Important event update 12.02.2021:
The Alpenflow at Mt Buller will be an Epic Ride in March 2021. – We have made the decision to convert the marathon race into a Gran Fondo style untimed riding adventure.
There are a few reasons:
In short we don’t think we will get the numbers necessary to run a successful Marathon race in this edition. Borders constantly opening and closing means that interstate riders are understandably reluctant to enter and there are also other logistical considerations which make planning events extra challenging in 2020 as well as 2021. At the same time our Fox Superflow event at Mt Buller is looking to be a very big one.
Race director Martin says:
‘When I rode the track for the first time last year I was blown away how amazing it is. I grew up in Austria and ride and race there too and know the feeling you get when doing an amazing climb, coupled with great views, throw in some hectic descents and all you can do is smile for 4-6 hours. This is the only track I have ridden in Australia that comes close to this experience.’Martin Wisata, Aplenflow Race Weekend Director
This is the main reason why we want to amend the format rather than postpone it.
What is included:
- several ride leaders riding with the different groups
- feed zone 1 at the Mt Stirling cafe (coffee and snacks included in entry fee)
- feed zone 2 at Mirimbah
- action shots taken by our race photographers included in the entry fee
- free pair of Rocky Trail socks
About the ride:
In the spirit of resilience, we bring you the Alpenflow Epic Ride at Mt Buller in 2021. With our Austrian alpine roots, suffice to say the Rocky Trail crew has been looking for this type of race track in Australia since we founded this business in 2008.
This unique event features a giant circuit starting in the heart of the Buller Village and takes its warriors out onto the amazing alpine trails and lets you dive into the iconic wilderness surrounds that Buller is so renowned for.
This will be a cross-country marathon adventure at its best! Let the trails do the talking: Family Trail, Soul Revival, One Tree Hill, Gang Gangs, Australian Alpine Epic Trail, Delitite River Trail, River Spur Trail, Stirling Circuit Rd, Cornhill Rd, Split Rock, Family Trail. All up an Epic 70km ride that will be truly unforgettable.
- We start in the heart of the Buller Village and are heading East on the Family Trail, making our way via Soul Revivial, One Tree Hill and Gang Gangs to the main Australian Alpine Epic Trail.
- We stay on the full Australian Epic Trail with an awesome descent into the first Finish 1 at Mirimbah Park. Finish there and enjoy the company of your family and fans as they await you or pre-book a shuttle add-on to get back up to the Buller Village.
- The full distance racers will continue on the Delitite River Trail.
- On the menu then to climb up: River Spur Trail, Stirling Circuit Rd, Cornhill Road, Split Rock and the Family Trail towards the Finish 2 at Village Square!
- Estimated vertical climbing (based on first Course Planning ride, we aim to update the vm in the week leading up to the event):
- 1709m climb for the first 50km
- 2640m climb for the 70km
Jump over to the event website for more information event information including feedzones.
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)