Presenting: The Rocky Trail Shootout.
It’s the way WE want to race a pump track!
Get ready get loud – we are returning with an epic pumptrack shootout edition for 2022. Due to popular demand we are splitting the competition into two sessions (Junior and Senior) of action packed excitement. This will allow for more riders more fun.
The Rocky Trail team developed a brand-new, chip-based pump track timing set-up and format based on our popular Superflow® races.
There will be 4 heats to determine the outright Male and Female winners. Race participants across a wide range of age groups can clock in multiple race times and the fastest group of racers in male and female classifications will progress through the final Shootout Heat. Each event will stipulate the size of the heats, so check out the race rules for Sugar Bag below – we are able to customise each race perfectly to the type of pump track we’re racing on!
And here’e the kicker – you will also race for rankings across age categories based on your fastest time throughout the day in additional male and female adult and junior age classifications!
- First Session 2022 – Juniors 5 to U15 (Top 8 will automatically qualify to Heat 2)
- Second Session 2022 – Seniors U17+
So keep pumping, keep pedalling and keep clocking those times in to get to the SHOOTOUT final heat – the crowd will be watching and cheering for you, LIVE onsite and online!
The Sugarbag Mountain Bike Trails and Pump Track are right in the middle of Caloundra and the perfect ‘rocky trail’ venue: an amazing array of trails, a dedicated local club with the Caloundra Off Road Cycling Association (CORCA) plus a council committed to ongoing investment into the sport of Mountain Biking – you will love it as much as we do, we’re sure! We would like to thank the Sunshine Coast Council for their support.
Sugar Bag will also be hosting the Rocky Trail Academy Sunshine Coast Schools Comp on the Friday and the Shimano MTB GP 4 Hour cross-country race on the Saturday from 9am.
The Shootout Registration and plate collection (for those already registered) will be available from 2:00 – 5:00 PM see schedule track details and below. Please allow time prior to your heat to collect your plate.
Rules and Format
- No pedaling for advantage. Rollers and turns are used to generate speed by pumping the bike, not by pedaling.
- Bikes must have at least 1 working brake.
- Wheelsize – open to all wheel sizes.
- Helmets must always be worn whilst using the pump track. Rocky Trail recommends the use of additional protective equipment including but not limited to knee and elbow pads and full fingered gloves.
- A single timing point will be clearly marked. The rider gets up to speed, time starts running as soon as the rider crosses the start / finish timing unit, time stops when the rider crosses the unit again.
- Course will be marked. Riders must stay on the course. If riders shortcut the track, the rider’s run will not count and riders will be warned. A rider who regularly short cuts may be relegated to last place in the heat or final.
- Racers must have a race plate fitted to their handlebars of their bike as instructed.
All registered riders are welcome to have multiple runs to set their fastest times. Results will be posted live online.
- The number of riders to qualify to progress to the next heat may be adjusted before the heat starts depending on total registered riders and the time.
- Finals will either be time trials or head-to-head at the discretion of the Race Director and depending on the track.
- Time Trial Format
For the finals riders will only have 2 attempts to set the fast time.
Start order will be slowest qualifier to fastest qualifier
- Head-to-Head Format
Riders will be seeded as per the elimination tree (i.e. 1st v 16th, …… 2nd v 15th)
The 2 riders must start together at the whistle… Jumping the start will result in relegation
The finish will be judged by a panel. Ties will be awarded to the fastest qualifier.
- Time Trial Format
- There will be 2 main categories for racing “Men” and “Women”. They will race at the same time in an open session in each Heat but separately for the Final. Dedicated sessions may be scheduled during the Heats depending on the number of entries.
- There will also be “Age Categories” offered and they will be determined at the end of racing with riders ranked in their category based on their fastest time clocked throughout the day.
$20 per rider
|Event Village open||7:30 AM|
|Shimano MTB GP Race||9:00 AM – 2:00 PM|
|Rocky Trail Shootout Registration And Plate Collection||2:00 PM – 5:00 PM|
|U15 Junior Racing||3:00 PM to 5.00 PM|
|Main Event with Senior Qualification and Racing Heats||5:00 PM|
Sugar Bag MTB Trails – Sugar Bag Rd, Caloundra West QLD 4551
The new redevelopment has limited onsite parking, therefore we have created a Stop, Drop and Go zone for all riders to utilise. Arrive early to allow enough time to park and return to the event hub for registration and racing.
Offsite Parking areas available are:
- Caloundra High School Carpark
- Power Line easement access from Mark Road East (lower industrial area)
- Street parking Mark Road & Enterprise Road
- Grab your first coffee of the day from Johnno at Groupset Coffee
- Toilet facilities
- First Aid services
A big shout-out to Hit Bikes for providing mechanical support on race day! is a Sunshine Coast based mountain bike specialist business that was originally established in Moffat Beach and is now located right next to the local Caloundra mountain bike trail network at Sugarbag Road.
Prizes will be awarded to the top 3 Male and Female racers.
Destination & Plan your Trip
This race is supported by Sunshine Coast Regional Council and we would like to thank the local CORCA Club for their endorsement! Check out our Destination Guide for #rockytrailracers with great accommodation deals and experiences that await off the race track!
“The team ran an awesome event over the weekend. I’ve been racing for 9 years and their organisation and positive energy matches that of national and international events. I’ll definitely be back with my team.”
Fantastic, well run events with character!
Central Gippsland and Latrobe City is the perfect place for a getaway with cool, temperate rainforests, amazing walking and cycling tracks, 90 miles of unspoiled beaches, an abundance of lakes and rivers, spectacular views and a myriad of heritage to sink yourself into. Covering an expanse that reaches from the rugged high country right down
It’s Rocky Trail race weekend and awesome to have you at the startline with us at the Sunshine Coast Shootout! We are excited to bring the Rocky Trail Pump Track Shootout party to town! We have all the important last minute updates for you: Rider list & LIVE Results: CLICK HERE Venue: Sugar Bag MTB Park, ColoundraGoogle
With Rocky Trail Entertainment one of Australia’s major private mountain bike events promoter and trail advocate group will return to the sweet Sugar Bag trails with a full weekend of mountain bike racing. The three-day event will feature four competitions supported by the Sunshine Council and endorsed by the local CORCA MTB Club. The line-up
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)