Skills clinics for young mountain bikers inspired by the James Williamson legacy.
The Willo Junior Development Program was set up in honour of James Williamson by his aunt Meg Patey as part of event lead-up to the annual Willo Marathon. It is now managed by Rocky Trail Entertainment under their Rocky Trail Academy portfolio. The clinics are hosted by Ride Technics under the lead coach Dylan Cooper, one of James’ best friends as well as riding and racing buddies.
Geared towards 12-17 year old riders with some MTB experience, this is a 2-day course, which will prepare junior riders for the racing environment with fun group rides applying skills learned as well as a race simulation session on day 2.
For many young athletes and skills clinics participants The Willo Marathon will continue to provide the opportunity to experience their first thrill of racing every year. The Willo Clinics will provide the perfect preparation and motivation to get into racing.
We are proud that all the key event sponsors, supporters and volunteers have been involved for over a decade. With the new 2-day Willo Clinic format the Rocky Trail Team is committed to continue one of the key components of The Willo. It is our absolute pleasure to be offering junior development opportunities for regional kids and are hoping to expand them to more locations in years to come.
Dates and Venues
- Cost: $60 per participant
- 2 day clinic (9am to 3pm) for secondary school students
- Coaches: Ride Technics – Dylan Cooper & Rowan Beggs-French
- Minimum age: 12 years at the end of the year
- Maximum age: 17 years at the end of the year
- 30 spots available at each venue
- Experience: Previous off road riding and/or racing experience is necessary. Parents/guardians can indicate previous riding/racing experience during the registration process and the coaches will be able to adjust their approach accordingly.
- Optional: participants can order an official Willo jersey for $85 (owayo brand, mail-out in March/April 2021) when signing up online
- Accommodation: participants must organise accommodation at their own expense if required; parents/guardians are required to accompany the under age skills clinics participants for the overnight stay if required.
- Lunch and Snacks: participants must bring their own supplies.
- Water, hydration: participants are encouraged to bring their own supplies.
- Insurance: no insurance no requirement to be a member of any organisation, all participants’ parents/guardians must agree to the Ride Technics personal waiver upon registering.
- Cancellation/refund policy: the Rocky Trail cancellation and refund policy applies.
- Online registration essential
- Cost: $85 per unit (XC jersey or Gravity shirt)
This is the draft design for the 2021 jersey, which you will be able to pre-order when you sign up for the skills clinics online. With Covid-19 delays and expected logistics challenges in early 2021, we expect that we can mail the jerseys out in late March/early April 2021. If you wish to order a jersey together with your entry please select the style and size first. Owayo have their own sizing charts which are here:
9am-9:30am Meet and introduction
9:30am-10:30am Bike checks and intro mechanical session
10:30am-12:00pm Skills testing and bike-trail interaction session
12:00pm-12:45pm LUNCH BREAK
12:45pm-2:15pm ‘Raw skills’phase 1
2:15pm-3:00pm Fun group ride, applying skills learned
9am-9:30am ‘Raw skills’ phase 2
9:30am-10:30am Fun group ride, applying skills learned
10:30am-12:00pm Advanced skills session
12:00pm-12:45pm LUNCH BREAK
12:45pm-2:15pm ‘Race craft’ and race simulation session
2:15pm-3:00pm Fun relay race
Ride Technics will be delivering the Willo Junior Clinics with support from Rocky Trail Entertainment. The lead coach is Dylan Cooper, one of James’ best friends and a #rockytrailracer from day one.
The team has been providing the highest level of MTB skills coaching for riders of all levels and all mountain biking disciplines for over 25 years. Their highly experienced and fully accredited coaches guarantee results through the use of proven methods and ongoing support. They’re basically obsessed with bike handling technique and have decades of international level competition experience that they can pass on to riders of any level to maximise rider development.
For more information visit ridetechnics.com.au
Willo Event News
Skills Clinic Report 2019
The Willo is a marathon race unlike any other.
The Willo is a one day event celebrating the life of mountain bike champion James Williamson, who died in March 2010 at the age of 26. James was a top-level XCO and XCM rider. He was passionate about the sport in every way, as well as being an Australian and World 24 hour champion.
Over the past decade the Willo has established itself as one of the top mountain bike marathons on the Australian cycling racing calendars and it has become an annual reminder to all riders of the joys of mountain biking as well as the impact James had on the sport.
The Willo was set up in honour of James by his aunt Meg Patey and is now managed by Rocky Trail Entertainment under her patronage.
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)