This is the final round of the Gippsland Cross-Country Series 2022, featuring Rocky Trail’s VIC Shimano GP Series!
Welcome to the Whipstick Gully network of trails, home to the Prom Coast MTB club. Centrally located in the quaint township of Foster and surrounded by fantastic local produce. We are sure to be in for a treat this weekend. The skies are now shining blue with lots of drying winds to get us ready for our final race in Victoria for 2022. Spread the word, racing is on, and the skies are blue!
Make this a smashfest, show off your sponsor logos, re-kindle your love for XC racing or catch the racing bug with us!
We look forward to our first Rocky Trail event at Prom Coast with Round 3 of the Gippsland XC Series, with the support of the Prom Cost MTB club and Destination Gippsland.
We can’t wait to see you smashing it! Remember, your race photos are included in your entry. Be sure to download them after the race and share your stories using:
ABOUT the venue
Whipstick Gully Natural Features Reserve is centrally located on the south east of Foster township.
Event Hub Access
Important! Access to the Event hub and parking is from Station Road – please note that some devices/Google will lead you via Hope Street, but please go via STATION ROAD! Accurate link here. Then turn into the East Gippsland Rail Trail carpark and follow the flags and signage.
Parking: click here for map
Overflow parking will be along Lower Franklin Road into the flat carpark space. The event hub will be located within the grounds of the local Mens Shed.
Pack your swimmers for this one! Race in the morning cool off in the afternoon at many coastal inlets. The trail network of Whipstick Gully will have you twisting and turning and keeping you guessing all the way. The local club is excited to be bringing more racing to the region with future plans for more trail expansion in due course.
Finally some blue skies before late thunderstorms into the evening. Daytime temps may reach 27C so come prepared for a chilly start before heating up.
Solo racers and pairs teams race for 4 hours and receive a placing across age categories for adults and junior shredders and in the General Classification (GC).
- 9am mass start for all riders
- Complete as many laps as you can in 4 hours.
- You may start your last lap by 12:59pm (the 3:59 hour mark) and that lap still counts.
- Solos – you keep going round and round.
- Teams – this is a pairs relay. Only one of you may be out on the race track at any time. There are now strict rules on how many laps each pairs racer must complete. As soon as the team records one lap you’re in the results.
Schedule – for all participants
Tracks will be marked and open for practice. No medical or marshalls onsite.
7:30-8:45 am Registration open to pick up your number plate.
8.45 am Rider call up, be race ready.
9 am Race start
1.00 pm Race finish – you finish the lap you are on but can’t start a new one.
approx. 1.45pm Last Rider and Sweeper across the line and event finishes.
2.00 pm Ceremony
Race plates with passive timing chips, automatic race timing and LIVE results online all day.
Event Facilities & Services:
- FOOD – Good news! A local community group will be onsite with bacon & eggs ready in the morning, then yummy burgers for lunch. Please support the people who support our events.
- COFFEE – Not on site but only 2 mins up the road in town. Grab one on your way to the event hub.
- WATER – The council community water van will be onsite and setup for all your drinking needs.
- TOILETS – Two portaloos will be located within the event hub.
- MEDICAL – Will be based in the event centre and roaming out on track.
- TEAM MARQUEES – Are welcome to be set up, we have plenty of room on site. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or text 0424 955 332 to confirm your spot.
Rider List and Results
All weekend you can find links to Rider List and LIVE Results via the drop-down menu from the event page on our website! Before the race day the page will display the RIDER LIST and from the race start onwards it will switch to LIVE then on Sunday after the race to final results. You can check these now and throughout the weekend via your mobile devices – to reduce touch points we will not have any public display computers on-site.
Race Director – Bob Morris 0458 299 558
Event Manager Jo Parker 0424 955 332
DESTINATION & GETTING HERE
The Prom Coast is Victoria’s largest coastal wilderness area nestled amongst Wilsons Promontory National Park. It is one of the state’s best loved parks – and with good reason.
This 50,000 hectare reserve is threaded with a labyrinth of walking tracks that showcase all manner of magical realms sheltering abundant native wildlife.
The Prom Coast Mountain Bike Trails are situated in the Whipstick Gully Natural Features Reserve in Foster and are the perfect location to explore the region.
GIPPSLAND CROSS-COUNTRY MTB SERIES
This event is part of a 3-Race Series in Gippsland in 2022! Rocky Trail have put together three epic cross country mountain bike events over three weekends across Central Gippsland in October and November this year. Race all events and win a pair of Rocky Trail Racing Socks! Find out more!
GP: What you’re racing for
Each race offers official winners race plates, which is a set of special additional classifications:
- KOM/QOM with a polka dot race plate,
- Junior Sprint Winner (male/female U18 fastest lap time) in white,
- Best Sprinter for the fastest adult lap time (male/female) in green and a
- Solo GC Winner plate in yellow for male and female outright solo winners.
Racing the series
We will deliver the most expansive 4-Hour XC Series with events in NSW, ACT, QLD and VIC. Here is the the way we will calculate points:
- You will get points against your name in the category you are racing in. Meaning that if you swap teams, which is likely to happen with such a big line up of events, you will not lose your hard earned points but keep accumulating them.
- Each event offers a stand-alone race and race winners in the age categories are awarded with trophy number plates and accolade plaques, which can be collected and displayed on the number plates.
- Each race also offers the opportunity to accumulate points to go into the overall series ranking and the new points classification across all Rocky Trail events, which will form the “league of extraordinary #rockytrailracers.”
- Each race result and the relevant points count towards a rider’s series rankings.
- The series will be split into: NSW/ACT, Queensland, Victoria and additionally we will crown the overall Australian Shimano MTB GP Champions.
- Riders need to complete at least 2 races in one category to be eligible for an individual series podium ranking. Every race counts.
VIC Series Design template (with Shimano MTB GP and custom-name design)
You don’t need to be a member of any cycling association to race with Rocky Trail. Some offer great insurance packages which are worthwhile checking out and you are in charge of your own health insurance when racing with us.
Rocky Trail Merchandise:
- Rocky Trail Jerseys designed by Dharco $75-$85
- New Rocky Trail X Sendy Hoodies $65 and T-shirts $35
- Socks $15
- Mudguards $20
- Rocky Trail hats made from recycled materials “eco-choice” $30
- Available from the Rocky Trail rego desk all weekend!
Rocky Trail X Dharco Jerseys
Rocky Trail X Sendy Hoodies & T-shirts
Outer Image Collective photographers will be on site to snap that action photo you have been dreaming about.
Rocky Trail is always looking for crew to support the riders. If you can lend a hand, complete our online form https://rockytrailentertainment.com/home/volunteering/ or contact Jo at email@example.com to be part of the team. Riders luv seeing supporters at our events.
Event updates during the race / weekend:
We always announce any major updates including any new COVID restriction announcements mainly via the FB event page, as well as our news blog and email newsletters.
COVID-specific Event Guidelines
Rocky Trail Entertainment has all required Covid Safety plans and requirements in place.
We ask that if you are showing any signs of the cold or flu or have a fever, that you please NOT come to the race. Please contact us immediately and we will transfer or refund your entry.
Now, get ready!
Rocky Trail race vibes on the go!
Listen to Rocky Trail Radio powered by earSHOTS to get ready to race!
Do you have any questions?
Talk to us via our online chat – click on the orange circle symbol on your bottom right screen corner and we’ll be right with you! (We always love talking bikes, racing and riding!)
You must be logged in to post a comment.