders
- Finals will either be time trial or head-to-head at the discretion of the Race Director and depending on the track.
- Time Trial Format
For the finals riders will only have 2 attempts to set the fast time.
Start order will be slowest qualifier to fastest qualifier
- Head-to-Head Format
Riders will be seeded as per the elimination tree (i.e. 1st v 16th, …… 2nd v 15th)
The 2 riders must start together at the whistle… Jumping the start will result in relegation
The finish will be judged by a panel. Ties will be awarded to the fastest qualifier.
- Time Trial Format
- There will be 2 main categories for racing “Men” and “Women”. They will race at the same time in an open session in each Heat but separately for the Final. Dedicated sessions may be scheduled during the Heats depending on the number of entries.
- There will also be “Age Categories” offered and they will be determined at the end of racing with riders ranked in their category based on their fastest time clocked throughout the day.
$20 per rider
9:00am – 3:30pm Shimano MTB GP
from 10am Rocky Trail Shootout registration open
3.30pm Heats and Finals which will be under lights
8pm Event finished and Race Village closes
Sugar Bag MTB Trails – Sugar Bag Rd, Caloundra West QLD 4551
The new redevelopment has limited onsite parking, therefore we have created a Stop, Drop and Go zone for all riders to utilise. Arrive early to allow enough time to park and return to the event hub for registration and racing.
Offsite Parking areas available are:
- Caloundra High School Carpark
- 4wd power easement adjacent to event hub
- Power Line easement access from Mark Road East (lower industrial area)
- Street parking Mark Road & Enterprise Road
- Coffee & Food
- Toilet facilities
- First Aid services
A big shout-out to Hit Bikes for providing mechanical support on race day! is a Sunshine Coast based mountain bike specialist business that was originally established in Moffat Beach and is now located right next to the local Caloundra mountain bike trail network at Sugarbag Road.
Prizes will be awarded to the top 3 Male and Female racers.
Destination & Plan your Trip
This race is supported by Sunshine Coast Regional Council and we would like to thank the local CORCA Club for their endorsement! Check out our Destination Guide for #rockytrailracers with great accommodation deals and experiences that await off the race track!
Important: Special COVID-19 Race Rules in place!
All competitors need to sign up online and please note that event Check-In is mandatory for any non-racer incl. spectators and supporter. Media representatives please get your event accreditation by contacting us ahead or get it on the day at the registration desk. Everyone must CHECK IN via the relevant Covid Check-In App with the QR Code displayed at the registration desk in the Rocky Trail event centre. Find App download and state/territory-specific information via our Covid Check-In portal!
“The team ran an awesome event over the weekend. I’ve been racing for 9 years and their organisation and positive energy matches that of national and international events. I’ll definitely be back with my team.”
Fantastic, well run events with character!
If you have ever been to a BMX race or our 4X races that we started Rocky Trail Entertainment If you have ever been to a BMX race or our 4X races that we started with Rocky Trail Entertainment with in 2008, you know that the next sound is a big fat BEEEEEEP, the gate
The first ever Shootout Race – Rocky Trail’s take on pumptrack racing! Congratulations to our very first Rocky Trail Shootout winner Jayce Cunning! A massive shout-out to the crew from Hitbikes for the support and the legends from the local CORCA Club, the builders from Trailworx and the Sunshine Coast Council – you helped us
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)